PDA

View Full Version : Ha e you been to SDI? online gunsmith certificate?

pretzelxx
06-27-2015, 12:40 AM
Well, I'm not going for the gunsmith certificate but the associates of science in firearm technology. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of them here or has anyone enrolled/graduated? I know a few fellow military members who are enrolled but I don't chat with them all too much.

BTW it's Sonoran desert Institute {sdi.Edu}

Der Gebirgsjager
06-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Hi pretzelxx--First, thanks for your military service. Your post was up for an entire day without an answer, so I'm thinking that the answer to your question must be "No." I'd like to kick the subject around with you a bit though, and can maybe offer some general insight. I was an active gunsmith for over 30 years, and still tinker with my own stuff. I attended, and graduated from The Colorado School of Trades (kinda sounds like a reform school, doesn't it?) and that school requires you to attend. That was some 33 years ago, and things change, but back then it was just like a job, 0800 hr. to 1630 hr., half-hour lunch, 5 days a week. Guys come from all over the country, and actually from all over the world, and rent various domiciles in the area for the time it takes to complete the course. Some come with money in their pockets, but others take local jobs to pay their tuition. The thing about this school, and several others somewhat like it, is that it is "hands on". They have a store on the front of the building that takes in work from the public at discount rates for students to restore/repair under the watchful eyes of the instructors, and many of the students bring projects with them. There is a great difference between actually working on guns and seeing it done on a video. There is also a great difference between having an on-site instructor to consult concerning an unexpected problem and reading about it. I could go on to great lengths here, but the point I'm trying to make is that you'd do better to attend a school such as I've described than to take an on-line course. Sure, there are other factors that figure into your decision, such as if you wish to extremely specialize, like only building AR-15 type rifles. In that case, you can probably learn most of what you need to know from videos and manuals; but if you desire to learn about metal refinishing (bluing, etc.), stock making, welding and brazing, machine work, etc., you'll need to get some hands-on experience. I guess that covers it--if you want to discuss it further feel free to continue the thread or PM me. Best wishes.

pretzelxx
06-27-2015, 07:15 PM
The thing is, they send the tools, material and chemicals for all the above mentioned. And they have quite a few counselors to answer questions that have been in the gunsmith business for a pretty decent time. I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with it.

Also, I argued with my wife for about 3 hours on quitting the army and moving to Colorado for the actual gunsmith school. I just reenlisted tho.

knifemaker
06-27-2015, 07:52 PM
There is also a gunsmith school, Jr. College, at Susanville, CA. that is rated pretty good. Everything from the basics to the advance work, even firearm engraving. I worked with a gunsmith as an apprentice for two years, and hands on is the best way to learn. I would not waste my time or money on a "on line gunsmith school" as who would hire you compared to a student that completed his education at a trade school with hands on experience.

MaryB
06-27-2015, 11:20 PM
A mixed online/some on campus is okay for something like this. Even all online if you have good internet and camera to video chat with teachers. Times have changed and an online degree is no longer looked down on plus 90% of a hands on job ends up on the job training!