PDA

View Full Version : Havt to rant a little.

crazy mark
06-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Last week my old XP based Compaq presario died after about 10 - 12 years. Motherboard gave up. Bought a new computer and it has win 8.1. Didn't want 7 as my last job before I retired had win 7. Knew 8 wasn't much better so I decided 8.1 was something to try as I will get a free upgrade to win10 if I decide to. I hate trying to figure out the settings so I ordered a win8.1 for dummies book. It keeps trying to change my start page and search engine and I keep changing them back. Freaking computer programmers.

Land Owner
06-22-2015, 01:12 PM
You are going to have to peek and poke a little bit to find the toggle that allows you to click ON for the PC to automatically redirect to the previous browser and home page or click OFF so that you can set your own browser and homepage. Some of these "defaults" are established when new software is downloaded or installed. You have to READ ALL of the junk that is trying to load and then make informed choices about what software should and should not load.

The most probable location of the aforementioned toggle is in TOOLS==>INTERNET OPTIONS==>GENERAL

gwpercle
06-22-2015, 01:44 PM
I don't want to read all the junk. Can't computers come with an instruction manual that explains in Plain English how to operate the thing, what to do, what not to do and how to do it.
Everything else in the world comes with operating instructions...my washing machin, lawnmower, a/c unit, drill, weed eater, case tumbler, reloading dies, Lee bullet moulds.....I read instructions and would use them.....but computers don't have any...WHY!
Thanks...I needed to rant about Windows and computers too.
Gary

9w1911
06-22-2015, 01:58 PM
There are options to choose your browser. If you want a more intuitive computer buy an Apple.

quickdraw66
06-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't want to read all the junk. Can't computers come with an instruction manual that explains in Plain English how to operate the thing, what to do, what not to do and how to do it.
Everything else in the world comes with operating instructions...my washing machin, lawnmower, a/c unit, drill, weed eater, case tumbler, reloading dies, Lee bullet moulds.....I read instructions and would use them.....but computers don't have any...WHY!
Gary

Sure they could, if you wanted a a few textbook sized manuals. I had to take a tech class a while back for my degree, and it just covered Microsoft office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Publisher). Those four relatively simple programs took a decent sized textbook to cover. Your talking about an entire operating system. Google is your friend.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-turn-internet-explorer-off

Remove all visible entry points to Internet Explorer and set another browser as default
Applies to Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1

Windows allows you to remove all the visible entry points to Internet Explorer and to set another browser as the default. Once access is removed and another browser is chosen as the default, all Internet Explorer icons and menu entries will be removed and Windows will no longer automatically launch Internet Explorer. However, it remains possible for apps and users to directly launch Internet Explorer.

To make changes in Windows 8.1 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-turn-internet-explorer-off#)

Before you make changes, you should to install a browser other than Internet Explorer.

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

Enter default programs in the search box, and then tap or click Default Programs.

Tap or click Set program access and computer defaults, and under Choose a configuration:, tap or click Custom.

Under Choose a default web browser:, select the browser you want to make your default.

To remove all visible entry points for Internet Explorer, clear the Enable access to this program check box for Internet Explorer, and then tap or click OK.

KYCaster
06-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Gary

If there was a simple instruction manual the pimply faced geeks at Best Buy wouldn't have any way to justify their existence.

Jerry

crazy mark
06-23-2015, 10:47 PM
I did find an arrow on there funky start screen that shows me all the programs and folders. Even says which ones are new. Now to just find the secret button so It can't change my settings with-out asking me. Thanks for the answers.

JeffinNZ
06-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

ascast
06-24-2015, 10:12 AM
There are options to choose your browser. If you want a more intuitive computer buy an Apple.

My first was an Apple and I never had any trouble with it. I will most likely go back when this box dies.

good luck

RayinNH
06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
quickdraw66, I have news for you, Google is not your friend.

garym1a2
06-24-2015, 12:22 PM
I like Windows 7 much better than 8.

quickdraw66
06-24-2015, 07:16 PM
quickdraw66, I have news for you, Google is not your friend.

Well, if you wanted to divulge into that, neither is Apple, Microsoft, or many of the computer manufactures. Google is our friend as far as internet searching is concerned.

crazy mark
06-24-2015, 11:58 PM
Have you tried turning it off and on again?. Yep that was the forst thing I tried. Finally booted up SWMBO's PC and copied her settings. Finally settling down. Now just waiting to get the Removeable drive back that they are copying files off my old HD. 168GB of data. Not all needed but I told them do it all and I will decide. First run they only did 16GB.