PDA

View Full Version : Concealing a speedloader for defense

ksfowler166
06-26-2015, 02:29 AM
I have been looking into carrying a revolver for self defense. As such I have turned up quite a bit of info all across the internet on speedstrip vs speedloader. While most of the advantages and disadvantages of both options I can see but one has me cocking my head saying what? It seems to be continually brought up that speedstrips are easier to conceal. I certainly can not disagree with that deduction but my question is why does it matter?

Yes there will be a bulge if you carry a speedloader or two on your belt but really is the average person who doesn't know a Glock from a Colt 1911 going to think, "Hey that bulge there is some sort of carrier for ammunition.". They will more like assume pepper spray or a flashlight before speedloader. Even if the pouch was worn openly people still would most likely not give it a second look or even know what it is since the rounds are not visible on many models.

So can some one better informed about revolver conceal carry enlighten me as to why it matters to conceal the method of carrying spare ammunition?

robg
06-26-2015, 04:50 AM
when I shot comps with my 686s&w I liked the hks speedloaders,could reload in 1.5sec.those were the days sigh

Handloader109
06-26-2015, 05:20 AM
Same as The box on your hip that is being sold now. I'd wear the speed loader holder openly, no one would ever guess what was in it

GoodOlBoy
06-26-2015, 05:24 AM
I carried a hks speedloader in my pocket with my keys when I was carrying my snubbie. But I only carried one extra. The point was to get me to the car (where a long gun awaited), OR to get me out of trouble. Not to pack enough ammo to re-enact the charge of San Juan Hill.

GoodOlBoy

BrassMagnet
06-26-2015, 08:15 AM
I carried a hks speedloader in my pocket with my keys when I was carrying my snubbie. But I only carried one extra. The point was to get me to the car (where a long gun awaited), OR to get me out of trouble. Not to pack enough ammo to re-enact the charge of San Juan Hill.

GoodOlBoy

Terrorists and gang bangers run in packs. I prefer a spare 15 round magazine or three.

A 13 mag in the pistol and a spare 15 matches what I used to have when I carried a 1911 and three spare magazines.

EMC45
06-26-2015, 09:14 AM
I like speed strips. Bianchi or Tuff Products. Tuff Products make way more options than Bianchi so they get the nod in my book. I have some of both. I also have HKS speedloaders as well. A bit bulky for concealed duty, but would be good for woodsbumming and range time.

Blammer
06-26-2015, 01:11 PM
are you planning on getting into a gunfight? or defending your self?

part of defending yourself is being able to elude and evade and make use of cover and concealment upon retreat.

HeavyMetal
06-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Not a fan of Revolvers for carry, I can get more out of a flatter auto pistol than I can a S&W Model 36.

However if your gonna be old school some one used to make a speed loader carrier that had half your rounds inside your belt and half outside the belt which greatly reduced bulk.

It still won't help you hide a wheel gun but if you do some searching you may find a few still on the market, we also have some leather workers here on site you may want to check with Springfield and see what he can do for you.

gray wolf
06-26-2015, 02:01 PM
are you planning on getting into a gunfight? or defending your self?

part of defending yourself is being able to elude and evade and make use of cover and concealment upon retreat.

Sounds good on paper---

Plan to defend yourself

Train for a gunfight

I don't think for one second that I can control everything that happens.

country gent
06-26-2015, 02:15 PM
I use the speed loaders actually perfer the safarilands for my J frames. They are very compact and easy to use. A little harder to charge or load but in use you insert into the cylinder push and let drop, no knobs to turn. Speed strips can be very useable also with practice you can load 2 at a time to full cylinder pretty quickly. The biggest thing is having rounds oriented and contained so you arnt fumbling with loose rounds every which way. With tight clothes the speed strips will leave less bulges and such.I carry three safariland speed loaders in a pants pocket ( jeans) everyday with a J frame inside the pants. Find what works for you and then practice with it to become proficent, you want to get to the point it is second nature you dont have to think about whats going on or what your doing. When you think your ready then start practicing in the dark.

bob208
06-26-2015, 02:41 PM
I see the usual chest thumping showed up and not had anything to add.
when I carry my security-six I carry two speed loaders in a nylon belt pouch. got it from midway. now in the old days when wheel guns were common some would have known. but now when no one knows about wheel guns you can get away with carrying them on your belt. if some one asks just say it is your test kit for your sugar. in the winter I just put the pouch in my coat pocket.

Multigunner
06-26-2015, 02:56 PM
I modied a few old mauser stripper clips to use as strip loaders for revolver ammunition.
Grinding a bit off the side tabs of the spring and squeezing the sides of the clip till they held rimmed .38 and .32 S&W Long ammo. They hold five .38 Special or six .32 long cartridges and half a dozen fit in a shirt pocket, though I seldom carry more than three.

shooter93
06-26-2015, 07:04 PM
I often just carry loose ammo but then I often have just a SAA on me. If I'm carrying a 1911 then I stick a couple mags in a pocket. If a gang of 15 or 20 confront me I'm in trouble no matter what I'm carrying short of a grenade. If it's a few after my first shot I'll be moving and not trying to speed load while standing in the open. With practice it's surprising how fast a gun can be reloaded even with loose ammo. One of the shooting schools runs a course using "cowboy action " type guns.....look for the films and you'll be impressed.

Grits
06-26-2015, 07:08 PM
What about a New York reload?

knfmn
06-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Method of carrying the spare ammo doesn't really matter that much. If the pouches on the belt completely cover the speedloader, nobody who isn't a gun person is going to realize what it is. If you have your shirt untucked over it, nobody is going to notice, period. People are amazingly oblivious to the world around them.

I know you didn't ask, but what about having your revolver cut for moon clips? They can be every bit as fast as reloading a pistol with a magazine with a little practice.

TXGunNut
06-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Part of carrying concealed is about clothing choices. My right hand is somewhat useless at the moment so these days I'm falling back on my le training/PPC experience and slipping a S&W M37 revolver into the left front pocket of my baggy camp shorts. An HKS speedloader is in my right front pocket. I can reload using a speedloader with a gimpy hand but can't cycle the slide of a little semi-auto so I'm carrying a revolver. No biggie, I carried a snubbie for several years, never felt like I was undergunned. There are speedloader carriers that straddle the top of your belt if that works better for your body type and clothing.

garym1a2
06-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Thats my first choice if carring a 6 shooter. Second choice is getting one setup for moon clips.
Myself, carry a Glock19 with 15 round mag. No need to carry a reload.

What about a New York reload?

ksfowler166
06-26-2015, 10:17 PM
A bit bulky for concealed duty, but would be good for woodsbumming and range time.
Would you please explain your line of thinking with needing to conceal a speedloader pouch? I just don't see the reason why it would be important. I am in no way knocking speedstrips, I see both as having pros and cons like anything else with neither being better or worse.

bhn22
06-27-2015, 02:48 PM
I have seen speedloader belt pouches that straddle the belt, half the speedloader is on one side of your belt, and half is on the other. The trouble is, I can't remember who was making them!

Safariland Split-Six!!! That's it!

Blacksmith
06-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Many new to guns people would not recognize a speed loader pouch either, they just aren't Tacticool. Get a pouch and wear it and see how many people ask "What is that?" just be ready with a quick answer.

Geraldo
06-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Would you please explain your line of thinking with needing to conceal a speedloader pouch? I just don't see the reason why it would be important. I am in no way knocking speedstrips, I see both as having pros and cons like anything else with neither being better or worse.

Open carry, careless printing, or exposed ammo can all be "shoot me first" indicators. I'm not saying it guarantees your death, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take. If I carried a revolver I'd use the straddle the belt style pouch and keep it concealed. If I couldn't do that I'd carry a couple of speed strips. Supposedly loading the strips with 2 rounds, open space, 3 rounds, makes them easier to manipulate but I have no personal experience with that.

bhn22
06-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Don't forget "shoot me first" vests, and 5.11 clothing with military style boots.

Certaindeaf
06-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Method of carrying the spare ammo doesn't really matter that much. If the pouches on the belt completely cover the speedloader, nobody who isn't a gun person is going to realize what it is. If you have your shirt untucked over it, nobody is going to notice, period. People are amazingly oblivious to the world around them.

I know you didn't ask, but what about having your revolver cut for moon clips? They can be every bit as fast as reloading a pistol with a magazine with a little practice.

Moon clips are dainty things that will ultimately bind up your revolver.

shoot-n-lead
06-28-2015, 12:14 PM
I carry a jframe a lot...Safariland loader, in the pocket...the only way for me.

Cowboy_Dan
06-28-2015, 09:10 PM
I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog and a HKS speedloader in my left pocket.

EMC45
06-29-2015, 07:50 AM
My carriers for my HKS speedloaders are the leather type that go on the "Sam Brown" belt. In my estimation they would stick out like a sore thumb if worn casually. That would be my rationale for carrying a speed strip in the pocket Vs. the round cylindrical speedloader. Or for that matter a "New York Reload" would be good with a speed strip. Right hand/left hand rigs in the small of back would suffice.

Dan Cash
06-29-2015, 08:14 AM
ElPaso Saddlery makes a pouch that they call a "pick Six" or perhaps "Pick Two" that is excellent for revolver carry. It presents the cartridges in pairs and when closed, on the belt, does not look gun related. It is flat and comfortable. I made a couple for field rigs as well since it keeps the ammo clean.

scarry scarney
06-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Moon clips are dainty things that will ultimately bind up your revolver.

I guess I'm lucky, carried a j-frame with spare moon clips for many years, and never had an issue with the moon clips. Tenring.com did my "cylinder job" and I bought the moon clips from them.