PDA

View Full Version : .380 problem

histed
06-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Any of you loading .380 with the Lee 356-95 RF? Loaded a batch for my 738 TCP and got a lot of failure to feed. I'm using CFE Pistol and started light (3.1 gr), so it may be that the loads aren't cycling the action properly OR I may have been limp wristing the pistol. Just trying to eliminate things and I have never used this bullet before, so I'm not sure if the TCP has a problem with flat-nose/semi-wadcutter style bullets. Any help is, as always, appreciated.

edctexas
06-22-2015, 08:43 PM
I use a NOE RN boolit 358242 which drops at 94gr. I PC coat the boolit and then size to 356. I use 2.2gr of Red Dot which cycles nicely. I have not used the powder you are using but it is slower than Red Dot. On the chart I use for reference from Hogdon CFE Pistol is #44 while Red Dot is #8. You might be able to use Hogdon's Clays, 700X or the Bullseye.

Ed C

reloader28
06-23-2015, 12:48 AM
I think thats the same version as my Ranch Dog 100 RF.
We had problems seating at .920 in our three TCP's. With that big nose, ours were hanging up on the slide lock and locking it open. I suppose we could seat them deeper (but they shoot good), so instead we took a Dremel and ground down the catch. It dont lock open now when the mag is empty, but no more problems.

I think that .920 is about the max length we can go in ours and the springs do seem pretty stiff for a couple hundred rounds.

Blackwater
06-23-2015, 01:04 PM
I think I'd definitely up the charge wt. Do you have a chrono? If not, you really ought to consider getting one. They can make answers to questions like these really easy and clear.

Eddie2002
06-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Been using a 115 grain round nose cast boolit over 2.4 grains of Greendot with no problems in a Ruger LCP. with the OCL of .920 I was getting some fail to feeds so I shortened them up to .900 and polished the feed ramp with some 600 wet/dry paper. I would think that 3.1 grains of powder would be plenty to run the action with a 95 grain boolit. I would check the feed path for possible rough spots by cleaning the gun and then running some rounds through the chamber by hand then looking for any spots that show lead shavings or wear marks. I've found that it doesn't take much to cause a fail to feed.

runfiverun
06-23-2015, 02:57 PM
I'd stop and make a couple of dummy's starting with a longer oal.
then seat them a tick shorter, and shorter until I got 100% feeding and ejection by hand.
then back the oal down another .005 just to make sure and run them through again. then make another pair of dummy rounds and run them from the magazine to ejection by hand.

then I'd start my load work-up based on available case capacity.
looking for 100% ejection and feeding first.[baseline load]
then bump the load/alloy/lube a bit here and there to get the poi in the right place or until leading occurs. [or your happy,,, whatever]

Cherokee
06-23-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm loading that bullet @ .930", sized .358 with 3.1 gr of 231 for my guns, which are BDA380, Star Pony, Iver Johnson Pony (both copies of the old Colt pony). Haven't tried the PT3AT yet. Accuracy is good and functions OK; I may need to tweak there some. CFE is on the slow side for the 380 so more powder may be needed for you.

histed
06-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to grind the catch, since I like that feature. Unfortunately a chrono is not in the budget in the near future, much as I'd like to have one (maybe the kids can get me one for Christmas). For now, I'm going to try RFR's solution, combined with BE powder. If the rain ever quits long enough to shoot, I'll let you know how this works out. If all else fails, I could try the 356-102-1R. It's only $19.00 for the 2 hole, but I like the big meplat for a SD load.

Gastero
06-24-2015, 02:20 AM
On my Beretta 1934 I use LEES 102 grain RN,3.0 Unique and .930 OAL. Also used this load on Walther PPK and Beretta 84.

histed
07-03-2015, 04:11 PM
After taking everyone's advice (at least once!) I've come to the conclusion that the 738 Taurus just doesn't like flat nose boolits. I tried every safe seating depth and pretty much every powder I have that should work in this pistol. Boolits work fine in my SD9VE and my wife's SCCY AND I get to buy another mold - likely a Lee 356-102 RN. Thanks again fellas.Live and learn

mjwcaster
07-09-2015, 11:03 AM
I got my TCP to feed Winchester White Box flat nose (kind of) with a little work.
Polishing of the feed ramp and chamber, and careful modification of the slide catch.
My slide lock still works, but is close to not working and the 2 factory mags I have are very different in tolerance.
If the mags were held to closer tolerance it might have meant less modification to the slide catch, one of the mag bodies is overly large and the follower moves around too much (both followers, I have swapped them).

It ran fine for a while, but I think the mag springs have weakened some, I now get last round failure to feeds, first on one mag and now on both.

If you want to play with it, parts are cheap from Taurus, I have a bag of them sitting next to me.
Slide Stop- 36124974

And don't believe the order form on shipping, it only cost me a few bucks for shipping.

I only bought the taurus because it was cheap and I could play around with polishing and cleaning it up with no worries on ruining an expensive gun.

Boolseye
07-10-2015, 04:32 PM
I have a 738 and it shoots that boolit just fine. Sized .358",
I load with 2.8 grains of BE and a light taper crimp. OAL .925-.930"

histed
07-10-2015, 06:40 PM
For anyone else having this problem, here's a link to show you how to fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxCZxEyvvIo or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnbykMhuIM

Apparently the slide lock tab (?) is a bit long on some of these pistols and catches on certain types of boolits, my Lee being one of them. A few strokes of the file and a slight seating adjustment and - BINGO - it runs like a champ, problem solved. The guys at TaurusArmed did say that not all models of the 738 do this and Taurus has shortened the catch on the newest models. So, R5R, you were headed in the right direction, as usual. Again, gent, I appreciate the help

KnotRight
07-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Have not reloaded a bunch of powers but have used Bullseye and 700X with out a problem. The Bullseye was between 2.4 to 2.9 gns and the 700X was between 2.1 to 2.3 gns. The bullets were Xtreme 100 gr and Precision 95 gn. The OAL was between .950 to .960".

Did not have a problem with the loads in a Walther PPK and Keltec.

I would try a faster burning powder.

mjwcaster
07-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Also check how the extractor is holding the case.
When I first got mine, the extractor was holding the base of the case far from the breech face.
I tried playing (filing) with it a little and took too much off (there really was nothing I could do to fix it).
It hit the taper of the extractor grove too far forward, holding the case on an extreme angle.
I think that this contributed to slowing the slide down.

The replacement extractor holds the case much straighter and closer to the breech face, but still not perfect, if you hand feed a case behind the extractor, it still sit on a bit of an angle.

It does hold a 9mm case against the breech face perfect. but the 9mm has a wider (taller?) extractor grove, with much less taper at the top edge.

I think the original was just too long, and there was no easy was to add metal to it, to make it hold closer to the base of the cartridge.

I think these are decent guns, but a little better finishing and quality control could make them great guns.

It is surprisingly accurate for a pocket pistol, can break clays at 20+ yards regularly.

mjwcaster
07-10-2015, 10:38 PM
I also tried stretching the mag springs out a little on one mag today, but only fired 7 rounds of water soaked hp ammo, so no idea if it will help.
It sure did add pressure while loading the mag, but I'd guess it will only be temporary, until the spring take a set again.
Swamped a jon boat the other day with the 738 in my pocket and just wanted to use up/test the ammo.

I still think that the mags, at least mine could use a little more spring, since I had no feed issues with flat points for a while after my mods, and now have last round failure to feeds, last round getting caught on the feed ramp.
Haven't played with this thing much in a while, now your thread has me wanting to test it some more.
I think I will take a little more off of the slide catch, especially since I have 2 more on hand.

depoloni
07-10-2015, 10:41 PM
I'd...

5, or 10, or 50 knowledgeable answers, and it only usually takes one "genuine issue"... :oops:

Run Five... Run...