PDA

View Full Version : Recently a Bought Speedy Melt B16 Furnace / Mini Foundry.

waarp8nt
06-20-2015, 07:07 PM
The furnace came with tools, sand, sifting trays...ect. Everything except the gas tank/tanks. Although I bought the Furnace, I likely won't get to use it until winter...got too many irons in the fire already, plus the old honey do list from the wife. Besides, when I get to using it I want to take the time and do it right...pour my heart into it.

My thoughts on first project were to cast an action/body/frame for an under hammer muzzleloader.

Any thoughts of wisdom or advise on the use of a mini foundry?

Not mine - random picture off the internet. Mine is similar except green.

100th Post!!!

plus1hdcp
06-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Just as in casting boolits, be safe. It sounds like you found a nice setup and look forward to hear what parts you cast.

Buckshot
06-27-2015, 03:16 AM
.............Is that furnace capable of bringing cast iron or steel to a pourable temp, or were you thinking of making a Bronze frame?

............Buckshot

MBTcustom
06-27-2015, 04:55 AM
I would start by getting some foundry sand and casting some aluminum stuff first. Great practice and very useful. I have a friend across town that built himself a foundry and built a scraper machine from aluminum castings! Very cool.
Also, if you start casting bronze, you can make a bell (don't ask me why that seems like such an awesome project!)

Anyway, congrats and enjoy it!

country gent
06-27-2015, 10:31 AM
We had an gentleman at the club ( was an old pttern maker) and he would cast freland style spotting scope bases and the mounts from aluminum, he did a very few from bronze but they were very heavy. I did alot of odds and ends with boxes of sand and his small foundry melting aluminum cans. Wished Id have learned more from him now. When he passed his patterns were sold thru a local gun shop and the guy that bought them drilled and tapped made a stand out of the patterns. What a waste that was as now they are gone and no more can be made with out making new patterns. CAsting can be alot of fun but is dangerous as aluminum, brass, and steel are all at even higher temps than the lead we normally work with. But breaking that new casting out of the sand is really rewarding also. Wax images can be made and melted out of the form also making a nice accurate mould for doing this

waarp8nt
07-01-2015, 09:16 PM
The Furnace came with some sand in a few 5 gal buckets and a couple partial 15 gal drums. It also came with 2 flask or boxes, sifter and some safety equipment to grasp the crucible.

From reading instructions online it can do some steel. I will have to read more thoroughly into it to fully understand what it is capable of casting.

My intent is to cast some aluminum stuff first, then work up from there. Never thought about a bell. Sounds neat, but I bet it could be difficult. Investment casting by wax or foam both sound interesting as well. Thus, the reason I want to get a few irons out of the fire (work done on the farm) before I start casting....very afraid I may get addicted.

Besides the under hammer action, I thought about a couple silver crosses for jewelry purposes and I have always wanted to make a roman short sword from copper.

A have been saving back cast aluminum, brass fittings and some clean copper pipe as I am cleaning up the farm. Hopefully, all to be put to good use this fall.

pretzelxx
07-02-2015, 12:26 AM
I had a furnace about twice that size at my high school but I never got to use it, I didn't take the advance shop class. He said they played around a lot and some guys made some neat stuff. Really wish I had the opportunity to play with one. Enjoy it, looks like it will be a long time fun