PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Father God, for blueberries!

1johnlb
06-17-2015, 05:58 PM
My wife and myself have 3 blueberry bushes, 2 rabbit eye and 1 of another, I forget, but she always wants me to go pick some for her. I always try and I love her but there's just something about pick'n and eat'n blueberries.
They are just swelling up and turning blue here in NC. They swell up to almost the size of a quarter and are at their sweetest moment and I can't seem to put any in the bucket. Is this wrong of me, do I need repenting?
I don't like bb when they go in the refrigerator, they loose something but boy they sure are irresistible out there hanging on those bushes.
She's just going to have and wait for the scupadine and muscadine grapes, when there's more than I can eat.

Thank you Jesus

Blammer
06-17-2015, 07:11 PM
We picked one of our bushes clean the other day, and are waiting on the other two to get ripe. Then, fresh pie!

square butte
06-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Amen ...

Wayne Smith
06-18-2015, 07:48 AM
We're picking the early rabbiteye, have two active bushes and a couple quarts in the freezer already. Two later bushes are still green.

w5pv
06-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Love dem blueberry cobblers,hard to beat.

1johnlb
06-18-2015, 08:57 AM
One of the local mom and pop restaurants has a pie that's the local rave. It sounds terrible, at least it did to me and never would have tried it if everyone else wasn't talking about it. It's a Limon meringue pie full of fresh blue berries, yumm.

KCSO
06-18-2015, 09:49 AM
No blueberries here but the wife and I were talking about going to Monson's Dairy Queen in Park Rapids Minn and getting blueberry malts with fresh picked berries years ago. Boy they shure were good. I wonder if the place is even still there? I would love some fresh blueberries but there are none in this section of the country.

oldred
06-18-2015, 10:07 AM
My wife and myself have 3 blueberry bushes, 2 rabbit eye and 1 of another, I forget,

They swell up to almost the size of a quarter

Then the one you can't remember must be "Chandler", they are the ones that reach quarter size, most extra large fruit (relative to the size of others of it's kind) loses flavor and/or sweetness so most times it's more of a novelty than anything else. Not so with Chandler blueberries however! Those large sort of flat berries are some the sweetest, juiciest, best tasting berries of all! Doesn't take long to pick a bucket full either. I have four different varieties but that's because they have different ripening times so that it extends our season and if it weren't for that Chandlers and one other variety for a pollinator is all I would have. A chandler blueberry bush loaded down with huge berries every bit as big as quarters is a sight to behold!

For anyone interested in growing blueberries Stark Bros nursery has them on sale right now for less than $7 each plus shipping. It's awfully late in the season to be planting bare root plants however but if you plant them in gallon size containers filled with a mix of potting soil and peat moss then keep them in the shade until they start growing they will do just fine. Let them grow in semi-shade (full shade for the first two weeks, or until substantial growth has started, then transplant them to their permanent spots in about September or October. It's possible to get a few berries next year and two years from now you will be delighted and amazed at what these things will do!

Skunk1
06-18-2015, 06:57 PM
My son makes it hard for me to buy them here. Maybe someday he will just get paid in blueberries at his work. They are delicious.

MaryB
06-19-2015, 12:24 AM
Not blueberries but Dairy King in Redwood Falls serves a rhubarb shake that is a must have every spring

No blueberries here but the wife and I were talking about going to Monson's Dairy Queen in Park Rapids Minn and getting blueberry malts with fresh picked berries years ago. Boy they shure were good. I wonder if the place is even still there? I would love some fresh blueberries but there are none in this section of the country.

FISH4BUGS
06-19-2015, 07:34 AM
I had some work done on my car a couple of days ago in Saco, ME. I left the car off at the garage and walked down to the local restaurant for breakfast while they worked on the car. I stumbled across the farmer's market they have every Wednesday and bought 4 quarts of organic strawberrys picked that morning.
Man they were heavenly. I ate 2 quarts any my SO ate the other 2. That is a miracle of nature to have them taste THAT good!

castalott
06-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Ben Franklin said beer is proof God loves us. I think it's blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, peaches, plums, apples, cabbage and wilted lettuce....But that's just me...

MaryB
06-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Local pick your own strawberry place will have berries ready next week. Going to splurge and get a bunch to freeze.