PDA

View Full Version : A new Batch

Sprue
03-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Here is a pic of my first casted bullet (from a new/old mold) with my first fresh batch of Felix lube, sized in a recently obtained RCBS LAM sizer.

I didn't get a chance to fire any of these today but hope to make an appearance out at the range sometime this week to test them out.

For the lube, I followed the recipe very closely, although I added a little crayon for color. Oh, the next day I added a teaspoon of Johnson's Paste Wax. Man the Johnsons wax was a welcome ingredient! It made the smell of the lube more pleasant to the nose. There were times during the brew that I actually gagged a few times.

The mold is a RCBS 38-150-SWC. The mold really casts a good looking bullet, much better looking than in the picture. They are very defined ,fully filled out and shiney new looking.

Just a note:

For those who may be looking for Lanolin, castor and mineral oil, I found it all very reasonably priced at the Drug Emporium

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/FelixLubeReloads.jpg

madcaster
03-24-2008, 12:54 AM
It does look like a good job casting and inspecting.Makes a fella happy to be shooting his own work,knowing it is the BEST it can be!

Buckshot
03-24-2008, 12:58 AM
.................Looks like a nice clean job. From the looks of the cases it appears you have a decent amount of grip on the boolit. I like the lube color. Does it glow in the dark? :-)

...............Buckshot

jleneave
03-24-2008, 02:07 AM
They look good!! I just casted my first batch on Friday night/Saturday morning and I tried it again tonight. I have to say that your bullets look better than mine. I ended up adding a little 50/50 solder tonight and they looked much better. I may be being way to critical, I don't know. Anyway, good job.

Jody

VTDW
03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Smell...what smell? I like that lime green lube for following the boolit at night.:drinks:

Seriously though, good report and congratulations on the accomplishment. I burned my first batch of Felix Lube. It was really dark but worked very well. My newer batches just got better and better.

Dave