PDA

View Full Version : Red Angel A/C leak stop

bikerbeans
06-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Curious to hear from those that have tried Red Angel to try and stop an automotive 134 leak. Did it work or did you waste $33?

BB

farmerjim
06-26-2015, 07:18 AM
I have never had any of the A/C leak stop products actually stop a leak. They have slowed it down, but they all eventually required repair. Find the leak, Most are easy to repair.

CastingFool
06-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Curious to hear from those that have tried Red Angel to try and stop an automotive 134 leak. Did it work or did you waste $33?

BB

IMO, finding the leak is the tough part. lol

s mac
06-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Finding a leak can be a challenge at times, most systems have a dye that can be seen with a blacklight that many times helps. I will say that using a stopleak and then recovering with a machine that most shops use is detrimental to the recovery machine.

mrvmax
06-26-2015, 01:52 PM
The A/C techs state to never use the leak stop, it causes more problems and will cost more when they have to fix the real problem.

Handloader109
06-26-2015, 04:42 PM
I had older f250 a couple of years ago that had a slow leak, I would fill the system and it would work well for 4 months or so, enough to get thru the summer, much cheaper than a repair, but if you are keeping long term, get fixed

runfiverun
06-26-2015, 05:19 PM
your gonna have to have it fixed anyway.....

fishhawk
06-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Been trying to find a leak in the wife's truck for 5 years now and still can't find it even with the dye still can't find it ready to try the AC pro stuff soon.

s mac
06-26-2015, 05:29 PM
The evaporator can leak, you can't see it often times. Many times an expensive fix.

dragon813gt
06-26-2015, 05:30 PM
While not automotive related I'm an HVAC Technician by trade. We absolutely don't use the leak stop products. One of the main reasons is it voids all warranties. We've tried it in a couple of older systems at the owner's request over the years. It did not work at all. Find the leak and fix it.

funnyjim014
06-26-2015, 05:35 PM
As an auto tech I would not recommend using any stop leak products. They may or maynot clog the leak but will blow the compressor or clog the orface tube/TXV valve. What kind of truck? If its a slow leak it may be hard to spot. The dye gloes under UV light and maynot glow with a black light. Look for any wet spots especially in the condenser area. A small rock dent can cause a leak. Also look at any weld joints on condenser. If it has rear ac take a good look at the front to rear lines. Could be corroded under a band clamp or line hose.

David2011
06-26-2015, 06:57 PM
A fully equipped automotive AC service man will have a Freon sniffer that can detect miniscule amounts of Freon in the air. They have an audible signal wen they detect Freon. That's the best way to find a leak.

David

dragon813gt
06-26-2015, 07:54 PM
A fully equipped automotive AC service man will have a Freon sniffer that can detect miniscule amounts of Freon in the air. They have an audible signal wen they detect Freon. That's the best way to find a leak.

David

To bad Freon isn't used anymore. Like Kleenex, Freon is a brand name. In this case it's for R12. If you can't tell this is one of my pet peeves :beer:

TXGunNut
06-26-2015, 08:02 PM
The A/C techs state to never use the leak stop, it causes more problems and will cost more when they have to fix the real problem.

That's right, if you use a stop leak product and it doesn't work you'll need to replace the entire system because the stop leak will severely damage the recovery system that the shops are require to use to evacuate and recharge your system. They generally don't work, anyway.

bikerbeans
06-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Red Angel isn't a water reactive stop leak. The water reactive products are the ones the will plug up a recovery system.

I have already used dye and a light and found the leak. It is an old car and my mechanic wants to try this product. He owns the recovery system so if he has enough faith let red angel into his equipment I am willing to pony up the $33 for 2 oz.

BB

458mag
06-28-2015, 10:32 AM
try looking at the input valve on your a/c. I once had a leak that drove me nuts. Finaly found that the screw in valve, shrader valve was loose and not making a good seal.
Been trying to find a leak in the wife's truck for 5 years now and still can't find it even with the dye still can't find it ready to try the AC pro stuff soon.