PDA

View Full Version : Is It Raining Where You're At #2

Hickory
06-27-2015, 04:02 PM

Been one of the wettest springs ever. The swamp's not draining very well.
Looks like my garden is pretty much washed out for the year.
It's been raining for the last 26 hours, radar shows a break soon.
Got nearly 4" of rain.

Sweetpea
06-27-2015, 04:24 PM
We got that much in 45 minutes a few years back.

Very bad news when you live in the desert!

Beagle333
06-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Yep. Heavy rain predicted tonight too. This is the first year in many that I haven't had to aerate the catfish pond during the summer. It is always predictably dry here during summer. Not this year! (SouthEast Alabama.)

Chihuahua Floyd
06-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Got about 2" in a matter 15 minutes at work one day this week, just around the office, rest of Cherokee just a little wet.
got rained out at firing range this morning. Rained on here at home 3 or 4 times, hard rain for 10-15 min, then stops.
CF

RogerDat
06-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Yes another day wife doesn't need to water the flowers, been a pretty wet spring. Rained enough in two days to fill a bread loaf pan. The cool weather is nice for casting out in the garage. Not sweating all over is one way to help avoid the tinsel fairy. Lot of outdoor projects where it being cooler makes the work easier but most of them don't go well with rain.

JeffinNZ
06-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Nope. Just been out to the range in the frost. The pea gravel is a lot easier to walk on when frozen though. One small up side.

Wayne Smith
06-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Raining here as I type this. Raining again. We are well over the normal rain. Haven't had to water the garden, just some potted plants when it got over 100 degrees.

wddodge
06-27-2015, 06:03 PM
I think I live just a bit to the south of you near the Lima area. We got the same 4" that you had. It was just beginning to dry off a bit from the 5.5" from last week.

Denny

shooter93
06-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Seems like rain every day here in Pa. and it's been raining all night and today now. And of course the Township picked this time of the year to inspect septic tanks and drain fields.

jonp
06-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Rain in NC. We needed it

timspawn
06-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Rains most every afternoon this time of year. It came early today, about ten o'clock. Thunder heads are built up now for more rain tonight.

bangerjim
06-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Got that much a couple years ago! Our average is 7 inches/year.

Had rain this AM but it evaporated B4 it hits the ground.....we call it "verga". You can see it in sheets in the distance but it is gone B4 it ever hits the ground most times. Just a few dust spots on my windshield today.

Expecting rain over the 4th.....as happens EVERY year here in the desert!!!!!!!! :veryconfu

bangerjim

bob208
06-27-2015, 08:47 PM
it has rained all but 4 days the last 3 weeks. flood warning till 8pm sunday.

Plate plinker
06-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Lots of rain here in the north in of Indiana. What a soaker.

Hickory
06-27-2015, 09:28 PM
The rain quit about 2 hrs ago.
Got another 1.8" for a total 5.8"

Herb in Pa
06-27-2015, 09:42 PM
The rain quit about 2 hrs ago.
Got another 1.8" for a total 5.8"

That's about what we got here.............

MaryB
06-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Last 3 storms have missed here...

Was wet but back to needing to water the garden once a day. Worst storm ever was 12 inches of rain in 2 hours. Where I am on the prairie it all heads for the low spots and creeks and it washed out a LOT of roads. Had a lot of people land in washed out spots and a few deaths from drowning. That was back in 2004 I think...

Artful
06-28-2015, 12:00 AM
No rain for me - DUST STORM 7-9pm

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2015, 12:05 AM
The Last two years in Glencoe, the spring has been wet...too wet. In 2013 (mid June), we got 3" of rain one day, 2" rain the next day, followed up with a 5+" rain that night. I got water (12" deep) in my two cellars for the first time ever, in the 20 years I lived in that house. In 2014 (again in mid June) we got a 9" rain in less than half a day...bad flooding...and yes, 8" of water in both Cellars.

So far, this year has been perfect for the garden, regarding rain.
Knock on wood.

MT Gianni
06-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Nope forecast is to push 100 F for the next few days. Tough as most of us don't have ac.

Frank46
06-28-2015, 12:09 AM
We have had rain mostly every day down here. Yesterday got lucky and was hot and sunny so me and the kubota went to town cutting the grass down by the bayou. I have one live oak that due to the rain and growing some of the branches are only a couple feet from the ground. Frank

Bzcraig
06-28-2015, 12:37 AM
Nope, still no rain #2

starmac
06-28-2015, 01:03 AM
We finally got some much needed rain. I went to prudhoe thursday night/friday morning, drove through one fire where you could stick a ciggerrette out of either window and light it, as the fire was burning right up to the road on both sides. So smoky at times visibility was basically nonexistant. On the way back yesterday it started raining, giving some much needed relief to the fire crews, and at least here has continued to rain, giving some much needed relief to the many fire crews trying to hold the many fires back.

Echo
06-28-2015, 02:55 AM
Our monsoon season started a week ago, meaning the humidity is up, dew point in the 40's/50's/60's - I have seen dew points in the negatives here - it is REALLY dry when the dew point is -5*! I got a little shower this afternoon, enough to settle the dust an that's about all. Temp topping in the low 100's...

dg31872
06-28-2015, 03:37 AM
Rained, rained and rained some more here in Texas. But lately it has stopped.
We may be in for a dry summer.

MediumCore358
06-28-2015, 03:57 AM
Very persistent rain today in western ny , Oddest weather the last couple of seasons that I can recall in nearly a decade.

bob208
06-28-2015, 06:54 AM
rained all last night. it has ruined us. mulberries came in rained for 3 days washed them all off. cherries came in washed them off. raspberries came in it finished them off yesterday.

375supermag
06-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Hi...

Rained all day yesterday and all night long here in southcentral PA. We were supposed to get 2-3" of rain with up to 5" locally.

My rain gauge broke some time ago and I haven't yet replaced it, so I don't have a reliable amount to report.

Much too wet to mow the grounds of the Estate today...maybe tomorrow after work.
They are calling for wind(14mph) and lower humidity today with some sun, so things should dry out enough to mow by tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise we will be bailing and selling the yard clippings as hay by the weekend.

Been a very wet and rainy period this spring/early summer...all last fall and winter also.

MrWolf
06-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Still raining here but supposed to stop today. We finally got power back early Friday morning from Tuesday's storm around 6:30 pm. We got hammered with that storm. 70+ mph winds, rained so hard for about ten minutes you could not see out the window. After rain let up went out to check; it tossed wrought iron patio furniture around like it was nothing. Luckily all I had was broken glass from the furniture. Tried to look down my street but all you saw was green from all the trees down. Trees took out power above and below me. Two roofs were hit, one car totaled, big branch through a window (folks were not home), etc.. Looked like a bomb went off it was that bad. Other places a car was flipped in a parking lot. Not sure if they are going to say a tornado formed but they are suppossedly checking. Good thing no one was hurt in my area.

doc1876
06-28-2015, 10:39 AM
I think it has rained every day for a month, either here or near here. Raining north now. This is similar to '93

bubba.50
06-28-2015, 10:43 AM
we get pop-up showers & thunderstorms about every evenin' somewhere here in southwest Virginia with the accompanying flash flood warnings runnin' across the tv screen. and a lot of hail here of late.

jonp
06-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Nope forecast is to push 100 F for the next few days. Tough as most of us don't have ac.
1st few years here we didnt either. We used a pan of ice and a fan

blackthorn
06-28-2015, 09:33 PM
104 F on the back porch this afternoon. We do have AC, one of the conditions Gail had for moving to Kamloops. Looks like we may get some rain tonight and/or tomorrow. They are calling for possible lightning tomorrow evening. That's bad because the woods are really dry. Kamloops is considered semi-desert so it is often hot and dry here in summer.

MaryB
06-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Some rain last night, made the garden perk up. 78 for a high but humid at 65%. Been just enough rain to keep me from needing to water the garden. Also the best berry year in a long time, picking gooseberries daily, palm full of raspberries today, and another 1/2 gallon of mulberries(that tree had so many berries a branch broke off!)

dragon813gt
06-29-2015, 06:18 PM
It rained almost all day Saturday into Sunday morning. I don't know what the total was but it was a lot less than the 3" they were calling for. Early spring we got very little rain. The past month it's been fairly consistent. I measure it by how often I have to water the garden and cut the grass. Only had to water the garden twice and both times were in the first week of planting in mid May. Just mowed the lawn for maybe the fifth time this year. No rain means it doesn't grow. Rain all the time means it gets out of hand and I cut it once every two weeks. Neighbors do the same thing so I don't look like the only bum on the block :laugh:

TXGunNut
06-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Still have water standing lots of places around here, going to be a good year to keep the mosquito repellant handy. Shooting buddy's garden doing quite well, brought me some pretty fantastic tomatoes yesterday.

Plate plinker
06-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Yep, once again it was raining today.

David2011
06-29-2015, 09:23 PM
It's raining right now, again, in SE New Mexico. This is the first year in in recent memory that we've made our historical averages. Four years ago we went 16 months with no rain. This year everything in the desert is blooming. It's beautiful. The reservoir that supplies Big Spring and Midland (TX) received 14 months worth of water in one recent rainfall. They were on water restrictions and really needed it.

David

crowbuster
06-29-2015, 10:45 PM
rained all last night. it has ruined us. mulberries came in rained for 3 days washed them all off. cherries came in washed them off. raspberries came in it finished them off yesterday.

Same story here Bob. Cherries molded on the tree before they were ripe and have lost tons of berries. My buddies seed wheat is in real danger of re sprouting in the field and would be a total loss. Ground is so saturated healthy trees are uprooting in the strong winds. I burn wood but don't want to get it that way. Oh, the forecast? More rain.

MaryB
06-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Wet here, weeded some of the neglected garden and I had mud feet. Tomatoes took off and are blossoming, gooseberries are starting to ripen faster than a handful a day, had 4 ripe raspberries today(ate as I stood there!). Donated a couple pints of blood to the mosquitoes even with 98.5% deet!