PDA

View Full Version : Do you empty furnace after use? Beginner Question of course

RegisG
06-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Actually I used to cast some in the early 90's but getting feet wet again.

I am about ready to buy furnace (probably Lee 20#). The one I had 25 years ago always leaked. I never emptied it and was thinking that maybe if I emptied every time, the nipple would remain clear. Also, in the past, the lead I used was not all that clean (ww, scrap, etc). Will probably use a lot cleaner alloy now.

Looking to get off on the right foot so I thought I would ask first.

Thanks,
Regis

Yodogsandman
06-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the forum and back to casting! I like to fill my pot at the end of a casting session with clean alloy. That way when I start it again it's already full and ready to be "fluxed" with beeswax, paraffin or bullet lube as soon as it's melted. I also believe that keeping the pot full prevents it from rust.

When "smelting" or "reducing", be sure to use a different pot and use both sawdust and wax to clean/flux your alloys. Use only clean alloys in your actual casting pot to prevent the spout from clogging.

ReloaderFred
06-09-2015, 10:24 AM
I have a Lyman pot, a Magma Master Caster and a Magma Bullet Master Mark 6, and none of them are emptied at the end of a casting session. It's much easier to start up the next time with alloy in the pot, and it's easier on the heating elements.

There are many threads on how to stop a pot from leaking, so if you run into that problem again, there's information available on how to cure the problem.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Beagle333
06-09-2015, 10:27 AM
I refill mine with new alloy at the end of each session, just so I'll have one less thing to do when I'm bustling about, setting up the mold oven and cleaning molds when I want to start a new session. 8-)

RegisG
06-09-2015, 10:28 AM
That was pretty quick replies and exactly what I needed.

Thank you,
Regis

C.F.Plinker
06-09-2015, 01:07 PM
I run mine until it's empty. Then, once it has cooled off, I scrape off anything that has clung to the sides and empty it out. This way it is ready to go and I can use whatever alloy is needed for the boolits or round balls I am casting.

Mk42gunner
06-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the forum and back to casting! I like to fill my pot at the end of a casting session with clean alloy. That way when I start it again it's already full and ready to be "fluxed" with beeswax, paraffin or bullet lube as soon as it's melted. I also believe that keeping the pot full prevents it from rust.

When "smelting" or "reducing", be sure to use a different pot and use both sawdust and wax to clean/flux your alloys. Use only clean alloys in your actual casting pot to prevent the spout from clogging.

This is what I do also.

My primary alloy is wheelweights, and I have not seen the bottom of my Promelt since I first filled it.

Robert

bangerjim
06-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Welcome!

I have not seen the bottom of my Lee 4-20 pots in years! I always add alloy when done to bring the level up to about 1/2" from the rim each time. I draw off an ½# ingot and mark it's date and hardness (after a few days) for the next time.

Not emptying them allows for much faster heat-up the next time!

ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure your feed ingots are 100% clean and pure by fluxing 3X in your re-melting pot. Use only beeswax in your casting pot to keep the Sn reduced back in and gunk out of your valve.

NEVER EVER re-melt COWW's and dirty lead/alloy in your casting pot! That is what your re-melting pot is for.

Has worked for me for a long time.

Have fun!

bangerjim

Cord
06-09-2015, 06:27 PM
I always fill up my Pro-Melt up before turning it off.

The only exception is when I change the alloy, from WW to 25:1 or such.

With a bunch of cold ingots piled into an empty pot that is heating up,
I can see red areas on the pot walls between the ingots
where the heat from the elements is not being
transferred quickly enough to the lead.

That can't be good for the elements.
Avoiding it is my main reason for leaving it full.

osteodoc08
06-09-2015, 08:55 PM
I always refill and clean with some beeswax. As mentioned it's easier on the heating element.

lightman
06-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I leave mine full and put a tag on it with the alloy type.

gpidaho
06-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Be careful leaving a pot full if it's linotype. COULD not saying it will, but might end up with a grade school science project volcano when you reheat. GP

Le Loup Solitaire
06-09-2015, 10:49 PM
I never empty the pot unless I want to clean it. That is periodically necessary to get any crud out that has been missed by fluxing/cleaning. If not then some will eventually wind up in the valve. When casting is done I leave the pot 1/3 to 1/2 full as it makes heat up easier the next time. LLS

Case Stuffer
06-09-2015, 10:56 PM
My RCBS Pro Melt has not been emptied in 40 years in fact most times I do not run it much below 1/2 full.

I do not understand the Linotype comment as I use to run straight Linotype for days on in back when it cost me less than $0.50 a pound and never had any issue.
I also did a lot of custom machine work for companies who used Linotype and Intertype machines which were only feed linotype and I never saw or heard of any volcano activity.

LenH
06-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Since I cast outdoors and now have a Pro-Melt, I drain mine almost empty so I can store it when it cools. Prolly leave it half full and refill for the next casting session.
I always left the Lee pot out side on a shelf and left it nearly full, I guess I am being anal with the Pro Melt but it is stored inside.

RegisG
06-10-2015, 09:29 AM
I appreciate all the "Welcomes" and discussion on this. When I had problems years ago, (after reading this) it was because I would toss in a handful of WW's occasionally and just clean in the casting pot. I mostly had linotype at that time and supplemented with WW's.
Never again. If I use unclean lead, I will use separate pot to clean.

Thanks again to all for input,
Regis

Welcome!

I have not seen the bottom of my Lee 4-20 pots in years! I always add alloy when done to bring the level up to about 1/2" from the rim each time. I draw off an ½# ingot and mark it's date and hardness (after a few days) for the next time.

Not emptying them allows for much faster heat-up the next time!

ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure your feed ingots are 100% clean and pure by fluxing 3X in your re-melting pot. Use only beeswax in your casting pot to keep the Sn reduced back in and gunk out of your valve.

NEVER EVER re-melt COWW's and dirty lead/alloy in your casting pot! That is what your re-melting pot is for.

Has worked for me for a long time.

Have fun!

bangerjim

fredj338
06-11-2015, 03:15 PM
If you want a drippy pot, empty it often. That is how the crud gets into the spout. If I want to change alloys, I empty all but about 1/2" off the bottom, then add whatever alloy I want. That small amount isn't changing much.

Taylor
06-13-2015, 08:24 AM
I leave it full.I do clean it....sometimes.