PDA

View Full Version : boolet molds ?

paul harm
06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
I read the thread by goodsteel on doing a pound cast - very good, but who makes boolet molds ? Thanks for any info. Paul

jugulater
06-11-2015, 10:01 AM
it matters on how much money you want to spend, you could get a $20 lee Mould or a $80 NOE mould

http://www.noebulletmoulds.com/NV/

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/

I much prefer the NOE moulds, but the Lees do work (if you get a good one!) theres makers inbetween those areas, theres Lyman, RCBS, Saeco. theres also a bunch of companies that produced boat loads of moulds then went out of business, usually these older moulds go for lower prices than a brand new custom mould. Also different companies use different materials, lyman still uses the traditional iron mould blocks while Lee uses aluminum. material and maker of mould can really affect your casting experience.

bessemer20
06-11-2015, 10:06 AM
I like my lyman molds as well as rcbs but haven't had the opportunity to try one from noe yet.

RobS
06-11-2015, 10:09 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?6031-Mould-Makers-Production-amp-Custom

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-11-2015, 10:11 AM
I read the thread by goodsteel on doing a pound cast - very good, but who makes boolet molds ? Thanks for any info. Paul
If you are looking for a custom mold to fit your rifle's throat, you need to contact Tom at Accurate Molds

RobS
06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
If you are looking for a custom mold to fit your rifle's throat, you need to contact Tom at Accurate Molds

Would be my first choice however there are others and one in particular that comes to mind is Veral of LBT Molds.

DrCaveman
06-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Funny that you would find this website, start threads about reloading for a rifle whose caliber you are not sure of, and all the while have no knowledge of any bullet mould makers. If i had to judge, then i'd say that you may be biting off a bit much to chew at this stage. But, who am i to judge...

So, start with a lee, maybe this one will bump up enough for your chamber cast http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476137/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-379-250-rf-375-winchester-38-55-wcf-379-diameter-250-grain-flat-nose

Can a person use multiple pure lead round balls for a pound cast? If so, maybe order some .402" round balls or something.

Although i havent DONE any pound casts (i was lucky enough to get good enough fit for my needs through experimenting with a few moulds), i kinda thought that one performed them in order to find out which mould to buy or design for their gun. Not: buy a mould explicitly to perform a pound cast. Maybe i misunderstand

MBTcustom
06-13-2015, 01:49 AM
The purpose of doing a pound cast is to obtain good measurements of the exact characteristics of your throat (the area that engraves the bullet with the riflings).

This gives you the groove size, the throat entrance diameter, the throat angle, the chamber neck diameter, and the overall chamber length.

I find it necessary to file off the groove impressions, reinsert the pound cast, and bump it again. Each time you do this, you get a more accurate rendering of the chamber, throat and groove diameter. Usually I end up bumping the slug three times (third time is a charm).

Once that is done correctly, a bullet is selected that gives the best fit to your specific conditions. What you are looking for is a bullet that has very little unsupported/bore riding nose, at least 65% full engagement with the rifling, .002 larger than groove diameter, and absolutely no bigger than throat entrance diameter, and more driving band width than lube groove width.
If such a bullet already exists, then buy from the mold maker that you prefer that stocks that bullet.
If such a bullet does NOT exist, then tell Tom at Accurate Molds what you need, and when he gets you lined out with a bullet mold that suits your pleasure, buy it from him.

Mold makers that you should look at are Accurate, NOE (my two top picks, and absolutely the best in the world in my humble opinion) Mi Heck, LBT, and Lee.

MT Gianni
06-14-2015, 12:37 AM
If you are looking for a mold to make a pound cast and do not yet have any molds to pour one from, drill a hole in a 2x4 of a close diameter and depth. For example 7/32=0.21875" and you will wobble with a hand drill. 5/16=0.3125" and 23/64=0.359375". Pour a couple then cut out everything that isn't bullet. If we are all confused try re-wording your question. If you are being a smartaz about the spelling of boolits speak with a moderator.