PDA

View Full Version : Invited friends to my club

Jal5
06-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Last Thurs. Evening I invited 5 friends to my shooting club. Almost all had a firearm to bring. We shot paper and steel at the pistol range and rifle range then tried the trap range. It was a great time. Maybe some will become members? They were also surprised at how well my 9mm and 45 ACP Reloads worked out. A good time.

375supermag
06-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Hi...

Good for you!
We need more people actively engaged in the shooting sports and joining gun/shooting clubs.

Be careful, though...I invited a friend to go shooting at my gun club several years ago and now he gets a bit put out when i tell him I was out shooting and didn't invite him. I do arrange 5-6 trips a year with him, but sometimes I prefer to just go and shoot with my son only.

I have been trying to get him a membership but the waiting list is quite long.

shooterg
06-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Always a good thing. Our club only allows an individual to come twice in a year as a guest. Then they haveta pony up if they like it. All matches are open to all, though.

snuffy
06-07-2015, 01:07 PM
I can only take two guests at a time. They have to be signed in at the clubhouse and I have to supervise their every move. They are only allowed 2 visits, then they are expected to join."Catch 22, closed membership after 150 members, new applicants go on a waiting list"! I call it being close minded by the board and membership to the future of the shooting sports.

The waiting list is 25 applicants long, and the last one can expect to wait 10 years. A once isolated country club is now surrounded by yuppies big $ houses. They want us closed down, but a Wisconsin law says an established shooting range cannot be closed down. It's an old mans club, the youngest member is 40. Set in their ways they figure why should a new member get for free, what us old faRts have built? Biggest problem is with bullets escaping the shooting range would be considered trespassing on somebodies property. THAT would get us closed down.

No more steel targets, or targets on the ground. Too easy for a bullet to skip off a steel target or hit a stone in the ground. Paper targets only right in front of the berms.

Jal5
06-08-2015, 11:23 AM
We have a long wait list for new members about 3 yrs. but the setup is great. Steel and paper targets, falling plate racks, steel challenge course, 100 and 200 yd rifle, trap course. It is worth it to get on the wait list!

dragon813gt
06-08-2015, 12:37 PM
One club I belong to is no guests allowed to shoot. I can't even take them fishing in the stocked lake either. I'm not a fan because of their ridiculous rules but I'm a member non the less.

The primary one I use is guests are allowed to shoot once and then they have to join. Thankfully they just changed how new members are handled. We're back to needing a sponsor and they have to attend a range safety course before they are voted in. Membership is really close to 1k and the long lines of people signing up on meeting night made for a three hour meeting.

Another one I belong to is pretty much do what you want. You have to have your member card visible at all times. But the public can access everything and no one says anything if you aren't displaying your card.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-08-2015, 05:04 PM
I am a member at 2 clubs the first is an outdoor only rifle range to 100 meters our annual dues are very minimal 35 a year and an orientation , the set up is fairly basic bring your own target stands , there are a few benches and it gets mowed when some one feels like it you bring it you take it home it works. it does not get plowed in the winter

the second has an indoor and outdoor range although the outdoor is still under construction , dues are 160 a year they just went up from 130

at both immediate family are part of your membership and you may bring guests but they are encouraged to join if they will be frequent guests.

the indoor we may have up to 4 guests at a time but may only use a max of 2 lanes at any one time and there is a 7 dollar guest fee for non immediate family

we like to see guest come once or twice and then join the hardest part of joining is finding the few hours on a Wednesday night to ask entrance and take training

fill out form , be an NRA member , ask at a monthly meeting , pay $ and take a 2 hour training

we want to encourage new people but we want the guest fee to encourage any one returning monthly to join we need members and we are all members run we do all the work , no employees

Harter66
06-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Wow. 147 reasons I am so glad to live in the uninhabited far west desert........

I'm sorry yall have to live in such confined ,over populated places.

country gent
06-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Our club you have to sighn them in on a form and pay a fee for day membership. The member sighning for them is responsible for thier actions. One of the changes made that was a mistake was doing away with the member sponsorship of new members. Now they join and are let loose with little if any knowledge of range saftey or ettiquette. Used to be you needed a sponsor and was on a 1 uear probation period as a new member.

TXGunNut
06-09-2015, 10:40 PM
My club allows guests on a limited basis for a nominal fee and member has to supervise them, no limit on number of visits for a guest. That's a good thing; Texassako has been on the list for at least a year and has moved up very little. Membership is limited and waiting list is quite long.