PDA

View Full Version : we're homeless as of last MondaY

elk hunter
06-12-2015, 09:35 PM
We got home Monday evening just in time to watch the Fire Department cut open our garage roof to vent the fire that was burning in my shop. Not a pleasant thing to watch.

Later discovered that some old surplus 4831 rifle powder had ignited and started the fire. I had discovered the powder was going bad earlier and had put it outside on top of an old freezer that I use to store paint and powder in. I had intended to use it as fertilizer on the lawn, just hadn't gotten to it.

If you have any old powder on hand check it and if it stinks, get rid of it quick, don't let this happen to you.

Looks like we will be out of our house for at least a month possibly longer. Some how living in a Hotel is not the same as being home.

The up side to this was we got to meet some of our newer neighbors all of whom asked if they could help in any way.

The next morning several friends came over and helped clean my micrometers and etc. as all my tool boxes were flooded.

The next two days were spent cleaning guns and deciding which ones were going to the gunsmiths shop for evaluation. Only a few were crispy.

My shop machinery looks pretty grim right now. We're hoping that none of it is seriously damaged. Time will tell.

Again, if you have any old powder get rid of it. Don't let this happen to you.

kfarm
06-12-2015, 09:44 PM
So sorry for your loss. Know how you feel and what your going thru. We lost our house by a tornado in 79 wasn't as bad as my folks lost the old farm house to a fire in 84. A fire is much worse than the tornado, at least I was able to salvage most stuff not so with my folks. Hang in there it will pass.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear for your loss. How did the old powder ignite?

smoked turkey
06-12-2015, 10:30 PM
elk hunter this is so sad. I am sorry for your loss. Of course I am glad that you and your family are OK and I know that things are just that..things..but it must be absolutely awful what you are going through. I have prayed that you will be able to build back a home even better than the one you lost and that you will again be able to settle in your new home with a feeling that all is well. Thank you for the warning about the powder.

lightman
06-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Wow, really sorry to hear this. Glad you are ok.

smokeywolf
06-12-2015, 10:48 PM
So very sorry for your loss. So very glad no one was hurt. Never heard of powder gone bad, spontaneously igniting. I wonder if the container was in direct sun and it got hot enough inside the container. Sounds like you've got some pretty good neighbors.

Hate it when bad things happen to good people.

osteodoc08
06-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Thankfully you and family are ok. Prayers sent your way.

MaryB
06-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Sorry for your loss and let us know if we can do anything!

timspawn
06-12-2015, 11:10 PM
I went through it in 2011. We were out of the house for three months while they rebuilt it. A hurricane put me out of business for six months in 2004. Life has a way of putting the screws to you once and a while but it will get better.

GoodOlBoy
06-13-2015, 05:56 AM
Sorry for your loss. Me and mine are praying for you and yours.

Richard

Taylor
06-13-2015, 08:12 AM
Sorry man,sure hate to hear it.Just hang in there and it'll work itself out.

jmort
06-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Praying for you and your family.

gray wolf
06-13-2015, 10:02 AM
So sorry to hear about this.

I hope you get back on your feet quickly.

Sam

blackthorn
06-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune! On the bright side it seems there were no injuries and (other than memories) stuff can be fixed or replaced.

Harter66
06-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Man hate to hear about anybody loosing the shop, or anything else for that matter.

All powder will eventually reach a point where it at best just degrades and crumbles to dust or it will start to make heat as it takes its last steps. In the case of heat a small quantity in the open and cool may just cook off to dust or gas vent the container. Just a little bit of confinement or with a little bit of external or insulation it over heats and burns. In the quantities that we use it is ridiculously rare. I know of 2 incidents where a few bad cans (32 to 250 lb cans) burned whole buildings of 500klbs. It was quite the light show.

RED333
06-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Just you wait, there will be better times coming yalls way, God Bless.

elk hunter
06-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts, remarks and prayers. We will get through this, life goes on.

pjames32
06-13-2015, 08:32 PM
EH
Sorry for your loss. We had a house fire in 2010 when we were in Mexico. Never good to get a 6AM call from your neighbor to confirm who has your home owners insurance. Mine was caused by a hot tub outside that fed the eaves and into the house. The fire dep't was well aware of my reloading supplies and did a good job of protecting equipment, supplies and firearms. We were in a rental for 5 months and were dropped from our homeowners coverage at our annual renewal. We found insurance, but at 2.5 times what we were previously paying. Good luck!
PJ

LUCKYDAWG13
06-13-2015, 08:42 PM
you will get through this lost all in house fire 7 years ago

shdwlkr
06-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Elk Hunter
Wow not a good day for sure, Glad no one was hurt

fatnhappy
06-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Glad no one was hurt

Amen. It could have been much much worse. I feel your pain elk hunter and hope you move back quickly.

Harter66
06-14-2015, 10:33 AM
James ,
sounds like State Farm.......