PDA

View Full Version : Price check for 1 lb. of FFG black powder?

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2015, 02:26 PM
I won an online auction for 2 new cans of FFG Goex black powder. After all fees were added on it came to $49.00 for the 2 cans. Is this about market cost, as I can`t find black powder around here since the regs were put on selling it a few years back?Robert

Rustyleee
06-16-2015, 02:31 PM
If the $49 include the Hazmat fee I'd say you did well. $20 a pound locally is about normal here.

kokomokid
06-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Powder inc is 25.50 per # for 5# includes ship and hazmat. Drops to 16.20 on 25#.

tradbear55
06-16-2015, 03:25 PM
I paid $21/lb.

dagger dog
06-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Bass Pro Clarksville IN 22 bucks

bubba.50
06-16-2015, 06:28 PM
that works out to $24.50 per lb which is pretty decent anywhere & pretty great if yer in an area where real black is hard to come by.

retread
06-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Graf & Sons has Goex for 16.59 and Grafs brand on sale at 12.99. I always lump my black, smokeless and primers in one order to lessen the hazmat burden. Also their shipping is 7.95 no matter how big the order.

Geezer in NH
06-16-2015, 06:46 PM
You won it it is yours pay for it.

Time to ask was before. IMHO

crossxsticks
06-16-2015, 11:23 PM
its a terrable price , I rember in early 60'es it was $1.00 pr lb in 25 lb kegg
and $2.00 lb in one pound cans :grin::grin::grin:

waarp8nt
06-17-2015, 12:27 AM
its a terrable price , I rember in early 60'es it was $1.00 pr lb in 25 lb kegg
and $2.00 lb in one pound cans :grin::grin::grin:

$1.00 never heard of it.....it was $8 when I started shooting the old smoke pole about 30 years later in the late 80's early 90's.

Hardcast416taylor, I feel your pain. Black Powder is not readily available in my area. I simply buy it when I can find it. Never had it shipped due to hazmat. It is what it is, at least you got some.

crossxsticks
06-17-2015, 08:13 AM
$1.00 never heard of it.....it was $8 when I started shooting the old smoke pole about 30 years later in the late 80's early 90's.

Hardcast416taylor, I feel your pain. Black Powder is not readily available in my area. I simply buy it when I can find it. Never had it shipped due to hazmat. It is what it is, at least you got some.

yep and i think minimum wages was $1.25 hr. then anyway that was what i was making ;-)

Sasquatch-1
06-17-2015, 08:36 AM
I picked up 5 pounds from a guy in Winchester, Va. for $80.00. Had to drive 25 miles one way to get it but I felt it was worth it.

PS this was FFFg

rancher1913
06-17-2015, 08:45 AM
the closest I can get real bp is a 2 hour drive and its close to 30 bucks for a 1 pound can.

Sasquatch-1
06-17-2015, 09:21 AM
That makes the hazmat fees reasonable.

the closest I can get real bp is a 2 hour drive and its close to 30 bucks for a 1 pound can.

Fly
06-17-2015, 10:09 AM
I make my own for $3 a LB. No hasmat.

Fly

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-17-2015, 11:37 AM
you all need to give Jon a call when you need more black http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

Jon Blackert has good powder and is good people to work with , get some friends or your club together and order a case then divide it up and it makes the hazmat and cost very reasonable.

bangerjim
06-17-2015, 12:46 PM
I bought 4# at a LGS for $12/#. Gotta keep a sharp eye!

banger

bob208
06-17-2015, 01:39 PM
I just checked this morning. $14.50 in 25 lb. kegs. I guess I am lucky I live 20 mi. from a distributor.

Kilroy08
06-19-2015, 01:40 AM
If have your C&R, you can get a dealer account at Grafs. With that, Goex prices around $14 a pound and the house brand $12 per pound. If you get a couple buddies on board with ordering some, it will make hazmat worth while.

OverMax
06-19-2015, 09:02 AM
B/P use to be a bargain back in those days 80s & 90s. I can't remember ever hearing of another shooter who made his own back in those days either because it was so cheap. Sure has gone up in price though to the point where its (almost) cost prohibited to use it for fun & giggles. {Fly has the right idea.} Make you're own.
As far as todays B/P pricing in this local. "Haven't a clue."~~~Um. I know where I can get really good charcoal for its making though. (;

ebner glocken
06-22-2015, 03:46 AM
I remember BP being around 8 bucks a pound but then again smokeless was around 10 or 12 then to. So much fun could be had when I was a teenager for under 20 bucks. Then again I was paid five cents a bail to haul hay and had to keep someones 1.5 acre yard mowed for a month for 100 bucks.

Here lately I've put some thought into making my own for 3 bucks a pound. I've done lots of reading on this but the thing really lacking is having someone who has done it before showing me directly. It's not a problem to set up a ball mill with lead balls. My main questions to those who have done it is.... Static, how much is too much, how are you grounding the spinning mill made of out an insulator? Are you using anything to inert before you open the mill? If so what gas? CO2? Argon? etc.. I've seen coal mills "puff" and it isn't anything nice to see and those are inerted with steam. I'm quite certin that PRB coal wouldn't be a good option.

Ebner

Lead Fred
06-22-2015, 06:38 AM
We buy 50 cans at a time, it was $15 a can, now they raised it to an ungodly $17 a can

Eddie2002
06-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Seen Black Powder going for anywhere between $22.50 up to $40.00 per lb of fff in the local gun stores aound Daytona Beach. I'll pick up a pound or two when the price is under $25.00. Graf's has a good deal at around $15.00/lb which is where I got my last big order from. Split 10lbs with a buddy along with the hazmat and shipping fee.

Texantothecore
06-24-2015, 11:49 AM
I remember BP being around 8 bucks a pound but then again smokeless was around 10 or 12 then to. So much fun could be had when I was a teenager for under 20 bucks. Then again I was paid five cents a bail to haul hay and had to keep someones 1.5 acre yard mowed for a month for 100 bucks.

Here lately I've put some thought into making my own for 3 bucks a pound. I've done lots of reading on this but the thing really lacking is having someone who has done it before showing me directly. It's not a problem to set up a ball mill with lead balls. My main questions to those who have done it is.... Static, how much is too much, how are you grounding the spinning mill made of out an insulator? Are you using anything to inert before you open the mill? If so what gas? CO2? Argon? etc.. I've seen coal mills "puff" and it isn't anything nice to see and those are inerted with steam. I'm quite certin that PRB coal wouldn't be a good option.

Ebner

Read through the sticky in this forum on bp making.

There is a thread that can be accessed by typing in "DIY bp gurus" inthe search engine. It has a very complete run down of how it is done, with parts numbers for tools etc.

Static electricity is not a problem as the bp will only burn at 801 degrees f.
Sources of sparks in the garage breakdown pretty much as follows:

Welding torch
Bench grinder
Body grinder
Smoking whilst practicing alchemy

Good luck

Fly
06-24-2015, 01:23 PM
If you have any questions feel free to pm me. It is really very simple & not rocket science. The sticky is very long & shows
different ways it can be made. But once you start making it you will be hooked to the dark side of this great hobby.

Fly

OverMax
06-25-2015, 11:53 PM
+1 on advice from Fly.

rollmyown
06-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Around here a pound of blackpowder would cost you both of your kidneys and a genuine unicorn horn.. I guess it's supply and demand because I haven't seen it on anyones shelf for years. I'm glad I don't have hungry muzzle loaders to feed.

labradigger1
06-26-2015, 05:54 AM
I have been looking hard w/in a 3 hr radius for 2f. Everyone says the same thing, too many restrictions to get it.
Substitutes abound.

Fly
06-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Heres the deal on the price & availability. Its all about insurance. I talked to a gun shop a while back& ask him
why BP is so hard to find & why he no longer carrys it. He told me insurance plan & simple. They must keep
it in a fire proof container, but also the insurance rate is not worth paying for the profit that they make.

It,s really kind of stupid thinking in many ways. BP is more subject to ignite around sparks. But being

in a closed steel can how can be more danger the smokless powder in a fire? I think it is just ignorance

on the thinking of insurance companys. With ammo, primers & gun powder how can it be much more of a problem?

JMOHOP Fly

Freightman
06-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Heres the deal on the price & availability. Its all about insurance. I talked to a gun shop a while back& ask him
why BP is so hard to find & why he no longer carrys it. He told me insurance plan & simple. They must keep
it in a fire proof container, but also the insurance rate is not worth paying for the profit that they make.

It,s really kind of stupid thinking in many ways. BP is more subject to ignite around sparks. But being

in a closed steel can how can be more danger the smokless powder in a fire? I think it is just ignorance

on the thinking of insurance companys. With ammo, primers & gun powder how can it be much more of a problem?

JMOHOP Fly
Fear! Make my own cheaper and no more dangerous than walking down the street maybe less.

Whiterabbit
06-26-2015, 11:36 AM
It's not stupid thinking, it's reality. BP is an explosive. That means all sorts of different regulations on sale, storage, and transportation. If they could have gotten BP de-listed for sporting purposes they would have a LONG time ago. 'Bout the same time they got smokeless de-listed.

Doesn;t matter at this point. It is what it is.

My local shop sells at ~27 a can, that local shop is 2 hours away by car. I buy from powder inc for a bit less than that after factoring fees. 49 for 2 cans is a fine price.

As for making your own, I developed a load in my caplock using homemade so there's not even a question about commercial vs homemade. it'll only use homemade. Price? Well, I tend to pay retail because I don't like mail order, so after the tumbler, screens, compression die, and consumables I'm at about $95 in equipment and $45 with enough material to make 3 lb or so, with plenty of material left over (minus KNO3). Bulk purchasing of the KNO3 online will significantly reduce that price, but it's still being up and running and making powder that can actually compete with commercial for that price (as opposed to playing games with a mortar and pestle)

Hardcast416taylor
06-26-2015, 12:55 PM
So I probably paid about what market price is going for the 2 lbs. I did some asking at William`s Gunsight shop in Davison about why they quit carrying black. Was told it would cost too much to build a seperate structure so many yards from the main store to house just black powder. Also the cost to train ALL employees that may even touch a can of black at an off site location about the correct way to deal with a sale of a can of black. The insurance he said was a topic all in itself. So, they carry the artifical black powders, but not the real thing. I only wanted a few lbs. for when I blow the dust out of the barrel of my several BP firearms, that`s why I won`t delve into making my own.Robert

Whiterabbit
06-26-2015, 01:27 PM
I don't blame you. I wouldn;t either if I just needed a few pounds, or a pound a year, etc.

Same reason I don't load 223, and throw away the brass.

Sasquatch-1
06-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Another thing to try is check and see if you have any re-enacting groups in your area and see where they get their powder from. The guy I got my from belongs to the North South Skirmish Association, and supplies the club whose range happens to be next door to his farm.

mazo kid
06-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Black powder isn't available locally, hasn't been fo a long time. I get together with 2-3 other shooters and order a case of 25 pounds from a distributor when we need more powder. The HazMat only adds about a dollar per pound to the cost. The last I bought, 4-5 years ago, came to about $16.00 a pound.

Theditchman
06-27-2015, 10:38 AM
I had a look at Graf and sons and they have there own brand on sale for $13 a pound...this was 2 days ago...but sounds cheap if you buy a bunch...I don't know thw quality though

marvelshooter
06-27-2015, 03:53 PM
I just paid $22.00 a pound for 3f Goex at a shop a little less than an hour away.

Pyro&Black
06-27-2015, 08:11 PM
I had a look at Graf and sons and they have there own brand on sale for $13 a pound...this was 2 days ago...but sounds cheap if you buy a bunch...I don't know thw quality though

Sounds like it is pretty good. Here's a thread that discusses it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?174794-Grafs-blackpowder

fouronesix
06-27-2015, 10:29 PM
The internet is an amazing tool. Simply go to the Graf and Powder Inc websites, check on the BP types available, do the math (not really higher math) for delivery to the door. Presto price check.

LAGS
06-28-2015, 02:00 AM
First off,
Where the Fug can You even find BP locally.
The stuff I still have is stuff I brought from California 20 years ago, and have never been able to get my hands on any in Arizona since I have been here.
I just cant see paying the shipping and Has Mat fees.
And I am never home to receive the delivery.
But the ones who do carry it around here, never have any so it is Pyrodex or nothing.
I am also not able to be somewhere to wait in line for a delivery.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am Old school, and like the real stuff when I have it.

JeffinNZ
06-28-2015, 04:39 AM
USD45.00lb for Swiss..........if it is available........which it is not.

Gar
06-28-2015, 10:23 AM
First off,
Where the Fug can You even find BP locally.
The stuff I still have is stuff I brought from California 20 years ago, and have never been able to get my hands on any in Arizona since I have been here.
I just cant see paying the shipping and Has Mat fees.
And I am never home to receive the delivery.
But the ones who do carry it around here, never have any so it is Pyrodex or nothing.
I am also not able to be somewhere to wait in line for a delivery.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am Old school, and like the real stuff when I have it.

LAGS, Thunderbird Cartridge Company in Buckeye sells it.
I just mail order it from Graf's, it's cheaper and easier for me.

KenH
07-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Interesting thing showing difference in price of powder (Black that is) - yesterday I went to Basspro and got a lb of GOEX fffg for $29/lb, but they didn't have #10 percussion caps. Salesman suggest I got by another place (local gun shop on the way home) that had a BIG Black Powder section for the #10 caps. Got there, and GOEX fffg there was $20/lb, so I got another lb.

Just shows how much prices can vary in the same area.

Geezer in NH
07-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I buy from the Maine powder house. pay the less than $30 hazmat fee get it delivered to my door. forte price per pound and no travel.

When I want to get it local I drive to the Maine powder house it is a 90 mile round trip. However we stop for a Stupendous seafood dinner on the way.

Don't spend money on gas get it delivered to your door.

I never buy less than 25 pounds, but want less amount pay for it. Shooting BP for years it appears BP shooters are still the cheapest ones I have ever dealt with.