PDA

View Full Version : Silica gell dessicant anyone?

bangerjim
06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I have seen in several threads where people are trying to find silica gel drying crystals for humid climates. This silly little plastic things in pill bottles are few and far between and are too small for any large areas.

Was in the grocery store and happened down the pet isle and saw a big bag of "cat litter" that was made from 100% silica gel! Big clear plastic bag for around 8 bucks. Looks to be pure silica gel.

If you need a drying media for powders, ammo, safes, power coating, etc, that is sure a cheap way to get it. Just put it in a nylon sock or cloth bag.

Check out your local stores if interested.

I don't need it here in the desert!

bangerjim

Mal Paso
06-11-2015, 03:49 PM
That's 2 today Jim. Going to get that $60 Harbor Freight Meter too.

Thanks

fastdadio
06-12-2015, 09:36 PM
I have a large can of silica in my safe. It has worked well for years. Moisture indicating beads in the cover turn from blue to pink when it's time to regenerate. Put it in the oven at 325deg. for 3 hours and put it back in the safe. Pretty humid here in the summer and I have never had a hint of rust on any gun or knife. This stuff;
http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Gram-Unit-Hydrosorbent/dp/B000MRCRNE/ref=sr_1_3/188-6663038-4610333?ie=UTF8&qid=1434159106&sr=8-3&keywords=hydrosorbent

JWFilips
06-12-2015, 09:39 PM
bangerjim,
What is the brand name?

bangerjim
06-12-2015, 10:15 PM
"Pet Pride".......I think........but do not hold me to it. I just caught it on a passing glance.

Check your local larger grocery stores.

banger

Scoutdog99
06-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Been using the silica cat litter for several years and it works fine. The stuff is cheap enough that you can just replace it when needed rather than bake it in the oven if you choose.

alamogunr
06-12-2015, 11:51 PM
I got a 16 lb bucket of cat litter on closeout at one of the pet supply chains(can't remember which one) a few years ago. They were converting to 12 lb plastic bags. I ended up paying about $5 less for 16 lbs than I would have for 12 lbs.

The big difference between the crystal cat litter and silica gel sold strictly as a desiccant is the treatment that turns the stuff from blue to pink when saturated. It turns back to blue when baked in a oven(at approx. 250º). I can live without the saturation indicator for the difference in price.

As others have reported, I have no problems with rust here in humid West Tennessee.

mongoose33
06-13-2015, 09:42 PM
http://sorbentsystems.com/products.html

Dessicants, O2 absorbers, all kinds of interesting items.

rsrocket1
06-23-2015, 10:17 AM
I live in a super dry climate so I don't have experience with this but has anyone tried using drywall? I've heard it's a typical 3rd world desiccant and you can use your microwave oven to dry it out. It seems like they would be happy to let you pick up fresh drywall scraps at construction sites for free. You can't get much cheaper than that.

bangerjim
06-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Dry wall will absorb moisture but not nearly as efficiently as silica gel. If drywall worked so well, why would so many people have moisture problems in their drywall coated rooms and houses?!?!?!?!?

There is cheap..................and then there is REALLY cheap! HA.....ha!

banger

rsrocket1
06-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Dry wall will absorb moisture but not nearly as efficiently as silica gel. If drywall worked so well, why would so many people have moisture problems in their drywall coated rooms and houses?!?!?!?!?

There is cheap..................and then there is REALLY cheap! HA.....ha!

banger

I guess the same reason someone will have problems using un-refreshed 15 year old silica gel packs!

bangerjim
06-23-2015, 02:04 PM
You are supposed to throw those things away after a time! That is why I shared the info about the gel cat litter. Use it........toss it! Cheap and very available for those that need desiccants.