PDA

View Full Version : New here, Finally learned to cast

jwrowland77
06-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Been a Reloader for awhile, but finally cast my first boolits yesterday. I went and met a friend mine who casts a lot and has been doing it for 30+ years and he helped mentor me along the way.

I cast 9mm 120gr TC and some .357/.38 158gr boolits.

I can easily see me adding my moulds along the way, quickly.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions, I'll be sure to hit up the stickies first.

Casting can be addictive.

michiganmike
06-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Welcome! I have been reloading for the past 35 years and casting for about the last 10. It is very rewarding, personally and financially. There is something about taking a dirty wheel weight and transforming it into a precision, shiny, accurate bullet that continues to amaze me.

dondiego
06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
I wish that I had a mentor when I started casting. HE saved you a lot of wondering, and answered your questions just by watching him do his work. Priceless!

jwrowland77
06-10-2015, 10:49 AM
I wish that I had a mentor when I started casting. HE saved you a lot of wondering, and answered your questions just by watching him do his work. Priceless!

Yeah, I had a mentor when I first started reloading and looked for one to start casting. My other mentor called me while I was casting and told me he had a bunch of 1# our lead ingots for me, as well as a bunch of lead sheets that came off roofs.

It was great to have a mentor to show me casting. I had a ton of questions, even after reading my Lyman 49th and Lee manuals. I'll be buying the Lyman casting manual very soon.

dondiego
06-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Welcome! You are in the right place. Read all you can.

Don

Wayne Smith
06-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Started reloading with the information from Guns magazine (thanks for posting the 1965 Guns, I remember reading it when I was 16 or so, whoever did it) and others, got a Lee Loader for 16ga and 30-30 and started, no mentor, no one else that I knew who reloaded.

Started casting and the guys on Shooters.com were my mentors. You are fortunate to have both a personal mentor and the internet to learn from. This site will provide all the information you need and more.

jwrowland77
06-10-2015, 11:20 AM
I used to talk to Felix all the time when I was trying to decide if I wanted to start. I had planned to get him to mentor me but that of course was not meant to be.

bessemer20
06-11-2015, 10:10 AM
I am also new to the casting world and have found a wealth of information here as well as patient people to help along the way.

Landshark9025
06-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Welcome! I recommend setting up a regimen to strengthen your index finger. Once you start casting you NEED to shoot more. Testing needs to be done and all. :)

There are some good article here and the search box can be your friend. Ask away. The members here love to help.

bangerjim
06-11-2015, 02:13 PM
I learned by my lonesome reading magazines and books of the day. No internet. Just lots of hands-on and common sense/wisdom. Not really that hard!

This site is a trove of valuable info and help. Just read some of the main stickies first. Most do not like taking time to answer simple questions already answered a dozen times before because someone was just too lazy to do their homework.

If you get stuck, ask! There are hundreds of man-years of experience here.

And have fun.

bangerjim

jwrowland77
06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
I learned by my lonesome reading magazines and books of the day. No internet. Just lots of hands-on and common sense/wisdom. Not really that hard!

This site is a trove of valuable info and help. Just read some of the main stickies first. Most do not like taking time to answer simple questions already answered a dozen times before because someone was just too lazy to do their homework.

If you get stuck, ask! There are hundreds of man-years of experience here.

And have fun.

bangerjim

Completely understand. I'm the same way. I actually enjoy doing the research on my own.

pjames32
06-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Welcome-this habit is addicting! Glad you found a mentor.
Where are you located?
PJ

jwrowland77
06-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Welcome-this habit is addicting! Glad you found a mentor.
Where are you located?
PJ

I'm out of Central Arkansas.

Yeah, I knew casting would be addicting since I'm so addicted to reloading for last several years. Neat to make my own boolits.

pjames32
06-11-2015, 08:09 PM
You should be in a good place to shoot all those new cast boolits. Good luck
PJ

JWFilips
06-11-2015, 08:20 PM
I had the greatest mentor (s) when I started casting: It was the knowledgeable folks here! Some are gone now...some have moved on; but You still will learn alot here!

03fatboy
06-12-2015, 10:36 AM
JW, I started casting about a month ago,very addicting.

You are lucky to have someone to help you.

This site is a wealth of knowledge and people willing to help.

Don't know what I would of done with out it.

jwrowland77
06-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Finally found a steady source of wheel weights. Scored 175#'s today from them. Getting roughly a 75-80% ratio of lead weights compared to steel/zinc.

Real pain to sort out though. Lol

bangerjim
06-15-2015, 08:51 PM
Finally found a steady source of wheel weights. Scored 175#'s today from them. Getting roughly a 75-80% ratio of lead weights compared to steel/zinc.

Real pain to sort out though. Lol

You are VERY lucky to find that ratio of lead. I quit with WW scrounging 2+ years ago when the ration hit <60% around here. Not worth my time.

Now I buy all my clean lead and alloys and mix what I want.

Have fun!

banger

jwrowland77
06-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Finally got a cast iron pot today, ladle and spoon. Weekend looks right to do some rendering. [emoji16]

I'm enjoying this whole casting thing.

jwrowland77
06-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Well, rendered down the 175#'s of wheel weights I bought for $90, and ended up with 132#'s of lead ingots. I'm pretty happy about that. Gives me right around 7700 120gr TC boolits for around .011 a piece.

Plus I have 16#'s of pure lead to make .454 round balls for my cap and ball revolver. I got the pure lead for free.

Wild Bill 7
06-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Been casting around 20 years now. I was lucky enough to have a mentor. We had some really fun casting times. Bought a Pro Melt ($149.95 cost WOW), 3 RCBS moulds and we had access to a whole lot of wheel weights. Bought a propane single burner, cast iron pot and some thrift store spoons and started making ingots. It is so relaxing to take all the wheel weights and range lead and make clean ingots. Then I found this site and all the info here just helped me so much. You guys are amazing to pass on your knowledge for others to learn from.