PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch: kit or separates?

Bangbangman
06-13-2015, 04:55 AM
Hello all, I'm about to start casting, having been a home loader for many years.

Initially, I'm looking to cast a large meplat, +450gr gas-checked bullet for hunting with my 45-70 Marlin Cowboy. Target bullets may follow. Later want to cast for my Marlin .357mag and .45Colt Cowboy. I may experiment with casting a long, heavy-for calibre boolit for my .357 Ruger SuperRedhawk (not a common gun in America, I believe) for long range pistol comps. Shotgun slug, shot and other calibres remain a distant prospect (though the price of 12g slug rounds is making this look more and more appealing.)

Mountain Molds will be doing the mold for my .462 boolit, which I'll size to .461, however, I have NO other equipment.

I'm on a pretty tight budget but have a birthday this month :D; family could club together and buy the Lyman Master Casting Kit, which would be a simple way of getting most of the kit. But perhaps that is an unnecessarily expensive way of doing it and maybe a compromise, too. I've already got, and read, the Lyman manual.

Bear in mind that here in the UK I may not have the variety of products available to those in the USA.

I also still need to source custom sizing die (that can crimp Gator Gas checks) that can be shipped to the UK. Buckshot, of this parish, has been mentioned so I've PM'd him.

So what would you do, starting from scratch, knowing what you now know?

JSnover
06-13-2015, 05:33 AM
I think if I were to start over again I'd buy a kit to get started. You can always add to it or trade up.
There was a thread a few years ago, addressing basic equipment. By the time everyone weighed in with "must have" equipment for new casters the list was pretty extensive. For now, keep it simple.

NC_JEFF
06-13-2015, 07:45 AM
I pieced mine together over a period of time, still at it as of now. I scrounge for good deals on what I want to use. I love the process of accumulating my own kit. I'll purchase a ladle commercially because that's one piece I've never come across while casually looking. I'm keeping my casting sorta simple, dutch oven for smelting, muffin pans for ingots, inexpensive 2 boolit molds bought used from this site, wheel weights I traded for and powder cost for lube. I am only casting plinker and target boolits so I don't need gas checks. I'm still looking for a burner and I'll be pouring ingots shortly thereafter. I want to thank Cast Boolits for being here as I would never have tried this without this site and Bangbangman I recommend this place to you as the greatest source for your casting endeavors. Be safe.
JD

1_Ogre
06-13-2015, 08:10 AM
If your on a budget, I would say the kit is the way to go. You save a lot of money getting it all at once. Some of the stuff you won't probably use, but them money you save on the over all stuff is worth it

Taylor
06-13-2015, 08:18 AM
I agree,a kit would be it.You get everything and at a cheaper price.I'm a little picky about some things,but yeah,a kit.then you can sort later for yourself.

Garyshome
06-13-2015, 08:30 AM
I use the Lee #20 bottom pour. Works well for me. I pieced my set up all together. Nothing like learning on the fly!

GhostHawk
06-13-2015, 08:40 AM
I cast for years with just a cast iron 6" fry pan and a Lyman Ladle.

I did some time this last year invest in a Lee Ladle pot, used, seemed a good price and lets me cast more often.

I have it setup on its own fireproof table next to my computer and reloading bench. Anyone else like me like to listen to something like Hickock45 radio show while your casting?

Good tools are important, but when you are just starting it is hard to know what is really needed.

cajun shooter
06-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Kits are going to be much less than purchasing the pieces by themselves but another even cheaper way is to go to garage sales, estate sells and look at local ads. Used equipment from a well known vendor is just as good as new and may be purchased for half the price of new.
This way does take time so it's up to you on which route to take. Later David

JSnover
06-13-2015, 09:22 AM
It depends on when you want to start. Buy the kit today, you can start casting by sundown.
Set up bit-by-bit… might take a while to accumulate all of the necessary bits.

runfiverun
06-13-2015, 09:36 AM
I focus on each step and target the equipment needed to complete that task.
melting and cleaning the lead.
casting the boolits. [melting pot and mold]
sizing/lubing and gas checking.

break each step down and look at how the various equipment is put together and how it will work for me err you.

the lyman kit is fine for the sizing/lubing set-up.
but not so good on the casting end.
much like a LEE reloading kit has most of the basics to get started, but lacks a good scale and has no calipers.
[so your gonna have to add on to the basic kit]

country gent
06-13-2015, 10:59 AM
As has been stated above the kit has most of what you need to get started. extras can always be added later on as the hobby grows. You can start simple and easy casting bullets with a camp stove, turkey frier stand and burner, or a propane grill burner, even a single burner propane hot plate works for the heat source. A cast iron or steel pot of he appropriate size is fine. A ladle thermometer ( bend up a simple wire mount for it) a supply of old hand towels ( to drop bullets on) A paint roller tray makes a nice area to drop bullets. I use one and pad it with 5-6 hand towels when the bullets are filling pick up top towel by all four corners and set aside next towel is right there waiting. The big addition to the casting kits is the personel saftey gear. An apron, saftey glasses, and heavy leather gloves. Wear heahy pants long sleeved shirt and heavy shoes. The saftey gear is the really important end of this.

Walter Laich
06-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Depends:
If you have someone to help you learn, a fellow caster, then you might be better off doing it piecemeal and just getting exactly what you need and want.
If you're going it alone then a kit is the way to go. Since you are a fellow cowboy shooter do consider the 20 lb pot. I literally just finished casting 230 gr .45 TC bullets for my Ruger Colt and I used a bit over 10 lbs and cast 300 of them. That is basically a two day match for me. You never should let you pot get below half--changes the head pressure and you have to start messing with the adjustment screw.
But in the final analysis: "you pays your twopence and takes you chance" (see how I worked in a reference to your money--God save the Queen and all)

mongoose33
06-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Early on I bought the Lyman Master Casting kit. It's cheaper than buying it all separately, and there's little there you don't need, if any.

When I bought mine, I wanted a Lee 20# bottom pour instead of the dipping-style furnace that Lyman provides with theirs. So I "sold" the furnace off to a buddy who wanted it for casting sinkers, and put the proceeds toward the Lee furnace. I got 25 pounds of shot for it, I considered it a fair swap. I kept the ladle.

Were I do to it again, I'd probably keep the Lyman furnace in addition to the Lee. Why? For making up small batches of different alloys, or for testing them.

The kit on Midway is $216.00. The sizer alone costs $189.99. The ingot mold costs $21.99. The Cast Bullet Handbook is $21.99. The furnace is $41.99. The ladle is $21.99. You get three sticks of lube (maybe you can sell them, maybe you use them). Anyway, the separate prices total in excess of $286.

So, yes, the kit is, IMO, well worth it.