PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL358-158-2R Experience?

PBSmith
06-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Considering for 38 Spec and slo 357 Mag revolvers. Will appreciate input from those of you who have experience casting, loading and shooting this number.

Lee claims their Micro Band bullets are "More accurate than ordinary cast bullets." True or false?

My alternative at this time is the 158 RN by RCBS. I understand this bullet form and weight never won favor among law enforcement and hunting people. I'll use it mainly for plinking paper and such, but nonetheless want an accurate bullet.

Thanks. Look forward to your comments.

williamwaco
06-14-2015, 03:13 PM
I have used several of the micro band bullets, including the 358158 SWC. I have never used a round nose of any kind except for the 9mm factory loads. They are especially unsuitable for paper because the holes are indistinct.

As for accuracy, there is no difference. I have used them in 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .41, and .44. There is no inherent difference in accuracy.

tazman
06-14-2015, 06:03 PM
I have used the Lee micro band semi wadcutter for quite a while and find it very accurate. They drop from my mold at a size such that I don't even need to resize them prior to loading. I lube them with White Label X-lox.
I also use Lee's 358-158-Rf boolit and find it very accurate as well although I have to size those before loading. I have used the round nose you mentioned in the past and found it accurate but since it wasn't any more useful than the others I have, I stopped using it.
Lee's wadcutter boolits also worked well for me.

fecmech
06-14-2015, 08:09 PM
I have both the TLSWC and TLRN Lee bullets and have done quite a bit of shooting with the SWC version. I bought the RN because I thought it might be less wind sensitive at 200 yds due to Lee listing a higher BC for it. After shooting both to that range with the same powder charge there is no difference in elevation on the target so in my mind no difference in BC. Accuracy is essentially the same with a slight edge going to the SWC in all my guns. The TLSWC is a very accurate and unfussy bullet IMO. It does very well with .38 level loads (800-1000 fps pistol and 1100-1300 rifle) but for me not great at magnum pistol or rifle velocities. It doesn't lead, just not real accurate, YMMV. If you want it you can have my 6 Cav RN version for $30. TYD as I don't use it.

GhostHawk
06-14-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm shooting mine in a .357 Handi Rifle. It has put 3 rounds in one hole at 50 so the potential for accuracy is there in my opinion.

I don't have another Lee Mold in that size so I really could not venture an opinion on more accurate or not. The one I have works, is simple and fun to cast with, bullets fly right out of the mold. I've been shooting them as cast with no problems.
At this point it isn't so much what the rifle or bullet is capable of, more about if I can hold on the same place with the same breathing, trigger pull.

Budzilla 19
06-14-2015, 10:26 PM
I have the Lee 358-158 SWC 6 cavity mold, throws great boolits, gas check design, sure works for me in 38 special plinking loads and some that are a little stouter! Cut good holes in targets, and anything I ever shot with it went down in one shot! ( cotton tails are not real tough where I live, hahaha)I use the TL design in 40 S&W and 45 ACP boolits and they shoot wonderful! Shoot em and try em! You will know what works for your gun immediately. As previously stated, they are fun to cast with! Good shooting to you.

hithard
06-14-2015, 10:31 PM
358-158 Don't have the TL version, 358-158 mold has been throwing them out for a number of years now and is still working just fine. count wise I think it's done over 7k, surely there is someone that has done more out of one of these.

They do shoot really good for me, pistol or rifle.

mwc
06-14-2015, 11:33 PM
I have usedthat same RN 158 TL for years, I like the round nose as it speed loads very well for me using moonclips in my 627.

Landshark9025
06-16-2015, 05:48 AM
I had the TL 358-158. Did not go well. Sized the same as my 358-140 SWC and I got terrible leading in my Mod 66 using Hi-Tek coating. Also got leading using 45-45-10 just not as bad. YMMV. I had also read a thread where the TL boolit in 124g was known to cause this issue.

Like everything else, may work for some, not for others. I am one of the "others".