PDA

View Full Version : cartridges of the world?

KenH
06-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Hello all - not sure which forum this should be in, but it's really kind of a general question so didn't seem to fit in any of the other forums. Looking at the book "cartridges of the world" - of course it'd be nice to have the new 14th edition, but there are several older editions that are MUCH less expensive (yea, I know $30 isn't bad, but I've never been known as "Diamond Jim). The 14th edition says "over 1500 cartridges" as does the 8th edition for $7. What does the 14th edition get me? Are there more cartridges listed? OR - just a lot of rewording to have a new edition?

Thanks, Ken H>

Wayne Smith
06-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Hopefully, and I don't know this, the errors have been corrected.

JSnover
06-20-2015, 04:54 PM
It will include new cartridges since the last edition (there have been quite a few new ones since the 8th, especially in the "Wildcat" and "Proprietary" sections). It's a good reference. Not the only one, but a pretty good start.

KenH
06-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Thanks for input Wayne - I was reading on Amazon the cartridge measurement section and saw a couple of things that didn't jive with what I'd measured either. I just checked the 14th edition on Amazon and it gives measurements for the 43 Spanish Reformato, but not the 43 Spanish. Interesting.

Thanks for the input.

Ken H>

KenH
06-20-2015, 04:57 PM
JSnover, what do you consider the "best" reference that contains the most cartridges with the most correct info?

Thanks, Ken H>

JSnover
06-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Oh… that's a hard one. You might look at "Ammo Encyclopedia." Cartridges Of The World is considered to be the standard reference but that's a fairly subjective opinion. If I didn't have any, I'd start with that one. I'd also keep an eye out for old copies of "Gun Digest," "Handloaders Digest," "Shooters Bible." Check the used book stores or gun shows.
You will find gaps in every one, so you sort of have to pick and choose to get what you need. Enjoy the hunt.
Buy a book shelf, too. You'll need it :wink:

KenH
06-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Buy a book shelf

You know my love of books - In "my" room (guns, ham radio, knife making, etc) there is a single book shelf 15 ft long and almost 7 ft high..... and I'm running out of room {g}

I'll keep my eyes open for those books - got an old copy of Handloader's Digest.

Ken H>

chuckbuster
06-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Ken Howell's "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for rifles and handguns" is awfully thorough. Have not shopped for one but Diamond Jim would have to be pretty good friends and partners with Oil Well Sally to get my copy.

Artful
06-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Donnell's "The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions" is pretty good or Dimensions.

KenH
06-20-2015, 09:08 PM
I saw the price for "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for rifles and handguns" - runs anywhere from $150 to $50 was the lowest I saw. Even Amazon was $120 or so. The only book I've got at this time is "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" copy wright 1982. It's pretty good, but very limited in number of cartridges it covers. Thanks for the "The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions" suggestion - I've found it for $21 shipped used, OR $23.57 shipped new. I think I'll order it.

Ken H>

Artful
06-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Ken H, one thing you can do before spending any money is go to your local library and check out the books you are thinking of spending money on - if you don't find it on the shelf ask the librarian many times they have inter-library loans to get what you want.

The other thing is just get the older manual's (gun shows, garage or estate sales) - lots of wisdom in them and you can learn to judge what's going to be a good load in advance - if 5 out 6 books list a powder as best load, chances are that powder would be a good choice.

ascast
06-21-2015, 02:45 PM
KenH- personnally I would snap up any copy or version for $7. If you use them a lot the bindings break. And you need one copy for the shop and "computor desk"copy.
The different versions have different extra captures, like early tools, or very early cartridges. From what I can see, the typos do not get corrected. The older versions do not have any of the modern stuff in them.; obviously.

perotter
06-21-2015, 05:13 PM
They change the special information in them. I have two different editions and only bought the 2nd one because it had a write up about smokeless powder. If I want to know about a cartridge, I just grab the nearest one.

I'd buy the one for $7 and in a few years maybe buy the other one when there is 15th edition out.

Blacksmith
06-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Here is a place to try for discount books.

Cartridges of the World
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/Fishing-Hunting/cartridges-of-the-world-14th-edition-a-complete-and-illustrated-reference-for-more-than-1500-cartridges

Reloading
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/cartridge-reloading-in-the-twenty-first-century-tools-tips-and-comprehensive-information

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/gun-digest-shooters-guide-to-reloading

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/reloading-for-handgunners

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-abcs-of-reloading-9th-edition-the-definitive-guide-for-novice-to-expert

Shooter's Bible
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/products/search?q=Shooter%27s+Bible&cat_id=&find=Find+%C2%BB

Artful
06-21-2015, 11:41 PM
Those are some pretty good links - my wife's going to put you on her list of shouldn't be read thread author's.

KenH
06-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks to all for comments and links. Those are good links. I have ordered the "The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions" for $23.57 shipped, and on advice here, I just ordered the Cartridges of the World, 8th edition.

Yep, I'm a BIG fan of the local library - many times I can check out the book and get what I need, but I "really" like books on my shelf {g}.

40 yrs ago I was pretty heavy into shooting cast bullets from .25 cal to 357 cal. typically shooting 100 or so rounds per week - heck, more than that I'm sure. My ex-wife and cousin where helping me "burn powder" so we did go thru a lot of cast bullets. Just now getting back into shooting some. Most interest for now is the larger caliber BP cartridges.

Thanks again to all for helping me spend money {g}

Ken H>