PDA

View Full Version : First casting session

beardog454
06-27-2015, 11:44 PM
After a couple months of reading posts on here and gathering supplies I was ready to take the plunge down the Lead Highway tonight. Did not cast many but getting myself aquainted with the process. After putting more then a few bullets back in the pot they started looking like they were supposed to and 2 hours later my better half asked if I was sleeping outside tonight. Uh-oh think I need to find more time for yet another hobby :bigsmyl2:. Tomorrow will be another fun learning day and I might actually get to. Load and try out a few soon!!!

jabo52521
06-27-2015, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the madness! Keep us posted on your progression and take/post pictures.
Joe

beardog454
06-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Trying to figure out pictures now lol

beardog454
06-28-2015, 12:06 AM
A few of them

Minerat
06-28-2015, 12:13 AM
Nice, It sure is fun when you get the first shoot-ables. They look good. Welcome to the club.

Hounddog
06-28-2015, 03:01 AM
If you don't have one already, try and pick up a hot plate to pre warm your molds prior to casting. When I started using my hot plate it helped to get good boolits quicker and make casting sessions more efficient.

Handloader109
06-28-2015, 07:22 AM
Tip the end of the mold in the melt for 30 sec to a minute, depending on size. Don't dunk whole thing just an end. Heat up is faster. I usually put mold over the pot to preheat while lead is melting also. Cast fast.....

mongoose33
06-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Casting boolits = quicksand. Once you dip in a toe you're sucked in and you can't get out!

Lube 'em up, size 'em if necessary, and shoot em!

beardog454
06-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the warning!!! Getting ready to cast some more today!!! Both the molds I used last night dropped .001-.002 over bore size so im gonna lube load and see how they do!!! Im ready for a big learning experience ahead

bangerjim
06-28-2015, 03:18 PM
My sincere condolences to you family! You are now diving into a bottomless black hole! We are all there......and have tons of fun!

Preheat your molds on an electric hotplate to FULL casting temp and you will get perfect drops from the 1st one. No need of wasting casting boolits and throwing them back just to heat up a mold as they did in the dark ages.

Welcome and have fun.

bangerjim

gwpercle
06-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the addiction. in a few years you will understand the reference .
If using aluminum moulds be careful with the hotplate, you can overheat and ruin a mould.
Read directions about preheating and follow carefully. I don't use hot plate with aluminum moulds anymore because I got it just a little too preheated.
Your efforts so far look just fine. Keep on Keeping on.
Gary

FISH4BUGS
06-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Hey....good job. Don't think you are an expert right away. You will be bewildered, confused, frustrated along the way and genuinely pleased when it all comes together.
You will need to understand alloying, bore size, throat size, scrounging lead, as cast size, lubes, sorting pure, zinc and lead wheel weights, smelting, temperature controls, the tinsel fairy, what gets you burned, new moulds, collecting moulds, storage of moulds, cleaning moulds, warming a mould, finning, wrinkled bullets, lube buildup on reloading dies, etc. etc. etc. and a bunch that I can't even remember.
Other than that it's really pretty simple.
p.s. Don't EVER try a Hensley & Gibbs mould. You will become a H&G junkie right away. :bigsmyl2:

beardog454
06-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Cast more today tinkered a bit with a few things and just had a ball. Now i need a few more things and my wife is not happy!!! She will be tho when she gets to shoot her guns more!! Thanks for all of the tips and great posts for a dink like me to learn from!!!

62chevy
06-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Cast more today tinkered a bit with a few things and just had a ball. Now i need a few more things and my wife is not happy!!! She will be tho when she gets to shoot her guns more!! Thanks for all of the tips and great posts for a dink like me to learn from!!!

She will come around or at least mine did. Last week she put a soup ladle in the cart for me knowing exactly what I needed. She's been a keeper for 25 years, just wish I had found her the first time around.

You boolits look fine send them down range and let us know how it went.