PDA

View Full Version : Moving Companies

BLTsandwedge
06-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Gents,

I've happened to move rather frequently...as in 8 times in the last 25 years. We hired moving companies to help each time. Every move, we've 'lost' something. This past time really hurt- we moved from CA to PA with a bunch of very cool Civil War stuff. We didn't discover the loss until 6 months later when we finally unpacked all the stuff that we had prioritized last. Yep, I know, the antiques should have been at the head of the priority list, but my mindset was that 'who in CA (that transported the stuff) would be interested in CW stuff?' Also, we used a scan technology to locate every item and box...I THOUGHT we came up with a good inventory in PA. Now we're moving again- to AZ. Because of this new move, we're certain that the box of CW stuff wasn't simply misplaced in our house.

I've never worked in the moving industry- except as a logistics officer- staff puke- in the Army (what they called a TPCO- or commonly known as a Toilet Paper Control Officer...I was PROUD!).

What gives? Does anyone understand the inside of the personal-lines moving industry? Is this theft or accidental loss?

Many thanks!

Duckiller
06-25-2015, 08:03 PM
I would guess it is theft. Sort of like FFL having to ship handguns by air. If they are shipped by truck they seem to disappear. A bunch of fine hard working Americans are plain and simple CROOKS.

Plate plinker
06-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Agree there are opportunist everywhere. Turn your back and they will take your lunch.

xs11jack
06-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Yes, thieves, we moved from Texas to Ca.. We had packed a sturdy box with some of my wife's cheaper jewelery and my fathers gold RR watch. When we unpacked that box was gone. When we moved from Ca. to Mo. I had a 2 ft. long piece of RR iron rail that got lost on the way.
Ole Jack

BrassMagnet
06-25-2015, 08:41 PM
A friend moved from Seattle to San Diego. The first night in San Diego, her garage was burglarized and the only thing stolen was a box of handguns. Lots of very nice and some rather rare handguns. They left two boxes of rifles. Inside job? Obviously!

jmort
06-25-2015, 08:50 PM
I am renting a 26' U-Haul and whatever fits goes on my upcoming move from California to Missouri. If it don't fit, it gets left in the dust. I would not trust a moving company, ever. You should see what tow-truck drivers do, same freaking thing, but only more brazen.

frkelly74
06-25-2015, 08:59 PM
PODS worked pretty well for us. On the other hand we really didn't put much worth stealing in there but kept valuables with us and ended up making three u-haul trips to Florida.

Tackleberry41
06-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Moving companies are notorious for this sort of thing. Guess you got off light as they only stole a box of stuff, their usual tactic is to hold all your stuff ransom for a higher fee that they forgot to disclose at the start.

I have never used a moving company, I just rent a uhaul.

blackthorn
06-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Rent a steel container. Pack it yourself. Put the best stuff in first, (against the end with no door). Have it picked up and delivered straight to your new location. Unload at your leisure. Have the empty container picked up and returned to the owner.

Handloader109
06-26-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm moving hopefully across town next weekend. Will contract with local movers for the heavy stuff, and a lot of boxes of books and worthless junk. They will move my 5larger Woodworking machines. But my valuables will be moved myself. Guns and powder are mine to move. When I moved here from MS, it was numerous pickup loads over a year and then a uhaul for the largest remainder. Only one full move by paid mover and I won't do it again....

smokeywolf
06-26-2015, 05:18 PM
I am renting a 26' U-Haul and whatever fits goes on my upcoming move from California to Missouri. If it don't fit, it gets left in the dust. I would not trust a moving company, ever. You should see what tow-truck drivers do, same freaking thing, but only more brazen.

If you beat me to the move, you drop off all those rifles and pistols that don't fit, at my house. I'll find some way to fit them in when we move to Northern AR.

For us, anything we care about goes on the U-Haul or in a trailer behind the U-Haul or my truck. I already know I'm going to me making 2 or 3 trips.

We've started organizing and throwing stuff away in anticipation of the move.

Only things I'm not going to try to move myself is my lathe and mill.

Might do the PODS thing for furniture.

winelover
06-27-2015, 07:32 AM
I used North American Van Lines for my move from Michigan to Arkansas. Nothing missing and only one minor scratch on a table top. With any moving company, the driver will make or break a move. We lucked out and had one that took pride in his work. He had his own crew. Our driver helped his men load. He was from Indianapolis and had abdominal surgery scheduled for the next day. Told us ahead of time that there would be a couple day delay, as a result. Wasn't a big deals since we were already set up with the essentials, we were already living in the basement, during the end of the build. Arrived, when they said the would but since the driver couldn't help his crew unload, he hired a man from the local (Wheaton) moving company. This guy told me he never seen a truck packed with such care. Everything was covered and packed so nothing shifted. Explains why it took them 16 hours to load our stuff.

I have two full size vans that we packed with our valuables, including guns, powder and lead. I drove one, and the wife, the other. We didn't stop on the way, except for gas and food. Thirteen hours, pushing the speed limits, to avoid staying in a motel and possibly victimized. I thought about the U-Haul thing but that would slow us down and add the motel overnight exposure.

Moving companies tell you up front what they will or won't take. Guns and jewelry, they recommend, you take with you. They wont take flammables, so gun powder, primers and propane tanks are out. You pay by the pound, so a large lead stash will increase the final bill.

I looked into the Pods......believe it or not.....not available in Detriot, proper. Only in the suburbs.

Winelover

JSnover
06-27-2015, 07:45 AM
If you're able to load and drive the truck, do it yourself. I can't bear the thought of letting someone else have the bulk of my possessions for a few days.

shaune509
06-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Many times that Uhaul parked at a motal of even at your new house will not be there in the morning, double lock all doors and club the wheel, check into insurance for the trip.
Shaune509

Tackleberry41
06-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Many times that Uhaul parked at a motal of even at your new house will not be there in the morning, double lock all doors and club the wheel, check into insurance for the trip.
Shaune509

Guess it depends. I was moving from Fla to KY 10 yrs ago, my mom was worried about the truck as we went into eat. Um yea theres a pitbull sleeping on the passenger seat. Hes not mean, but doubt somebody climbing into the truck in a hurry would bother to find that out. Tho he did get a bit possessive of vehicles.