PDA

View Full Version : First Smelt

compass will
03-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Had some extra time today, So I fired up the equipment I been putting together. Decided to cook some stick-on wheel weights, then throw in some pipe I had.

Everything went as planned. wheel weights were not cleaned (tons of tape) so the pot started smoking. I lite the pot and smoke cleaned up, but temp climbed real quick. I was afraid that I would melt any zinc that might be in there.

Quickly I scooped out the zinc, I was amazed at how many weights I pulled out! I need to do a better job sorting. Added the pipe, then I fluxed with a long square wood stick until the end started to be black. Lots of Dross came out, skimmed it off but it still kept coming up, so I added some 3 or 4 oz of used motor oil. (used diesel motor oil). It started smoking, then lit, but I stirred it in, man a ton of crap came to the top (was this crap from the used Diesel motor oil?) Tried to get all of it off with ladle (note to self: get large spoon, ladle don't work for skimming).

I think "this is easy". I poured into these two silver muffin pans from wally world. Great, 24 down but I still got more lead in pot! waited until the first tray was hard, I can't get the ingots out! I destroyed both sets of pans by pealing the tins off the lead. The lead had soldered itself to the pans. Managed to save a couple long enough to fill them again and empty the pot.

Need to find some cast pans. Still got 3 buckets of WW left to go.
I still got time since I don't have a pot or mold, and Midway is out of stock on everything I need.

targetshootr
03-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Hobby shops usually carry aluminum muffin and loaf pans. The Walmart kind are probably coated with something that causes sticking and watch for any kind of lip in the top of the pans. l learned that one the hard way.

:castmine:

mtgrs737
03-23-2008, 10:52 PM
I think that the China mart pans may be Tin coated to prevent rust. The tin would act as a flux in soldering the lead to the steel. Make a round of the second hand stores and garage sales for cast iron cooking pans, moulds etc. Good luck!

Mtgrs737

jleneave
03-24-2008, 02:27 AM
...... and Midway is out of stock on everything I need.

The funny thing is that part of their company "moto" goes something like this...We keep a lot of stock, because if we don't have it, we can't get it to you. Ole Larry Potterfield says this about 100 times every Wednesday on the Outdoor Channel. Don't get me wrong, I do a LOT of business with Midway, just wish they would try a little harder to stand by what they advertise. Can you tell that I currently have quite a bit of stuff on "back order".

Jody

compass will
03-24-2008, 07:25 AM
The funny thing is that part of their company "moto" goes something like this...We keep a lot of stock, because if we don't have it, we can't get it to you. Ole Larry Potterfield says this about 100 times every Wednesday on the Outdoor Channel. Don't get me wrong, I do a LOT of business with Midway, just wish they would try a little harder to stand by what they advertise. Can you tell that I currently have quite a bit of stuff on "back order".

Jody

I watch all that stuff on Wed nights also. I think the problem is everybody decided to start casting at the same time. Anything related to casting seems is out of stock, well accept for the top end $tuff.

VTDW
03-24-2008, 09:45 AM
"I think "this is easy". "

:-DHang in there bro. We all hit and miss at times. And I do mean ALL.:-D

Dave

e15cap
03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I like cast iron corn muffin pans from yard sales or second hand stores - look like little ears of corn. Cheap and get the job done. Roger