PDA

View Full Version : Fun yesterday, but paid for it today.

starmac
06-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Well my neighbor has done went and bought a bunck of baby chickens. He has them in his shop for now and was planning on building a chicken pen out on his property, but had hernia surgery, and is still recuperating from that.
He mentioned he wished he could go get some logs off a lot that they cleared, and get me to saw enough lumber to build some type of shelter, with my new to me sawmill.
I haven't sawn anything yet, and figured I could use some practice anyway. I had gathered up a few sawlogs to practice on, so I decided to fire it up and get started, sawed till nearly midnight, but it took a while to get to moving this morning.
I got nearly all the framing lumber and a good part of the siding sawn, but today only got it all cut to length, and finished sawing the framing lumber.
I will try to get it all knocked together tomorrow, everything is now cut except for one header and the rafters, just a bunch of nailing now. lol
The saw mill sure let me know how soft I have gotten sitting behind a wheel for a lliving. lol

lightman
06-07-2015, 12:22 PM
It sounds like your neighbor has a good neighbor! Midnight? I forget about the time difference up North.

starmac
06-07-2015, 03:45 PM
It is still daylight at midnight, sooooo when you are haveing fun, time has a tendency to get away from you. lol

osteodoc08
06-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Sounds awesome Starmac. Definitely need a little show and tell. I'd love to see your set up and project along the way and finished.

And yes, your neighbor has an awesome neighbor.

leeggen
06-07-2015, 10:26 PM
What kind of sawmill, how big of an engine, how large of a log diameter and how long of a log will it cut? I beleive that will answer my questions. Oh what brand??
CD

bearcove
06-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Yeah sawing is work, we have a timberking and it will wear you out! A LOT of our wood is cut on shares, "I'll give ya half if saw it"

TXGunNut
06-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Sounds like you've secured an egg supply for at least a little while, lol.

Bzcraig
06-08-2015, 12:30 AM
It is still daylight at midnight, sooooo when you are haveing fun, time has a tendency to get away from you. lol

Well you haven't gotten as soft as me, sun up or sun down my body would start screaming at me after about 6 hours!

starmac
06-08-2015, 03:36 AM
Well to answer Leegen.
It is a woodmizer LT40HD.
26 horse onan
It will comfortably cut 28 inch diam by 21 foot long, you can go both a little more diam, and longer too, but it gets into work, if you go any bigger.

Plans has changed today though.
My neighbor on the other side of me has some pheasants ordered, and got a call that her mother isn't going to make it much longer, and was asking for her.
She was all in a tissy to come up with something, anything to house the 30 pheasants in. She was putting off going to see her mother, till she could come up with (build) something. her husband is a trucker, and since they just friday got the haul road open after nearly a month, it is an emergency getting fuel to the north slope.

Since I hadn't told my other neighbor I was building this for him, I told her no problem, get your ticket bought, cuz here is your new pheasant inn.
The lord works in misterious ways, it would be very hard to scrounge any more logs till freezeup, but earlier this morning, another friend of mine that has the same mill I do, stopped by and asked if I would be interested in cutting his logs on the halves, as he has to work out of town all summer, and doesn't want to leave them lay.
He has a full long log truck load of cream of the crop big spruce.
It will take another week or so, to get my other neighbor fixed up, but we'll get it done. lol