PDA

View Full Version : Weed Wacker? Here's a Tip

ol skool
06-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Did a search couldn't find it, so thought to pass it along. If it has been pointed out before, well, here it is again.

SOAK YOUR LINE IN WATER for a day or two before using. Evidently the nylon dries out after a while and we all know what comes next, it's brittle and breaks easy. Wonder why the mfg's don't put this on the box, eh? Because IT WORKS!!!!

I use 0.105 Echo Crossfire in a Stihl FS 250 with a 25-2 tap head. Any of you that have this weed wacker know it's a reincarnation of '70-'71 Hemi 'Cuda. The ground shakes when it fires up, the grass recoils in fear, there is no line it cannot destroy. It has blackberries, mustard, saplings, bunch grass, whatever for snacks.

Used to be one tank of fuel and recharge the lines. Depending on the how much mustard and blackberries sometimes less! That's 9 feet for each side, 18 feet total for a 25-2 head.

After a couple days of weed wacking, I'm running right at twice that right now. 2 tanks of fuel before recharging the head. If it's just grass then more!

Before anyone starts in on "oh you should be using Oregon line", the Kevlar core stuff just shreds on my chores. Been at since '89 and tried everything out there...

LUCKYDAWG13
06-16-2015, 09:40 PM
I do the same thing with zip ties

Superfly
06-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Hmm makes sense

MaryB
06-16-2015, 10:31 PM
My trimmer uses a really hard short piece of line. Lasts doing my entire lawn for 2 rounds.

Mk42gunner
06-17-2015, 12:24 AM
My new one does the same, Mary. I really bought it because I could get a polesaw attachment for it at the same time for about half what a Stihl polesaw alone would cost. I figured that I would only have to use the polesaw about once every four or five years, so I can't see the sense in committing ~$400.00 to sit and corrode.

Robert

Dryball
06-17-2015, 01:15 AM
Thanks for a great tip...I have some line soaking right now.

jonp
06-17-2015, 08:09 PM
never heard of soaking the line. Thanks for the tip. I used a ryobi for several years commercialy and got several attachments. I keep it at the hunting camp and it still runs fine. The new 4 stroke I bought is a good idea with using straight gas and all but has no power. Im not impressed

Nueces
06-17-2015, 08:49 PM
I must say, I enjoy hearing every one talk about all the cool yard care equipment they have (and repair, store, and use in the blazing sun...). I haven't had such toys in 40 years. There's a cute little Clausing milling machine in the garage instead. The 1.6 acre yard is thigh high in hay and wildflowers, which I plant every year to amuse the neighbors. I pay to have it mowed about twice a year. Even with a fairly anxious neighborhood association, all is quiet. Quiet, that is, unless the guy across the street is touring his lot with his riding mower. Bless his heart.

Tenbender
06-17-2015, 08:59 PM
I will not pass this on to my lawn guy ! Don't care how much string he uses. Never liked him much anyway ! :kidding:

oneokie
06-17-2015, 11:04 PM
It gets brittle because the plasticizers volatize out.

montana_charlie
06-18-2015, 12:50 PM
It gets brittle because the plasticizers volatize out.
I wonder if soaking the string in water volatiizes the plasticizers back in ...

aspangler
06-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Spraying just LITTLE Kroil on the coil of line refill will work just as well if not better. You can also use brake fluid. Ask me how I know.

lowallman
06-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Got someone doing mine. No idea how long his string lasts.

odfairfaxsub
06-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Does this work for corks? Soaking them....

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Weed wacker??? That is why they make Roundup. Pssshhhh! :bigsmyl2:

snuffy
06-18-2015, 05:42 PM
I bought an attachment/replacement head for my Poulan pro trimmer from wally world. It has 3 flat yellow blades that are tough as he-double-hockey sticks. Even cuts small woody brush with ease. The original string head that came with it was a total disaster. I created some new cuss words trying to get it to work. That new head is universal, has different ways to attach it. Left hand threaded one worked on the Poulan.

Now trimming is a breeze. Nothing stands in the way of it.

ol skool
06-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Spraying just LITTLE Kroil on the coil of line refill will work just as well if not better. You can also use brake fluid. Ask me how I know.

Will try that on the next batch. OK so how do you know!?

AricTheRed
06-18-2015, 11:27 PM
Want a real weed hacker, one you never need to change the line on? Get a scythe. Www.scythesupply.com

And check out this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE