PDA

View Full Version : I knew it but had to shoot them anyhow (Leading)

Seeker
06-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I've been shooting my .452 cast boolits through my .45 Colt cylinder with -O- leading, lots of them. I had 12- 45acp rnds I loaded up with the same boolits, sitting on the bench here and decided to shoot them up, knowing full well what was gonna happen. Yup, you guessed it.... I hope. I loaded these, seated them with the seat and crimp die with the crimp backed off. Then I run them through the FCD. That was my mistake. The bullets were re-sized down when they were pushed through the carbide sizing ring on the FCD. Lesson learned. The first 2 shots were in the 10x at 20 yrds and the rest started stringing. Considerable leading with just 12 rnds. I pulled the cylinder out and sure enough there was the proof. The barrel is soaking in Nitro Solvent as I write this. From now on the FCD will be used for jacketed boolits only. Go ahead with the "I told you so's".

308w
06-09-2015, 07:47 PM
You can knock the carbide ring out of the fcd's. Then use just the crimp feature, I done it to mine, works great.

dubber123
06-09-2015, 08:22 PM
If you shoot properly sized, well lubed boolits, the leading will come right out. It often only takes a cylinder or so. LBT suggested this to me, and it works. Beats soaking and scrubbing.