PDA

View Full Version : windows 10

shaper
06-15-2015, 07:48 PM
I just got one of my computers out o the shop (AGAIN) today and have another to go in next week. The man in the shop told me windows 10 will be out next month and I will be in line for a upgrade to it. Anyone know anything about windows 10? I want my XP back. I still have it on my lap top and it is running just fine.

lancem
06-15-2015, 08:23 PM
If you like XP, then you probably don't like Windows 8, you are going to hate 10. If I were you I would see if I could still buy 7 and load it on your computer. Check this out, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10 there isn't one thing they are doing in 10 that I need or want, I really hate pushed updates as it's my computer and I'll decide what gets updated on it. Too many times in the past I've had Windows updates mess up other software I am using, Microsofts stance is too bad you should be using a Microsoft product, don't think so...

bangerjim
06-15-2015, 08:42 PM
If you are only running XP "fine" on your machine, you will never be able to run 7, let alone 10. Everything is 64 bit = new drivers, no printer support (I just thew away 5 HP color printers because 7 / HP did not support them at all.

Most of the software you may like in XP may not even run on 7 or higher.

Total hardware upgrade required going from an XP machine. Most old XP machines are not even capable of that severe of an upgrade!

And 7 and newer takes a high speed front end buss and tons of FAST memory. I would never attempt to use an antique XP machine to run 7 or beyond. The resources are just not there. And if it will even load, speed would be horribly s----l-----o---------w.

Stay with your old laptop and XP if it does what you need. I also threw an old Toshiba laptop running XP!!!!!! Just part of moving ahead with technology. Computers are dirt cheap today. Why try to keep old clunkers running????

That is my view from a businessman's prospective.

BTW.......my office computers boot from cold into Win 7 ultimate in 10-15 seconds due all the above mentioned firmware, max fast RAM, and 500G SSD's. I am a computer speed junkie! 70+M internet connections.

My several computers do not go to the shop......they go to the dump when they cause problems. Not worth the $$ to mess with them.

"I do not wait in lines or on computers."

bangerjim

tryNto
06-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Support for 7 will be ending before you know it.

End of extended support January 14, 2020

dkf
06-15-2015, 10:46 PM
I have a computer with XP Pro and one with Win 7. Windows 10 should be XP and fix any bugs they overlooked. Microsoft is a **** company with pretty crappy products but in my industry the machinery runs the OS now. So I am screwed.

smokeywolf
06-15-2015, 11:51 PM
My problem with upgrading from XP was not the cost of the new hardware, but the cost of upgrading my release of AutoCAD

khmer6
06-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Windows 8.1 is fantastic. Rdp support from my.mobile devices is seamless. Server 2012 on the other hand I do not like tiles on that. I have mix feelings about Windows 10 but I'll upgrade a few in my enterprise to begin with. Been running the test version and wasn't real impressed with the UI. Windows 8 was very stable and the UI was decent. All the hatters out there are just reciting an article or two they read

BulletFactory
06-16-2015, 12:14 AM
If it aint broke...

shaper
06-16-2015, 07:41 AM
The computer I had in the shop and the one that needs to go in, both have 7 on them. Both are froze. Even the defrag will not work. When I got it home yesterday I could not send a email because my contacts are in ,My Documents, and will not go to the address book. I'll work on it some today. If I can't get it to move I'll take it back to the shop. The prime reason I am keeping the lap top is because of the pictures I have stored on it. There are over 4000 pictures. A good many of them are of our grand daughter that passed away Jan. 1 2005. She was 11 years old. I have them backed up onto one of those memory sticks but still don't want to take the chance of losing even one of them.

cajun shooter
06-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Shaper, If I was you, I would take your PC back to the shop and request that your hard drive be downloaded to disc. You may tell them what you want to save. When it comes to pics that are very dear to you and your family, have someone help or teach you how to download them to disc every so often.
A lot of users make at least two copies to store in different locations so that they have the feeling of security for things that can't be replaced. Take Care

Moonie
06-16-2015, 09:18 AM
I've been running windows 10 beta in a virtual machine for months, it isn't bad. Seems about the same as 8.1, some things are a little different. One of the things I don't like about 8.1 is the lack of a real start menu, but I fix that with classic shell.

GhostHawk
06-16-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm an old die hard desktop kind of guy. Was a hard core gamer for years. Laptops simply couldn't do the job as well, couldn't ever cool as well.

Well I'm on Social Security now, most of the high end gaming is 5 years in my past.
I've built my own systems for years but the last one was 5 years ago. And they keep getting more complicated.
Just sorting out which chipset will do what I want it to do can be a major pain.

Wife tried one of those Galaxy Android Pads, price is right, works pretty well, lets you read ebooks, watch video's, etc.

But it wasn't windows, far from it.

Was looking at convertable laptops one day. Screen lifts off and turns into a pad.
Asus makes one that has a USB 3 port on the keyboard. Potentials roll through my head. But I put it on hold.

Two weeks later my wife lets me know that the older version of the one I was looking at just went on sale for 230$ new.

Don't think it has the 500 gig hard drive in the keyboard. Little less ram, but it still had the USB 3 port. So I buy it.
I had it 2 days and my wife bought the mate to it, gave her galaxy pad to her daughter.

It pretty much does everything the one in the basement does. It is a bit of a wifi hog, so we bought a 20$ Netgear router plugged it into the lan and feeds more than enough for my wife and I to both be downloading video's while watching a show on Amazon's Firestick (which also runs on wifi)

It is 1/3 the cost of a new desktop. A year or 2 from now when the newer version drops in price I will buy it mostly for the storage. I have a 7 port self powered hub plugged into the USB port, USB hub has a Microsoft wired mouse, a phone charger, and a handy little adapter that lets me plug in any standard SATA device, hard drive, cd, DVD.

It all works pretty much exactly the way I thought it would, for 230$. I can buy one every year for 3 years and still be money ahead.

Not saying everyone should give up their desktops. Just saying it is an option you might want to look into.

USB to SATA Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=usb%203.0%20sata%20ad apter&Submit=ENE

Convertable Laptop, I see sale price is gone, is now 250$
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC06K3G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Of course the best part of the whole works is that once we got the wifi fixed we are able to use my old desktop as storage and pull what we want from it via wifi. So thousands of MP3's, ten's of thousands of Ebooks, use your imagination.
Life is good. Don't think I'm interested in win 10 though. Win 8 isn't so bad if you spent a few years in Win 7.

Mostly a matter of learning where they hide things and making a few shortcuts.
Like one from your hard drive to the desktop.

chris112
06-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Last time I talked to someone about a new computer, my first question was how hard is it to take windows off and put some version of Linux on? That just about say everything I think about windows (any version).

bangerjim
06-16-2015, 09:46 AM
The computer I had in the shop and the one that needs to go in, both have 7 on them. Both are froze. Even the defrag will not work. When I got it home yesterday I could not send a email because my contacts are in ,My Documents, and will not go to the address book. I'll work on it some today. If I can't get it to move I'll take it back to the shop. The prime reason I am keeping the lap top is because of the pictures I have stored on it. There are over 4000 pictures. A good many of them are of our grand daughter that passed away Jan. 1 2005. She was 11 years old. I have them backed up onto one of those memory sticks but still don't want to take the chance of losing even one of them.

For things like those pictures, I to a tertiary back-up.......1 on a memory stick, one on an external USB HD, and one burned on a data DVD. Stored in different fire-safe locations!

banger

dkf
06-16-2015, 10:02 AM
My problem with upgrading from XP was not the cost of the new hardware, but the cost of upgrading my release of AutoCAD

I am over due to upgrade my Autocad too. Though it still runs on 7 fine.

TCFAN
06-16-2015, 10:21 AM
My wife's lap top is Windows 8 and I hate it.My old desk top is Vista and I get along with it just fine. It works good for everything I do...............Terry

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-16-2015, 10:40 AM
During the 20+ hours that I spend yesterday trying to resolve my 8.1 issues, (posted in another thread). I stumbled onto many articles about 10 (Forbes, PC mag, and others), as I was considering signing up to be a Beta for 10 to maybe resolve my issues...I did NOT.

ANYWAY, one thing I repeated read, that was disconcerting. 10 will update automatically (no choice to postpone or deny), they indicate it will be about once every 4 months, you will have no choice...you don't have an option for "ask before update" (or what ever the proper terminology is?). You can't deny a upgrade.

So everyone is the Beta for a upgrade...or at least those who will receive the upgrade in the first "wave" as they won't upgrade everyone on the same day. you will have no choice in what "wave" you will be in, infact the waves may be randomized.

They say, this will be the last version. MS says it will be free to upgrade to for the first year. Some are speculating that in year two or year three, they will introduce annual fees...Now MS didn't say that, that was speculation...but it seems to fit in, just like some other software contracts.
good luck.

smokeywolf
06-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I use flash drives and USB hard drives for backup. I'm running Win 7 on one machine and just bought another laptop that came with Win 8.1. Not so crazy about 8.1 because the GUI is designed more for a touch screen than conventional input devices.
I still sometimes miss Windows 3.11, aka "Windows for Work Groups".

jakharath
06-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Guys, from a security point of view you do not want to be running XP. Microsoft has dropped support and is no longer doing security patches.

For 8.x try using classicshell. It gives you your start bar/menu back. It's free and works great. Have it running on my 8.x boxes as well as server 2012 machines.

http://www.classicshell.net

williamwaco
06-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Guys, from a security point of view you do not want to be running XP. Microsoft has dropped support and is no longer doing security patches.

For 8.x try using classicshell. It gives you your start bar/menu back. It's free and works great. Have it running on my 8.x boxes as well as server 2012 machines.

+1, +1, +1 +1 On Classic Shell.

Oh, by the way. Did I mention, I really like Classic Shell.

MaryB
06-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Think I have the 3.11 floppies still...

I use flash drives and USB hard drives for backup. I'm running Win 7 on one machine and just bought another laptop that came with Win 8.1. Not so crazy about 8.1 because the GUI is designed more for a touch screen than conventional input devices.
I still sometimes miss Windows 3.11, aka "Windows for Work Groups".

MaryB
06-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Ehh both router and DSL modem have a firewall, I run Comodo firewall on the computer along with Avast... XP is pretty bullet proof as it sits right now.

9w1911
06-16-2015, 11:53 PM
where did Win9 go?
I guess 10 was so dawg gone nice they skipped 9.
LOL

khmer6
06-17-2015, 01:34 AM
If you need to save your old machine just disk2vhd it or use vmware to make it virtualize. Sandbox it and call it good :-)

tryNto
06-17-2015, 03:34 AM
Think I have the 3.11 floppies still...

Same here, Also Win 95, Win 98, XP Home, XP Pro, although not on floppies...

Tackleberry41
06-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Guess I will have the little 'upgrade to windows 10' down at the bottom of my computer forever. Showed up one day, doesn't seem to be any way to make it go away, short of upgrading. If microsoft actually made things better it would be one thing. But that seldom seems to be the case, usually just about selling you a new product, which of course means upgrading everything else you have. Hate to think about how many programs I have tossed when they wouldn't work on a new OS. Quit using MS word as the copy I had needed upgrading to work, where open office is free. Its a word processor a pretty simple thing to pay the money microsoft wants.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-17-2015, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=lancem;3282602]If you like XP, then you probably don't like Windows 8, you are going to hate 10. If I were you I would see if I could still buy 7 and load it on your computer. QUOTE]

That is what I did when I bought a laptop which came with Windows 8. They had changed too much in the way it operates, for my liking. I chose the now defunct option of traditional Windows view, too. I use some old programs, including Word 2003 and Picture Publisher, which was closed down and support ceased when Micrografx was bought out by Adobe. There is a compatability mode which permits the installation and use, not of all old software, but most of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer

A useful accessory if you change from one computer (Vista onwards) to another is an Easy Transfer cable. This is just a USB to USB cable with a lump in the middle, but its use will open Windows Easy Transfer, and copy not only documents but your settings, bookmarks etc. from one computer to the other. I also have an alternative USB link cable with a lump at one end, which installs its own software and permits cutting and pasting of individual files and documents. The cable isn't supported by Windows 8, but the program and other media are.

Importing downloaded mail is one thing I have always detested with a new computer. But this has got quite a bit easier with Windows Live Mail. You simply export your storage folders to media, and on your new computer import them from the media.

smokeywolf
06-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Little off subject here, but does anyone have experience moving jpeg files from computer to iPhone 5 or 6 without doing it through iTunes?

imashooter2
06-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Air Drop via bluetooth should work and dongles are dirt cheap if your computer doesn't have it built in. I set up personal cloud storage (WD My Cloud) and use that to move files. It's nice since my phone has limited storage and I can just leave everything on my cloud and access them from anywhere I can get service.

jonp
06-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Shaper, If I was you, I would take your PC back to the shop and request that your hard drive be downloaded to disc. You may tell them what you want to save. When it comes to pics that are very dear to you and your family, have someone help or teach you how to download them to disc every so often.
A lot of users make at least two copies to store in different locations so that they have the feeling of security for things that can't be replaced. Take Care
Get a disc copy, email copies to yourself and consider a cloud service like dropbox or something.