PDA

View Full Version : creating light target loads

Avidplinker
06-28-2015, 10:17 AM
I like experimenting with light loads for target shooting. I have done a lot with black powder and substitutes.
I am curious about trying light loads using smokeless powder.
I only reload straight wall cases such as 38 spec, 357, 45acp etc.
Is there a danger of pressure spikes with such cartridges?
I see where people have posted light loads as much as half the powder recommended as minimum load for particular powders.
I realize the danger of a projectile getting stuck in the barrell with too light of a load.
So, is the pressure thing rally an issue here? Thanks J

aharlow
06-28-2015, 10:40 AM
From wincherster reloader's manual 1999 "NOTE 296 powder is considered to be one of the best powders for use in magnum handgun cartridger. Recommended for these loads are the use of a Winchester or wincherster mangnum primer and a very heavy crimp (high bullet pull). Failure to follow this procedure could result in poor ignition and/or squib loads under extreme circumstances , particularyly in loads where less than 90% of the available powder space is being used (low loading density). Do not reduce powder chargers with 296 powder. Any further reduction in powder charge or change in components can cause dangerous pressures". Load data for W296/H110 has a very small window of min/max load so as long as you stay within the load data min/max you will be fine. If i was going to go with lighter plinking loads i would choose another powder such as Unique, Tightgroup, HS-6, Bullseye to name a few.

Echo
06-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Plus 1 for fast powders for popcorn loads. A light boolit and a pinch of BE makes something most kids and women (sorry!) can handle, for starters.

Boolit_Head
06-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Looking at Alliants data they only list one load for pistol. I never know what to do with that either. Is that a max/min or starting load. I was looking to create a low powered 40 S&W load and tried getting real low. Luckily I found some other data from a different source and sure enough as soon as I went below it started having issues. With some of the data out there you never really know.

Outpost75
06-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Good source of reference is

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

rsrocket1
06-29-2015, 07:22 PM
If you use a fast pistol/shotgun powder such as Red Dot, Clays, Titewad, e3, Clay Dot, you will not have a "detonation/SEE" problem no matter how low you go. You do run the risk of a stuck bullet if you go really low but you'll be down in the 300 fps area before you risk that. A good starting load is 3 grains of any of the above powders and work up/down to your taste. Just be sure the bullet exits your barrel. With an autoloader, you'll run into problems like not locking back on the last round and failure to cycle the action well before you get into the stuck bullet range of loads.

70% full cartridge capacity of Trail Boss will always work well but I've seen small calibers with Trail Boss (like 9mm) won't cycle the action. No problems with revolvers, it's just that Trail Boss is expensive and there's no need to spend that much money on light loads unless you are sloppy with your reloading habits and require a bulky powder that cannot be double charged.

runfiverun
06-29-2015, 07:34 PM
not a pressure spike per-se but you will still be generating pressure.
you might only be generating 13-14k but it will be all at once in a straight up spike.
[trail boss does the same thing with it's normal loads] low velocity does not always equal low pressure.

for 'light loads' [cowboy action/SASS gamer loads] you want light boolits and low powder charges.
2.7grs of anything fast under a 100gr boolit in your average detective special type 38 is like shooting a 22lr.
a 165 in a 45 colt with 4.5 grs of anything fast is more like a daisy BB gun because of the gun weight.