PDA

View Full Version : It's Been 1 Year

Ken in Iowa
06-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Since I have worked...

I have been fighting cancer for many years. The drugs were taking a toll with fatigue and 'chemo-brain.'

Things came to a head last June. I just couldn't work any more.

We knew that My condition automatically qualified for social security disability. It was just a matter of time to make the transition, 6 months to be exact.

I played my cards well during this time. My employer treated me very well all things considered.

Now that the deed is done, I still find myself trying to get used to things. My energy level is still low. At least I can do what I want with the energy I have.

lightman
06-16-2015, 09:12 AM
It sounds like you have a good attitude and are dealing with the situation well. You may have seen some of my post recently, but I was diagnosed with MS and also had to quit working. I'm still getting used to not working in lousy weather, the late night and weekend (what are those?) phone calls and being wet or cold all day or night.

Wishing you the best in your recovery. Go and do some of the things that you could not do while working.

country gent
06-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Do what you can do, Take your time and think things thru you may still do the same things just not the same way as before. Friends with the same intrest can be a big help and are also darn comforting. The big thing is to never give up or give in to this. Fight it and dont let it win. Do all you can as you can safely. Mindset is alot here and with the right mindset alot is doable. Dont just sit and watch time pass. If you have kids or grandchildren now is the time to take them fishing camping ( even if its just the back yard) shooting. Spend time with family and friends enjoy the days and stay as busy as you want to. I was diagnosed with Multiple Schlrocis in 2002 worked up to 2011 with it and finally went onto disability. I still do alot and enjoy my days but like I said I dont always do things the same way as before. I have a little wagon garden cart now, Things I used to carry to and from now get rolled around on the wagon. I sit more casting and loading. Off hand stages I shoot from the waist up sitting on a stool for the added stability due to balance issues. I can no longer walk to 200 yds but friends and club members are more than willing to post targets for me when they go down to do thiers. If you decide you need someone to talk to chat with PM me Im more than willing to help and offer pointer if I can.

Ken in Iowa
06-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your replies gentlemen. You certainly are in the same boat as I.

My father introduced me to cowboy action 10 years back. We are trying to get to as many matches as possible this season. Dad is 89 and still shooting. I take him to cowboy shoots and my step brother to IPSC.

Our local cowboy clubs are great. Great fun, friends, help (both ways) and social interaction.

There is no shortage of things to do, just energy to do it. I believe my family is starting to get the idea. I don't get the comments like I was last year...

jonp
06-16-2015, 08:11 PM
It doesn't take a lot of energy to sit at the bench and load up a few rounds or just generally fiddle with brass. I have a futon/couch in my loading room. Take a nap in between but don't give up your passion.

Mod42
06-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Make the best of every day, and be happy for what you have! I understand what you are feeling, I have renal cell cancer. Took out one kidney two years ago, and tumors moved to my lungs a year ago. My chemo treatments leave me very tired, short of breath, and food tastes awful. Still working because it is one piece that helps me keep my sanity, and my job is not physical. I have found a whole new world now that things have slowed down for me, and I do appreciate what I have. Our life is good or bad based upon how we choose to deal with the things that we do not want.
I choose to be happy for what I have, rather than being unhappy that I do not have what I want. Some times it is hard when I am having a "bad day", but it makes a big difference in how I feel at the end of the day!

God Bless :grin:

Hogtamer
06-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Wow! All you guys have such great outlooks and attitudes. Thank you and may God bless each one of you in a special way.

MaryB
06-16-2015, 10:26 PM
I was forced into retirement in 2006 by a torn up back and torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. Took me awhile to settle into doing things and as everyone said. Do what you want when you want! If tired take a nap!

I had a car accident Nov 2013 that added to my injuries by messing up my neck, I am still doing what I can, I garden(use a cart too!), bench rest shoot, this fall I should be able to get into the woods for squirrels again...

Giving up is not part of my vocabulary!

Freightman
06-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Forced into retirement in 1993 nothing as serious as you, Go to the range as much as possible, get involved with the family stay busy, to wear out beats rust out. Always depend on God never give up. Join us in Chat we have fun.

Blacksmith
06-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Get trigger jobs on all your firearms so they will take less effort to shoot then you can shoot more. Keep your chin up.

crazy mark
06-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Been dealing with Melanoma that settled on my right lung in 2012. Had surgery and 1 year of interferon. in 2014 it came back and another surgery. 2015 back again and surgery but too many tumors to remove. Now on Ipilibumab and Leukine. One more infusion the 30th and then in 3-4 weeks a CT scan to see if it worked. I know the tired feeling and hate to see somebody else dealing with cancer. I do stuff as I have to keep busy. Do take a lot more naps however. Keep the faith.