PDA

View Full Version : Unique powder.

45-70 Chevroner
06-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse built a new store in a nearby town (14 miles away). They had a lot of powder, of different brands. Alliant, IMR and several others. I got two one pound cans of Unique for $21.99 each and with my VA discount it came to $45.16. I haven't even seen any of these powders on the shelf In a couple of years or more. The last time I bought Unique was from Midway at $17.99 a can plus shipping plus $25.00 Hazmat, that was at least 7 years ago, I think I ordered 10 pounds at that time.

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2015, 01:56 PM
The powder situation is steadily improving. I think the market is finally beginning to stabilize.

kalison
06-27-2015, 05:03 PM
The sportsman's warehouse out here in Utah, routinely gets in Unique and Bullseye... they almost always have Hodgdon powders though... unless you want 4756 :|

Just when I can find powder every week and rebuild my supplies... the Government wants us to "reckon" our firearms situation.

runfiverun
06-27-2015, 05:26 PM
bulls-eye and unique are the only two powders I have been able to get this whole time.
I rarely use unique and have never used bulls-eye.

JeffinNZ
06-27-2015, 05:36 PM
What worries me is that after all the hoarding shooters will not be buying much and the vendors/suppliers will do it hard.

45-70 Chevroner
06-27-2015, 07:02 PM
bulls-eye and unique are the only two powders I have been able to get this whole time.
I rarely use unique and have never used bulls-eye.

I can't even imagine reloading with out Unique and Bullseye. I do use other powders but Unique is my mainstay, it would be like making biscuits with out flour.

bangerjim
06-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Like Run said, I see BE and Unique, but will not haul it home! Unique is the dirtiest powder (short of 231) I have ever used. Love TiteGroup and ETR7! Clean burning with very little to no smoke and gunk in the barrel.

Saw 32# of TiteGroup today, but I already have lots!

ohland
06-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Unique is the dirtiest powder

Nothing of the sort in the 7-30 or 6.8 SPC.

I'm not against dirty fun, but other than the slight, uniform coat of grey, there was nothing bad... Run a patch or two through and it's gone. IIRC, it was @ 8 grains of Unique behind a 285448, and @ 6 behind a 280468s.

If someone close to my guard post on the Cheddar Curtain has Unique and wants to get rid of the dirty, feelthy, bad Unique, I'll make a thunder run over and make your life better....

bangerjim
06-27-2015, 10:52 PM
I gave 3# of it away to a buddy that likes the stuff. Do not even miss it after using TiteGroup and ETR7.

banger

runfiverun
06-28-2015, 01:29 AM
I traded 8 lbs of it for 15 pounds of accurates 4100. [he wanted all the 4100 gone]
best swap I ever made.
4100 makes some super accurate loads in my 300 b.o.

SSGOldfart
06-28-2015, 01:41 AM
I can't even imagine reloading with out Unique and Bullseye. I do use other powders but Unique is my mainstay, it would be like making biscuits with out flour.
Very well said I'm in this camp myself,I've tried to keep at least 8# on hand at all times,

Chihuahua Floyd
06-28-2015, 08:18 AM
You guys are lucky. Pistol powder seems to be as available as unobtainium in western NC. I've only seem two jugs of any pistol powder I am familiar with in 7 years. Both were 8 pound jugs for over $200, which I did not have on hand at the time. LGS can't even give me a hint as to when they will have some more. Guy behind the counter yestersay in Sylva just laughed and said "I wish." Unique, Clays, Universal, Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, AA #2 or #5 ain't to be found. I'd even buy Bullseye, H-110, IMR-4227, 231, 700X just to fill some brass. Rifle powder I can find and still have, but pistol powder I can't find.
CF

bedbugbilly
06-28-2015, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't know what to do without Bulls Eye or Unique - I use both of them a lot. I'lll put up with the "dirty" Unique as both BE and Unique has been what I've been able to find along the way so am glad to get it.

I've tried getting some Trail Boss for about three years . . always a day late or a dollar short. The places I buy from say that it leaves the shelf before they can set it down.

If you have a good selection or are able to pick and choose at your supplier . . . that's great. But when the shelves are mostly bare . . . I'll gladly use BE or Unique. In fact . . . it you don't like your Unique and think it's too dirty . . . send it to me . . I'll dispose of it for you! LOL

chuckbuster
06-28-2015, 08:53 AM
BedBug
Not sure where you are in Michigan but Jay's in Clare has been getting in powder. Even had Big Jugs of H110 and Trail Boss when I was there a couple weeks ago. Pistol powder selection not as deep as rifle but had enough variety to make it worth the trip maybe.
Kevin

ipijohn
06-28-2015, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't know what to do without Bulls Eye or Unique - I use both of them a lot. I'lll put up with the "dirty" Unique as both BE and Unique has been what I've been able to find along the way so am glad to get it.

I've tried getting some Trail Boss for about three years . . always a day late or a dollar short. The places I buy from say that it leaves the shelf before they can set it down.

If you have a good selection or are able to pick and choose at your supplier . . . that's great. But when the shelves are mostly bare . . . I'll gladly use BE or Unique. In fact . . . it you don't like your Unique and think it's too dirty . . . send it to me . . I'll dispose of it for you! LOL

Bedbug, Shauntz has some of almost anything in their Plainwell store.

trapper9260
06-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Bullseye and unique it been a long time to show up here until not long ago.But even now it is limited.There is still limited alliant powders that show up but the others is now show up with out any problems.

srtolly
06-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Unique is one of my mainstays. I use it in all my .45 acp loads and it works well in my .41 magnum. I don't have issues with it being dirty when I'm close to max loads.

GRUMPA
06-28-2015, 10:18 AM
I was there last week, first time in my life I've ever been in a store that big, usually the small mom and pop type stores when I lived in Phoenix. They didn't have any pistol powders at all when I was there, and it never occurred to me to order any either. They had more reloading gear than I've ever seen in 1 place, except the big gun shows in Phoenix. I was going to grab some primers while I was there but they only had 1K of what I wanted and none in the back (I asked).

The folks they have working there are pretty good, nice to talk someone that actually reloads and knows what's going on..

Seeker
06-28-2015, 10:27 AM
I bought a couple lbs. each of Bullseye and Unique as well as 1lb of Power Pistol a week or so ago. What I can't find is Universal. Lots of powder on the shelves but nothing in the clays line.

jmsj
06-28-2015, 10:48 AM
The old man that taught me to reload back in the early 80's use to say all you needed for pistol powders was Bullseye, Unique and 2400.
I got to where I tried every "powder of the month" and ended up with a 2 cabinets of half filled jugs of powder. During a period where my company moved me a lot, I got tired of moving all the extra powder jugs I had decide not to use. I worked my way through all those powders until they were gone but I try to always keep a years supply of Bullseye, Unique and 2400.
All 3 of these powders can be dirty when used at lower pressure loadings. Once the pressure gets up into the middle or upper range they burn cleaner.
Bullseye has given me the most consistent velocities and smallest SD in 45 ACP measured over a chronograph. This consistency comes at very low powder charges, 3.6 gr.-3.8 gr. and stays consistent to it's upper range. It may be a little dirtier than WST or VV powder (Seems to be the 2 powders BE shooters like)but I still get more accurate/consistent loads using Bullseye. (YMMV)
Unique has been my mainstay for mid range pistol loads and reduced rifle loads. I don't even want think what I would replace my favorite 30/30 reduced load of 9.5 gr. of Unique under a Lyman 311008 or 10.0 gr. of Unique under a 429421 for my .44 magnum "light" load. For my SD loads in 45 ACP, Unique is my go to.
One good thing about these powders is there is tons of load data for them. These are just my observations and practices I use YMMV.
jmsj

jonp
06-28-2015, 05:14 PM
By checking the various powder suppliers online ive been able to find plenty of Unique over the past few years. I have most of a 4lb jug of BE on the shelf and hardly use it.

If you see it in stock online do not stop to decide whether to buy it or not. It will be gone when you make a decision.

One thing the shortage has done is to make me branch out into other powders I have never tried like the Vectan shotgun powders for pistol. The time taken in research and developing loads with powders I dont know anything about has expanded my knowledge on reloading and made me better at it

Blackwater
06-28-2015, 06:02 PM
I know I'm a dumb country boy, but danged if I can understand all the detractors of Unique. It's given me absolutely great accuracy so often in .38, .357, .44 mag and .45 ACP that I couldn't dislike it if I tried, and there's been no motivation to try. It's not very "dirty" if you're shooting full pressure loads in any of these calibers, or anything near full pressures. We tend to forget that it's PRESSURE that makes some powders burn cleaner, and most any powder will burn "dirty" if it's used below its intended pressure levels. Bullseye I have no experience with, but even it, according to friends who have experience, it too clens up rather significantly when the pressure is stepped up a bit. And who here does NOT clean their guns after each use? Just doesn't seem logical to me. When I load, I usually do it for ACCURACY, since it's no good to "practice" if you can't hit your target under all conditions and practical ranges, and just going "bang" doesn't teach me much or develop or maintain my skills either. Bullseye and Unique have been famous for their accuracy for decades now, and if you're not getting good accuracy with it, it's most likely because you aren't doing something right or aren't shooting the right pressure levels to get that accuracy. Light recoil is kind'a nice for just passing the time away, but how are you going to do when you shoot REAL loads and have to do it right NOW? Good practice ought to be more than just a pleasant afternoon popping primers, IMO, but I guess that's just me?

I've been trying to get an 8 lb. keg for well over a year and haven't found any, so if any of y'all have one and want to get rid of it, call me, PLEASE!

Petrol & Powder
06-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Blackwater - I agree that Unique works well in a large number of handgun cartridges. I tend to ignore the "dirty" powder comments because I clean my guns after use. Almost any smokeless powder will burn cleaner at higher pressures. As much as I love Unique, it does have one downfall when it comes to metering. Some powders meter better than others and Unique falls into the category of "doesn't always meter well". That doesn't mean it's bad but it's not always my first choice when using a progressive press.
Unique is an incredibly useful powder and almost irreplaceable as a "do - all" handgun powder.
I'm happy to see the steady return of availability and I await the drop in cost associated with that increased availability.

Blackwater
06-29-2015, 04:52 PM
P&P, point well taken, and FWIW, in my old Ohaus measure that I've used for so very long now, I find that when I fill the hopper, if I grab the hopper for support in my left hand, and tap it with my right, the powder settles pretty well and quickly, and then if I use 2-5 bumps of the handle on both up and down strokes, I get pretty good meters. This will vary with each type of powder measure, but I also do it with an old Pacific and an RCBS measure, and it usually helps to at least a significant degree. I always charge a whole case tray full (usually 50) and then inspect them with a good flashlight for uniform powder level, and pick out and rethrow charges in any that don't look uniform. If this 2nd case still doesn't look right, I'll usually put it in the scrap bin. A little variation is inevitable, but it's not generally enough to worry about in the least, and my uniformity has improved since doing the grab and slap thing plus the bumps as I work the handle. No biggie, and it takes what? Maybe a couple of seconds? Just works for me, but YMMV always, of course. Maybe it's the old Ohaus measure in at least part?

nicholst55
06-29-2015, 05:08 PM
I am FINALLY beginning to see some selection of powder locally. The big-dog LGS actually has 5-6 types of pistol powders available, and a fair selection of rifle powders. He has even been able to keep some Bullseye and Unique on the shelves for a week or more! He had begun using his powder shelves to store other items, and I had become concerned! Now, if the powder situation continues to improve, perhaps he'll expand his j-word bullet selection somewhat - that, and primers. He still doesn't have the primers that I prefer.

rsrocket1
06-29-2015, 07:11 PM
I love Unique. If all I could get were Unique for handgun and Red Dot for shotshell, I'd be happy. If all I could get for handgun were Bullseye, I'd still be happy. Covered with soot, but happy. I load Unique and Red Dot so that they burn clean for me. Just work up loads until the sooty cases, blow by and unburned flakes go away. Most of the time, Unique complainers don't get the pressures up high enough to where it burns well. Not the fault of the powder. If they want mild loads, go with a faster powder like Red Dot, e3 or Clay Dot.

runfiverun
06-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Blackwater swing by:heck anybody in the area.
i'll swap either 8lbs of unique or bulls-eye for 2400 or red-dot even up. [or RL-19]

I have 1 or 2 loads I like using unique, but it doesn't give the power 2400 or H-110 does. and i'll never burn up all of it I have.
but I got other powders that flat out does a better job in everything else.

I can't use bulls-eye in any shot-shell loads [I guess I could figure one out, I have one for tite-group] so red-dot it is for me.
that don't mean I don't have some in the closet.

dragon813gt
06-29-2015, 09:18 PM
I have some Unique but it just sits on the shelf. Meters pretty poorly which is why I don't use it. Not the worse metering powder but enough that I don't use it. Someone mentioned the "Holy Trinity" of BE, Unique and 2400. I prefer HP-38, Universal and H110. Everyone has their favorites but I do have said Alliant powders. At a minimum they're trade bait if needed.

Bullwolf
06-30-2015, 01:12 AM
I can't use bulls-eye in any shot-shell loads [I guess I could figure one out, I have one for tite-group] so red-dot it is for me.
that don't mean I don't have some in the closet.

I'll be the first to admit that I have never used Bullseye in any shot-shell applications. I'm a big fan of using Red Dot in 12 gauge as well.

However, older Hercules/Alliant manuals used to list 12 gauge load data using Bullseye powder. Bullseye is pretty close to Red Dot, so it shouldn't really come as much of surprise.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z222/Shoot2reload/Bullseyeloads.jpg

- Bullwolf

jethunter
06-30-2015, 01:36 AM

That's how I think about Unique too.

9w1911
06-30-2015, 03:35 AM
I love trying new powder, but I am starting to thin the heard and sell off random one pounders, it does hurt to do so.
I do like 11grns of Unique in my 44mag but I rarely seemed to have bought it. I have lots of others in the same category. I would like to try Universal and I also like the HP38/Universal/H110, I just need Universal.

Petrol & Powder
07-01-2015, 08:58 AM
You know those polls that are based on the "If you could only have three powders" question?
If you look at the results you will see that Unique is easily in the 90th percentile of the responses. I've always thought that Unique should be named "Ubiquitous" or "Standard Handgun Powder" ! It really is useful stuff to have on hand.
I have other powders that I use far more often but I keep Unique on the shelf.

Schrag4
07-01-2015, 12:59 PM
I hate how Unique meters. I don't care how dirty it is. With Unique, I get very accurate loads out of my Ruger SR9c with my cast 124gr RN in the Lee tumble variety, powder coated, and they are easily over 125 power factor, so unique is likely going to replace my other powders for ammo I produce to shoot IDPA.

RogerDat
07-01-2015, 02:10 PM
I think you can cover a lot of ground with Unique, throw in some 2400 and either 4064 or 4895 and you cover an awful lot of ground. I don't do auto loaders (yet) so I'm thinking from revolver and bolt action perspective and for my money these three cover it all. Best? Maybe not best but danged if they don't seem to work ok to cover 38 special to 44 mag in revolver and a few 30 caliber type bolt actions pretty decent. Oh and some shotgun if I get to feeling that itch. Took some real work to get a few pounds of stock built up but eventually got to the point where I don't have to worry until I finish another pound or so, then the hunt begins again (but with plenty to last me until the next score). 2400 was the one that I could not get for 2 solid years of looking.

Will be interesting, there is a gun show coming weekend, one I attend fairly regular in Mason at the fair grounds. Will be interesting to see what is in stock at the couple of people that tend to have powder, brass, primers and other reloading supplies. Be very interesting because they were finding supplies getting better about 6-8 weeks ago, be interesting to see what they have now. Primers if nothing else are always welcome addition to the stash.

Shuz
07-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Anybody tried BR-5. It's supposed to be similar to Unique in burning rate, altho it is a double based ball powder. Bartlett's has it for $100/6lb jug.

Char-Gar
07-01-2015, 05:20 PM
99.99% of my reloading is done with Bullseye, Unique and 2400. The other small bit is a from a stash of first batch Israel made AA5 or 1970s Dupont 4759. I do keep some 4895 around to load full snort jacketed loads in rounds from 30-30 to 45-70, but I don't do that very often, in fact not in years.

45-70 Chevroner
07-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Blackwater - I agree that Unique works well in a large number of handgun cartridges. I tend to ignore the "dirty" powder comments because I clean my guns after use. Almost any smokeless powder will burn cleaner at higher pressures. As much as I love Unique, it does have one downfall when it comes to metering. Some powders meter better than others and Unique falls into the category of "doesn't always meter well". That doesn't mean it's bad but it's not always my first choice when using a progressive press.
Unique is an incredibly useful powder and almost irreplaceable as a "do - all" handgun powder.
I'm happy to see the steady return of availability and I await the drop in cost associated with that increased availability.

Thanks for your comments on a great powder, I just wonder if those guys that won't use Unique because it's dirty are the same ones that won't dig in a garden or won't work under the hood of their pickup. Cleaning my guns after shooting some Unique loads takes a lot less time than changing the oil on my diesel pickup.
I almost forgot to add: Here in Arizona because of the dry weather I've never had a problem with Unique metering through either of my Dillons or any powder measure I own.

runfiverun
07-02-2015, 10:45 AM
thanks Bullwolf I thought I recalled seeing some data somewhere in the distant past.
I probably have that manual on one of the book shelves too.

I need to get back down to my dad's place and look for those paper hulls.
I got a few thousand federal paper hull and lage uni-wads, this might be a great way to use them up.

Char-Gar
07-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Thanks for your comments on a great powder, I just wonder if those guys that won't use Unique because it's dirty are the same ones that won't dig in a garden or won't work under the hood of their pickup. Cleaning my guns after shooting some Unique loads takes a lot less time than changing the oil on my diesel pickup.
I almost forgot to add: Here in Arizona because of the dry weather I've never had a problem with Unique metering through either of my Dillons or any powder measure I own.

Yes, I am utterly mystified and have said so numerous times on this board, why folks seem to like or dislike a power because it is "dirty". My general response is, so what? You do wash your hands and clean your guns on a regular basis do you not?

When I started reloading (1958) the only ball powders were Bl-C and H380 and we only used them because they were cheaper than Dupont or Hercules powders. We never felt them to be superior. For 95% of our shooting we muddled along with stick and flake powders, giving little or no extra value to the metering qualities of ball vs. stick/flake powders.

Today, folks seem to think that ball powders are the high water mark because they flow through a measure like water. They diminish the value and utility of stick and flake powders, which is something I do not do. I still run lots of Unique through my measures as I have for 55 years, considering it to meter just fine.

tygar
07-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Well all you guys that don't like Unique, Bullseye, RedDot, etc, I'm a buyer! Well at least Unique. I have many #s of most of the other. Could use a few #s of 2400 & 4227.

Unique has been very scarce around here.