PDA

View Full Version : Need Trailboss Data for Collarbutton Boolit

Edward429451
03-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I finally got around to casting some of the Collarbutton boolits from the groupbuy mould and figure that Trailboss is an obvious good choice to try with them.

Anyone seting their collarbuttons over Trailboss yet? What's a start load.

I like the CB boolits. 461-4615 and 159 gr with WW's.

Now, to go apply some FWFL while I wait for some data.

fallout4x4
03-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I am trying out trailboss in my 45 acp. Don't have a chrony so cant tell you how fast it goes, but it burns clean compared to some other powders Ive seen.

Leftoverdj
03-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Got no CB mould. Six grains of 231 is about right for a .490 RB sized down to .460. The RB is a little heavier and I doubt you can get into any trouble with six grains of any fast pistol powder and the CB bullet.

Ain't much, but it's a place to start.+

Edward429451
03-26-2008, 01:08 AM
TrailBoss works good for me in several pistol calibers but this is my first time loading it in 45/70. I found data for a 405 gr boolit & TB @ 12 -14 gr so starting there is probaly good for the 159 gr collarbutton.

What are you guys loading your collarbutton boolits with?

Edward429451
03-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Six grains?! Spose your right. I do have a chrony so I'll just do that and see for sure. I was hopin someone had done it already...

Thx.

This CB design is old, so is Unique. May as well try 6 gr of that too, prolly need a cardboard disc over the powder. DO you use and wadding when you load the RB's with 231?

Leftoverdj
03-26-2008, 11:18 AM
No wads, especially not over the powder. If you must use a wad, it should be in contact with the bullet base. If you use Unique, you'll need a little more of it as it's slower. 8-9 grains would be my guess. Large rifle primers seem to do a pretty good job of lighting up fast pistol powders in the .45-70 case regardless of position. Slower powders might be harder to ignite.

I was just playing, looking for a squirrel load for the .45-70. I found that trying to drive my elongated RBs very fast ruined accuracy. Light loads gave ragged hole groups at 25 yards. There's not much bearing surface on either my balls or the CB. The TB load you mentioned should be safe enough for the rifle, but it's going to drive the CB far faster than the 1000 fps or so likely to give good accuracy. I'd halve it, and work up by half grains.

94Doug
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure Trail Boss would be the first choice for the CB. As posts have noted before, TB is designed to be bulky and fill a large case.... so with the instructions that I have been given, something like 50-70% of the capacity of the case with the bullet seated. Seems like that would be more than what the collar button was designed for, but I don't know that for sure. Ideal 39 still had loads for the CB with Unique, 5.0 grains for 900fps.

Doug

45 2.1
03-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure Trail Boss would be the first choice for the CB. As posts have noted before, TB is designed to be bulky and fill a large case.... so with the instructions that I have been given, something like 50-70% of the capacity of the case with the bullet seated. Seems like that would be more than what the collar button was designed for, but I don't know that for sure. Ideal 39 still had loads for the CB with Unique, 5.0 grains for 900fps.

Doug

When Lyman did a limited re-issue of the collar button mold, they included data with it. Most all of the loads were going over 2,000 fps IIRC. Very little low velocity data was with it. All the low velocity data published was in the older Lyman manuals.

94Doug
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I see. I was thinking those were pretty much like a gallery item, which the Ideal load would be.... I guess 2000fps puts a whole different spin on this.

d

Edward429451
03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
That would be interesting at 2000 fps if it didnt lead and shot straight, buut that's prolly askin too much...[smilie=1:

I'm going to load up some with 5 & 6 gr Unique and test those. Even at 1000 fps they would give bugs a real hard day.

Does anyone have any of the old Lyman manuals to post a few different loads from it?