PDA

View Full Version : I'm Hooked

gl1800
03-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, the subject says it all. I've been lurking for quite some time and decided to give casting a try. Been collecting WW's and recently completed my first smelting session. Had a bucket and a half of clean WW's which smelted down to around 86 muffin sized ingots. Following what i've been reading here, everything turned out just great. All of the information you folks so freely share is very much appreciated.

All that said, I'm getting ready to buy a Lee 20# bottom pour pot and to start off with, a Lee 6 cavity tumble lube mould for 38/357 in .358 to cast 158gr SWC. I plan on continuing to use LLAlox and am curious if I need to size these when done or load as cast?

Pics below are of my first session. I was anxious to get started and didn't have a laddle so I made one out of a piece of 2x4, a 6" carriage bolt, and half a soup can. My homemade laddle actually worked great. Thanks again for a great site/forum and all of the information.

Regards,
Richard

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/trimadge/Smelting-Lead-09Small.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/trimadge/Smelting-Lead-01Small.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/trimadge/Smelting-Lead-03Small.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/trimadge/Smelting-Lead-05Small.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/trimadge/Smelting-Lead-08Small.jpg

lathesmith
03-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello, it looks like you are off to a great start gl. After 25 years of casting, I am still hooked. I have just refined my toys a bit with things like Star sizers and 6-cavitiy molds to speed things up a bit. I also have a Lee 20 lb pot, and really like it. I think it will be a good investment, and will make casting easier for you.
The idea behind tumble lube bullets is to use them as-cast, with a coating of Lee liquid alox. So, forget the sizer for these and just enjoy casting, lubing and shooting them.
lathesmith

gl1800
03-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you think of anything else I may need to buy to get me started with casting? I recall reading something about Bullplate??

Thanks,
Richard

fishhawk
03-22-2008, 06:28 PM
well i can think of one thing, MORE WHEEL WEIGHTS! once you get going you will be shocked how fast they go.

IcerUSA
03-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I would get some Bull Plate Lube from Bullshop in the links at the bottom of the page if your going with Lee's aluminum moulds , I would also suggest the 6 cavity mould also.
Slug the throats and the bore just to make sure of the dims and then mic up the boolits and if they are .001 - .002 oversize your good to go without sizing , just TL and load them suckers up . :)
Also a hearty welcome to ya.

Keith

gl1800
03-22-2008, 06:38 PM
My wife keeps asking when I'm going to start "SAVING" money with my shooting. [smilie=1:

Not sure how to answer this one yet. Any suggestions?

Alchemist
03-22-2008, 06:40 PM
gl1800,

One thing about casters, improvisation is common. If it works, it's okay. My stiring/fluxing tool is a piece of dowel split with a saw about 1", with a baby spoon wedged into the cut and tightened with a piece of coathanger twisted around it. Started casting with it in 1982, and have never gotten around to getting something else. [smilie=1: Your ladle will probably see considerable use before you go on to something else.

Now you'll be on the lookout for any tidbit of lead...WWs in the gutter, a piece of lead pipe where they're tearing down an old building, bugging they guys at the tire shop, well you get the idea...it's a sickness! But what an affliction to have, being in control of your own boolit supply!

As far as your casting equipment needs go, you'll accumulate it as you get into it more. TL bullet mould and Lee LA means no sizer needed for now...you will however need more primers, powder, WWs and time!

Cheers! :drinks:
Alchemist

Alchemist
03-22-2008, 06:46 PM
My wife keeps asking when I'm going to start "SAVING" money with my shooting. [smilie=1:

Not sure how to answer this one yet. Any suggestions?

Show her the price of comparable factory loads, the cost per box of your loads and take her to dinner with the difference of about 5 boxes of ammo...my bet is you can take her someplace pretty nice, and she'll start accepting the idea. Then take her shooting with you.

Cheers

gl1800
03-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Show her the price of comparable factory loads, the cost per box of your loads and take her to dinner with the difference of about 5 boxes of ammo...my bet is you can take her someplace pretty nice, and she'll start accepting the idea. Then take her shooting with you.

Cheers

Good idea.

I was paying about .22 each for factory(Walmart WhiteBox) .45's. Started reloading w/plated's and they dropped to about .11 each. If my calculations are correct, I can get them down to about .3 or .4 each by casting my own. With the plated .45's going from $85 per 1k to almost $130 per 1k, casting my own is the only way I can afford to keep shooting at my current rate.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Richard

gl1800
03-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I would get some Bull Plate Lube from Bullshop in the links at the bottom of the page if your going with Lee's aluminum moulds , I would also suggest the 6 cavity mould also.
Slug the throats and the bore just to make sure of the dims and then mic up the boolits and if they are .001 - .002 oversize your good to go without sizing , just TL and load them suckers up . :)
Also a hearty welcome to ya.

Keith

I see they sell in 2oz sizes. How much should I order? Does a little go a LONG way?

Thanks,
Richard

lathesmith
03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
gl, I think you are well on your way. To be honest, at the moment I think you have things pretty well covered. I would use your big setup there to do your smelting to get the nice clean ingots. Then, use the Lee 20 pounder for actual bullet casting. Go for the six cavity molds, don't bother with the 2 cavity unless you need one for a special bullet design. I personally haven't tried the bull plate lube, but those here who have used it give it high praise. I just use a combination of spray graphite and 50/50 alox bullet lube, but whatever you use just be sure and keep that sprue plate lubed. It makes things go a whole lot better. And yes, 2oz of bull plate should last you quite a long time, I would think.
lathesmith

Buckshot
03-23-2008, 02:47 AM
I see they sell in 2oz sizes. How much should I order? Does a little go a LONG way?

Thanks,
Richard

..............Richard, yes it does. You may use more then you need to at first, but you'll get it figured out pretty quick. If you're gonna order a bottle, order 2. That way if you knock one over you'll have another. Or even better, if you have a casting buddy you can become a hero by letting him try some.

Looks like you have a pretty good setup going there. I can't see anything else you need so far as equipment goes. However it appears all your operations require a lot of bending over or stooping. It's very tiring, isn't good for your back and you could trip over something. If you cannot raise the burner for the furnace in a VERY sturdy and secure manner, then don't.

However usining 2x4's you can construct a very stable table to hold the muffin tins. I'd go at least 2x3 feet. Cover the top with sheet metal if possible or cheap concrete garden pavers.

................Buckshot