PDA

View Full Version : Request

IcerUSA
03-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Does anyone have a Star sizeing die that I could barrow to get the dimentions off . Or a PM with the dims , dia. , length , ect. .

Thanks

Keith

garandsrus
03-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Icer,

I have one you can borrow...

John

Tom Myers
03-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Does anyone have a Star sizeing die that I could barrow to get the dimentions off . Or a PM with the dims , dia. , length , ect. .

Thanks

Keith

Keith, These are the dimensions I have on file for one I was going to have made up,

Hope this Helps.

Tom Myers

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/StarSizerDimensions.gif

Buckshot
03-24-2008, 12:50 AM
...............Not shown in Tom's dimensions is the enlarged ID on the exit side, as below:

http://www.fototime.com/0BC9ECC796F51F9/standard.jpg

Naturally you don't HAVE to have it I suppose.

...............Buckshot

IcerUSA
03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks alot guys for the replys .

John , I'm PMing you my addy , Thanks a bunch .

Keith

Tom Myers
03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
...............Not shown in Tom's dimensions is the enlarged ID on the exit side, as below:

http://www.fototime.com/0BC9ECC796F51F9/standard.jpg

Naturally you don't HAVE to have it I suppose.

...............Buckshot

Thanks Buckshot.
I remember now that I did have a drawing showing the enlarged lower portion because you really do need it there. or the bullets don't get pushed out by the next one coming through. The one that I had made is just about useless without the relief on the bottom of the sizer Hole.
Also, the tapered entry needs to be just as long and gentle as you can make it so that the bullet will line up well.

Tom

454PB
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't include either the enlarged exit diameter or the groove behind the top flange on my home made Star dies. The lack of the enlarged exit just means it takes one extra boolit fed into the top to push out the bottom one.

mtgrs737
03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
454PB,

Pushing two boolits out instead of just one might be enough force to cause the pusher boolit's nose to deform a bit on a soft lead boolit. Also don't forget to add the radiuses to the die edges or it could shave off aluminum in the bore of the sizer bore it presses into and cause the lube to leak past. Sorry to nit-pick you, but it could cause you problems down the road.

Mtgrs737

IcerUSA
03-25-2008, 12:18 AM
With the drawing and the die that John is sending I think I'll get close on the dim's :)

Keith

Buckshot
03-25-2008, 01:13 AM
.............They're a PITA to make if you'll be making any number of them. Too much tool swapping foolishness, plus you're turning off a lot of material because of that larger OD flange.

.....................Buckshot

IcerUSA
03-25-2008, 02:35 AM
So far I can get stock from work out of the scrap bins for free so thats not a problem , just the time it will take me to turn it and polish the bore . Was useing some 1" stock to make some dies up for the Lyman , take about time to make , my little lathe only like to take about .010 on the cross slide before it will stall . :)

Keith

IcerUSA
03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks John , got the sizing die and top punch today . And Tom also for the drawing .
The sizing die dosn't look too bad to copy but that top punch sure is going to be a bugger. 1/2 X 27 thread , what an odd ball thread . I did find a company in WI that has the thread dies so I ordered me one .
Looking at the die it looks like I'll be using the tool post grinder to get that kind of finish on the OD of it .

Keith

Tom Myers
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Just in case anyone is interested, I found the finished drawing of the star sizer die.
Tom Myers

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u35/dutchtom/starsizer.jpg

garandsrus
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Tom,

Great drawing!

Keith - I made about 8 top punches for different calibers in a couple hours and I am still a rookie at using a lathe. They are very easy to make. There are only a couple dimensions that matter, the threaded area (.495 if I remember correctly) and the punch diameter. None of the other grooves in the top punch matter. Also, assuming you are sizing nose first, you only need to square up the bottom.

The way I made the punches was to chuck a sufficient length of 1/2" stock in the lathe and then turn the punch shaft diameter and the .495 threaded portion. Then, I ran a threading die right over the turned shaft (since it doesn't touch anyway) and turned about 1/2" of threads. Back off the thread die and cut the punch off, bevel the end and you are done...

A tool post grinder would be great, but of course I don't have one. I used brass barrel laps and diamond paste as suggested by Buckshot to get the final diameter. Worked great...

John

454PB
03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Then, I ran a threading die right over the turned shaft (since it doesn't touch anyway) and turned about 1/2" of threads. Back off the thread die and cut the punch off, bevel the end and you are done...

Where did you find a 1/2"X27 tpi die?

IcerUSA
04-01-2008, 02:44 AM
454PB , I ordered one off the net today , the place was in WI , I would have to do a search again to find it tho , 22 bucks plus shipping , and only because my lathe won't cut 27 TPI . OK here is the link , look under special thread dies : http://www.icscuttingtools.com/Dies.htm

Thanks Tom for that print of the finished sizing die .

John , I got my first sizer die and top punch done except for the threads , here they are :
Next one will be better as my drill wandered a little and gouged the bore of the sizer a little but the boolit I drove thru with my little brass hammer and a wood dowel looked OK for the first try . Even seated a GC on the boolit . :)

Keith

garandsrus
04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Keith,

Looks great! The small shoulder under the lip doesn't do anything that I have ever figured out and I didn't include it in my die.

Did you put a taper in the opening? We used the cross slide set at a slight taper, but I wasn't completely happy with it. I would like to get a tapered reamer, probably 1/4 to 1/2 over 6 inches or so. Since it's tapered, it should handle multiple die sizes.

Did you ream/lap the hole to it's final diameter or use the grinder?

John

garandsrus
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
454PB,

I found the die locally at a tool supply house.

We had a pretty long die holder in the tailstock, probably about 5 inches of room for the part past the die. The punches threaded very easily with the die pulling the loose tailstock through the work.

John

IcerUSA
04-01-2008, 10:09 AM
John ,

After I drilled the die out I went with a small boring bar to get close to the ID then some 800 grit wet and dry sandpaper . I need to get some reamers and a tapered reamer yet as that would be faster for the bore .
Didn't use my tool post grinder as when I made the bracket to hold the grinder I was at work and it is not center to the lathe . Works good for a bore of about 1 inch or so and OD's as big as the cross slide and bracket will allow , going to have to make a new one or modify this one to adjust up and down .

Keith

IcerUSA
04-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Came up with a tapered reamer but it is a 3 flute straight edge and it chattered to beat the band , had to recut the taper with the boring bar . Looking at a spiral flute reamer for the next try or just stick with the compound rest for the tapers . :)

Keith