PDA

View Full Version : He showed me a Squib

BulletFactory
06-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Ok, so I went shooting today. I wanted to try a powder from back in the day. HS-6. I only had 10 rounds PC'd, so I loaded them at a 7 gr starting load.

Every one fired, the recoil was nice, and other than the first shot which I pulled, had a group much much better than I was accustomed to with the Unique and WST powders I have been using.

Except the last round which felt light. I assumed that I had inadvertently loaded one of the baby rounds that are used for kids, new-b's and malfunction training.

Well, a few minutes ago, something told me to check the bore. Well, I'm a Christian, and accustomed to listening to that. So, even though we dont look down the barrel of loaded guns anymore than Peter wanted a BLT, I checked the bore.

Guess what?

You know what...

There was a bullet stuck about half way in. It's a subcompact, so, half way. It was easy to see. The feeling it gave me wasn't so easy, more like uneasy. 'specially since I have been carrying it all day like that.

So, when a semi auto doesn't eject the case, and feels light, check the bore. Might not have been from your kids ammo box. (honestly, they feel similar in recoil).

I have shot and loaded at least 25,000 rounds for this caliber, 70% of those through this gun. This was the first time that I had loaded one empty, and I KNOW that it was the Holy Spirit that told me to check that barrel.

Praise God.

BNE
06-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Amen. Glad nothing bad happened.

BulletFactory
06-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Me too of course.

I never just shoot a magazine. I was out doing load development on the rifle and thought I'd bring a pistol target and start data collection.

Bzcraig
06-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Great reminder that paying attention to ours guns and the Holy Spirit is wise!

Pipefitter
06-22-2015, 09:56 PM
While I have never had a stuck bullet I did load one round of 45ACP on my Dillon 550 with a primer upside down. (Must have happened when loading the primer tube.)

Was shooting with a buddy when he had a pop instead of bang. He ejected the faulty round and aimed again when I called a cease fire to check the bore, thinking that there was no powder charge in the affected case. That is when we discovered the backwards primer in the case on the ground.

Hawks Feather
07-01-2015, 09:05 PM
That is a great reminder and one that I will remember.

RobsTV
07-01-2015, 09:30 PM
With well over 100,000 rounds shot, 99+% reloads, the only squibs I've seen, twice, is from commercial 22LR. Just pointing this out as somehow reloads get a bad rap while commercial usually gets a pass.

DCP
07-04-2015, 08:24 AM
I had a pastor tell me a story once. He was late for a important meeting, he was down town and needed a parking place.
So he prayed for one. Right before his eyes a car pulls out. He then said, I don't know if he answered my prayer, but he new what was going to happen and used it to strengthen my faith. AMEN

BulletFactory
07-04-2015, 08:37 AM
You might be surprised at how often He will help you out if you follow Him and just talk to Him.

Avenger442
07-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Believe in that constant conversation that the relationship with God brings with it. Has helped me more than a few times.

BulletFactory
07-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Yessir.

Andy
07-09-2015, 11:12 PM
I thank God for protecting you, he is so good to us. Next time a cynical person thinks an act of god is a coincidence ask them what 1/25,000 is and tell them this story.