PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Shooting Muffs revisited OT

kywoodwrkr
10-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Harbor freight has the $19.99 muffs on sale for $14.99.
Item 92851-1VGA.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92851
Local store had told me they were 'discontinued'. ??
FWIW
DaveP

Buckshot
10-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Harbor freight has the $19.99 muffs on sale for $14.99.
Item 92851-1VGA.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92851
Local store had told me they were 'discontinued'. ??
FWIW
DaveP

Someone I know bought a set a few months ago and said they work as advertised.

.............Buckshot

Bent Ramrod
10-06-2005, 02:34 AM
I got a set a couple months back (they were about $27 then) and they seem to work just fine. If you leave the batteries in, they tend to get some kind of oxidation on them at the contact points, but a scuff with some sandpaper gets them running again.

Nice to be able to carry on a conversation or hear range commands without the inevitable "Eh??"

imashooter2
10-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Bought 2 sets so a bud and I could share shipping and their "handling" charge. They are a bit over a year old. Mine still work fine, his on/off/volume switch stopped working about the third or forth use. He has to take the back off and screw with the contacts every time he uses them.

Ed Barrett
10-06-2005, 09:58 AM
I bought two sets at the 19.95 price, one for me and one for my wife about a year ago still on the first set of batteries. I really like being able to talk at the range. They are not fancy and they are not stereo, but they are not $100 plus either. The harbor freight store in Kansas City has never stocked them, I'm going to buy some more for Christmas gifts if they dropped the price again..

drinks
10-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I got 2 on sale, disconnected the crossover wiring and put both active ear muffs on one headband, I now have stereo for $30. ;D

kywoodwrkr
10-06-2005, 01:33 PM
I forgot to say that I took two pair of them to a friend I was to meet at a local gun show last weekend.
Was discussing them with a fellow at the show and he wanted to see them.
I showed him a pair, he put them on and immediately looked up and said "there's a radio on somewhere!". "I'm hearing a radio."
I thought maybe he was picking up interference within the building.
I put them on and what he was hearing was a conversation taking place across the auditorium!
He was also hard of hearing.
After he realized what he was hearing he was sold on them at any price!
I bought four pair for some young(6-9) shooters in the family.
Figure they will be more inclined to use 'modern' muffs versus the plugs or a cigarette filter! :-)
DaveP

Poygan
10-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I've been thinking about getting some electronic muffs. Saw this post and called the local Harbor Freight. They had them in stock for $19.99 but if I brought in a copy of the web site sale, they would honor the $5 reduction. I now have two sets.