PDA

View Full Version : THE NEW - 28 CALIBER BULLET 285228 (Shooting and Fishing, vol 30 May 2, 1901)

ohland
06-28-2015, 11:44 AM
THE NEW - 28 CALIBER BULLET.

Shooting and Fishing (American Rifleman), Volume 30, page 50, 2 May 1901

https://books.google.com/books?id=b5cwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA50&dq=ideal+mfg+anderton+design&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GBSQVfCTDMHroATwlabADw&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ideal%20mfg%20anderton%20design&f=true

I noticed in the issue of April 4 a new hollow point .28 cal, bullet No. 285228, just perfected by the Ideal Manufacturing Co. It struck me it was about the right thing for my .28 cal. Pope for 'chuck shooting and I at once ordered a mold. When it arrived I gave it to friend Spencer and ordered some bullets cast, alloy 1 to 32, but expected to do considerable experimenting in order to be well equipped for my May shooting. Last Saturday I took them to Walnut Hill to test them on the machine rest. I loaded twelve shells, using No. 6'4 U. M. C. nitro primers, about 4 grains of DuPont No. 1 rifle smokeless for priming. filled remainder of shell with King's CG Semi-Smokeless powder to within 4 inch of muzzle, and Skinner's plastic lubricating wad on top, then seating bullet in shell covering two grooves, remainder of bullet standing out from shell as I always have it in my hunting charge, using two cartridges to line up the rest at 50 yards. I then made a group of ten consecutive shots, which I inclose for the benefit of readers of SHOOTING AND FISHING who might be interested in this bullet. The circle around the group is the size of a nickel. H. A. BAKER

ohland
06-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Iron Age, vol 67 April 4, 1901, pg 63

https://books.google.com/books?id=gJY-AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA11-PA63&dq=ideal+mfg+285228&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CheQVbOSFIHWoASfyLCICg&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=ideal%20mfg%20285228&f=false

Ideal Bullet No. 285228.
The Ideal Mfg. Company, New haven, Conn., are prepared to furnish molds for the bullet shown in the accompanying cut. The bullet is designed for use in the .28 caliber Stevens and Pope's rifles, and it also the proper diameter, it is stated, for the 7-mm Spanish Mauser rifles. Many of the 7-mm. rifles were purchased as relics at the close of the Spanish war, and many of them have proved accurate, but, it is explained. altogether too powerful for use on small game near settlements. The bullet illustrated, it is remarked will be found accurate for the range of 150 yards and under, when using low pressure smokeless powders. The hole in the point of the bullet is to cause it to expand and mushroom, to make it a killer. The first three figures— 285—designate the standard diameter of bullets for the arms before mentioned. The company can also furnish molds for round bullets of the same diameter, for use at extra short range and for indoor practice.

frnkeore
06-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Excellent :)