PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Success w cast bullets from a Taurus 85

jklein_1968
03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Had a nice time out on the range got to shoot some Lee 358-158 semi wad cutters. The dropped from my mold at .359 to .360. I was concerned that they maybe a bit to fat.

I made a dummy round with one and had no problems loading in the cylinder of the 38 special my daughter and I share at the range.

I lubed using JPW as described in the great threads here. I loaded the pb projectiles up under 4 grains of universal and we went to the range. I brought 50 to try I got to shoot 12 rounds before my 12 year old daughter takes over and shoots the rest. Performance was good and she said she could tell no difference between the ones baked at home and the Oregon Trails lazer cut we have been using. :Fire:

Thanks to all you guys for sharing your experience and making possible a great afternoon. :-D

cbrick
03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
jklein,

"A" afternoon? There will many, many such days now that ya know how. You are now stuck in a very addictive habit, no going back now.

Welcome to Castboolits and thank you very much for your service to our great country.

Rick

jklein_1968
03-22-2008, 10:46 PM
jklein,

"A" afternoon? There will many, many such days now that ya know how. You are now stuck in a very addictive habit, no going back now.

Welcome to Castboolits and thank you very much for your service to our great country.

Rick

It sure does mean a lot for a Vet to hear thank you. When I'm at the Veterans Hospital, I like to sit and visit in the cafeteria and let our Vietnam and Korean vets know they are appreciated.

nicholst55
03-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I enjoy shooting my Taurus 85CH a lot, too. It's an extremely accurate little revolver, for what it is. I could give a bad guy a serious case of indigestion with it, anywhere out to about 15 yards! The short barrel and DAO kind of limit the effective range.

Crash_Corrigan
03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Don'tha go downtalking a taurus 85. I have an ultralight model and with the right handloads she is a sweet shootin baby.

I had my pastor and his son up to the range one day. We were shooting our Ruger BH's in .38 spcl. Mine a 4 5/8 and his a 6 incher. His son came along and wanted to try it out. We fit him up with my little 2" bbl Taurus and he was popping the 12" gong a 40 yds right along with us and out longer legged revolters.

I have heard a lot of trash talking about Taurus but I predict that they will be the biggest gun manufacturer in the world within 10 years. They make a fine product at an affordable price. The 1911 is a prime example of what modern methods can do if use properly. For about 550 of so Yankee dollars you have a fine shootin iron.

Mine came with a 4 lb trigger and now 6,000 rounds later is at 3.25# and breaks like glass. The finish is wearing down fast but I do not care as the gun is not a fashion model but a working tool.