PDA

View Full Version : Dating Rossi Model 92 (.44 mag)

NavyVet1959
06-10-2015, 10:38 PM
I recently acquired a Rossi Model 92 in .44 mag and am trying to date it. I tried the online tool and it came back with not found on the serial number. The serial number is M043XXX. It has a 16" barrel and no safety (nor does it appear that there ever even was a safety on it). It has a U-shape piece of steel on the left side of the receiver that I suspect was for a saddle ring (but no ring currently is on it). It has the large lever loop also. I know the large lever loop is just a Hollywood invention, but as someone with larger hands, I appreciate it.

On the top of the tang, it says:
AMADEO ROSSI SA.-MADE IN BRAZIL

On the bottom of the tang, it says:
MODEL 92 SRC
INTERARMS
ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/rossi-model-92-480w.jpg (http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/rossi-model-92.jpg)

NavyVet1959
06-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Have you tried contacting the importer, Interarms?

Interarms is now a part of High Standard and I sent them an email about an hour after I started this thread. So far, no response.

runfiverun
06-12-2015, 01:49 AM
i'll take a stab with the writing on the bottom I'd go with before 95 for sure.
navy arms was importing and building them about that time, lsi was before and again after [right before Taurus took rossi over]
the later ones have the writing rolled on the side of the receiver and not on the bottom tang..
the real early rossi's were called the puma and most had a picture of a jumping puma in a semi-circle.
most with brass plated frames.
yours is marked SRC for the [S]hort [R]ifle butt stock and [C]arbine for the barrel length and shape.
the short rifle had a 20" octagon barrel and the same [carbine] butt-stock.
the carbines have the round barrel and same butt plate.

these guy's should have more information or a place to go look to date it for sure

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/

Ragnarok
06-12-2015, 09:13 AM
The SRC is simply saddle-ring carbine....judging by the profile of the buttstock comb and the contour of the receiver bottom the Rossi pictured is probably made just before the Taurus/Rossi merger...'Braztech' and apparently the safety are features of the Taurus imported guns.

The Braztech M92 carbines will be in the serial number online look-up and are covered by the lifetime warranty. The older Interarms imported Rossi carbines were imported for a longtime. Earlier versions looking more like an original Winchester M1892 as far as how they profiled the buttstock comb and the bottom of the receiver. Newer versions of the Interarms Rossi M92 look just like the current Braztech offerings except no safety(at least I've never seen a Interarms M92 with a safety)

Speedo66
06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
The Braztech M92 carbines will be in the serial number online look-up and are covered by the lifetime warranty.

Although their website has the "lifetime warranty" banner in the Rossi rifle section, read the fine print and you discover the lifetime warranty is only for the pistols. The rifles have a one year warranty. A little misleading to be sure.

runfiverun
06-12-2015, 07:35 PM
the top turn safety come in long before the Taurus take-over.

the rossi 92 importers tale is pretty twisted, much like the Dan Wesson saga.