PDA

View Full Version : 360 DW Brass using 357 max loads.

45-70 Chevroner
06-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Just wondering if any one has worked up loads yet using DW brass to be shot in 357 max guns? I have around 200 each of plain base wide nose and gas check wide nose both weighing 185 gr. They both have the same profile. They also have multiple grease groves, kind of like the Lee TL molds. They are not Lee boolits though. Any one have loads they would like to share or recommend for these two boolits. I have 2400, Red Dot, Unique, AA #7, RL #7, 700 X, and Bullseye.

Tatume
06-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Hi Chevroner,

I'm another who bought 360 DW cases because they were available from Starline, with the intention of using them in the 357 Maximum. My ammo can be loaded to the same OAL with either case, with plenty of case tension, so loads are interchangeable.

Good luck.

Take care, Tom

Blackwater
06-18-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you meant by your post, but there's NO way that .357 max. loads will even FIT inside the DW cases, so that's out physically. Also, never forget that the smaller the space you confine a given powder charge, the more pressure it will yield when fired, so a .357 maxi load in DW brass would be off the charts and likely would blow up a gun. EQUIVALENT loads, pressure wise, is what I think you meant, and that is just a matter of working up loads. Whenever I do that, I usually use Fed primers if I can get them, since they have historically tended to show pressure just a bit sooner than others, with WW showing to usually be the "hardest" and last to show pressures. I'd just take the Fed primers in DW brass, and start out with max loads for the std. .357 and work up gradually and slowly until the primers showed the very beginnings of pressure, and then back off about 1/2 gr. and switch to a harder primer. In load workups, too, you could use SP primers, since they usually are a tiny bit thinner and will reveal pressures before SR's. Shouldn't be much of a problem, really.

runfiverun
06-18-2015, 08:58 PM
he want's to use the 360 brass in a 357 max gun.
I'd load out to one of the multiple lube grooves to gain back some of the internal volume and use 360 data.

Tatume
06-19-2015, 07:03 AM
I'm not entirely sure what you meant by your post, but there's NO way that .357 max. loads will even FIT inside the DW cases, so that's out physically.

Way. When loaded to the same OAL the base of the bullet is the same distance from the case head in the two cartridges. The only difference in internal volume would be because of differences in brass thickness.

Also, never forget that the smaller the space you confine a given powder charge, the more pressure it will yield when fired, so a .357 maxi load in DW brass would be off the charts and likely would blow up a gun.

No way. The pressure will be the same in DW or Max cases, provided the internal volume is the same and the cartridges are fired in the same gun.

Blackwater
06-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Actually, Tatume, pressure could possibly be lower using DW brass, PROVIDED the bullet is seated to the same OAL, since Max. brass has a very strong head section, and I haven't seen any DW brass, but if it's constructed to std. .357 specs, it would likely have a smidge MORE capacity internally WHEN SEATED TO SAME OAL. There was no specification of seating the bullet out to the same OAL in the OP, so that's what I responded to. The fact is, the Maxi really needs a good, strong crimp for best ignition of a long columnn of slow burning powder. The location of the crimp groove, therefore, is usually the governing determinant of what kind of OAL can be achieved and still get uniform results (spell that "accuracy"), which most Maxi users are seeking along with the velocity boost it offers, particularly at the longer ranges typical of most Maxi applications.

You're very right about the scenario you envision. It just wasn't included in the OP and I was just responding to the OP as presented initially.

45-70 Chevroner
06-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys. I think my intentions for the question was not as clear as I thought they were. I do know about volume pressure and the like. Loads for the 357 max are some what limited, and I was looking for loads using the powders I listed. OAL would have to be consistent with the Max. I don't know if max cases are thicker than the DW cases so I will sacrifice a Max case by trimming it to DW length then weigh the two. The strength of the two cases also depends on the brass alloy. Starting low and working up is a must, I just need a starting point.

Blackwater
06-19-2015, 07:13 PM
You're doing it right. If the capacity of the DW brass you have is very similar, you'll likely be able to use std. Maxi loads if you're going to seat to the same listed OAL. You just won't likely be able to crimp unless you just get lucky with the bullets you're shooting. At least some help may come, if you want to crimp, from bullets like the 358156 that have two crimp grooves, or if you're sure you'll be carrying the ammo in a clean, tight carrier so they won't pick up dirt, grit, etc. you may be able to seat out and crimp in a lube groove. All kinds of ways to skin that cat, and it sounds like you're onto the chase like a bloodhound on a bear. Very interesting caliber. I haven't shot mine in a while now. It's a Contender 10" oct. barrel I had punched out to the Maxi, and I like it a lot. Need to get my sorry butt out and take a deer with it. I've done worse, though. Good luck and let us know how it all works out if you don't mind. Maxis aren't really common so those of us who like and shoot it would be very interested. With the lack of components on a regular basis, we may ALL wind up needing info like this before long! Thanks.

45-70 Chevroner
06-19-2015, 07:58 PM
The shooting will be done with a Contender. The barrel is a 14" custom barrel made by Dave Vanhorn in Mesa Arizona. Some of the powders I mentioned are listed in the Lyman loading books that I have, so I will start there. I don't think there has been a lot of expiermenting with loads for the 357 Max using the DW case so I'll be kind of on my own. Thanks.

IHMSA53393
06-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Dan Wesson 360 Revolver Article w/load data: http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotDanWesson360Revolver.htm#loaddata

catmandu
05-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Good article. I missed that on.

Paul in WNY

fatelvis
05-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Why don't you prime one of your new DW cases and fill it with water, and weigh how much water it takes to fill the case. (keep dripping water in until it almost overflows from the case). I will plug in the data into Quickload for you. Just a FYI, I get 1640fps out of my 12" 357 Max Contender barrel, Using Maximum brass, a 215grn GC boolit (358627) and IMR4227 powder.