PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Expectations for Cast Boolits

Bass Ackward
11-01-2006, 08:27 AM
When you read that title, what came into your mind? What did you expect was going to be written here?

Chances are it was your own expectations that matter to you. What were they?

We have a lot of new folks with varring experience levels. Are you finding the information and help you need?

This will help everyone to know and taylor answers to you.

ssgt
11-01-2006, 09:27 AM
My expectation as concerns accuracy is very simple....Hunting.

Without undue attention to powder, load density, OAL etc I should be able to break 10 clays at 100 yards with 10 shots.

As concerns performance? Well, If the animal Im aiming at takes no more than 10 steps then falls over dead (assuming I do my part) then that is good performance.In this area I do tend to play with things such as hardness, lube, etc.

Yes, its very simplistic but so far Ive had no complaints. However, now that Ive been considering cast bullets in competition I sure that I will have to reconsider my personal expectations!

cherok9878
11-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Hunting accuracy is all I need. I use minute of paper plate to determine my accuracy requirements. However on the random occasion when I get the one ragged hole I am as excited as a man with a new puppy.
I am very new to casting and started after finding this site. Information here has made my transition very easy and enjoyable......thanks.......larry

dk17hmr
11-01-2006, 01:03 PM
My Realistic Expectations for Cast Boolits :

Be able to punch a hole in paper. That is about it. Being a full time college student and not working very much I needed a way to feed my newly aquired 45acp, because I love to shoot. I got a cast pot from my grandad and a dipper, I used my dads single burner Coleman stove, then upgraded to a 2 burner Coleman Stove I picked up at a flee market for $10, now I have a bottom pour a friend gave me.

Now I cast bullets for 9mm, 38, 357, 452, 458, 30, 44, and 50 cal muzzy bullets.

I have only been casting for about 6 months now.

Orignally I wanted just to be able to plink and maybe be able to hunt with my 45acp. Realistically I am getting better groups from the bench with my rifles then I did with some condom bullets.

And WOW this is cheap. I have close to 500 pounds of lead ingots and have only gave about $15 total for all my lead.

dbotos
11-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Cheap. That was my first expectation. In 9mm, factory fodder is $12+/100, reloading plated was about $8/100, and I am now loading my own cast bullets (from free lead) for about $2.75/100. :mrgreen: Said cheapness has also turned me on to .45 ACP, which I bought some casting stuff for and will soon be buying reloading dies, a Glock 21, and an aftermarket barrel.

Other than that, I just want decent accuracy for the Defensive Pistol competitions I shoot in. So far so good. I've got some other powders to test in the off-season too.

KCSO
11-01-2006, 01:29 PM
I started with cast to provide cheap practice and small game loads for my rifles. Thereafter I got into old guns and the cast loads put less wear on the bores of the old ones. My accuracy requirments are not too tough the cast loads just need to shoot as well or better than factory ammo!

C1PNR
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
My expectations for cast boolits is that I can put a heck of a lot of rounds down range for modest cost, and with a VERY high pleasure quotient (and a low wear quotient on the firearms).

My expectations further are that I can tailor boolit shape and diameter to best suit my firearms. All of them!

I started with moulds for the .45 Colt and .45 ACP. I wanted hard hitting, accurate .45 Colt, and accurate, inexpensive .45 ACP ammo.

I have since expanded to the rifle calibers and still expect < 2 MOA performance, with velocity capable of hits at long range when I do my part. This usually means a long process of load testing, which is nothing more than a really good excuse to shoot more.[smilie=1:

This accuracy condition varies, of course, with the type and condition of the rifle itself. I don't expect the same level of accuracy from a "well worn" turn of the century, WW I, or WW II veteran with original sights, as I expect from a 2004 Remington 8 Mauser, or a 1970s Ruger 7 Mauser, both with scopes.

My casting, hand loading, and shooting activities have been drastically curtailed for several years by conditions beyond my control (having to travel to work and provide a proper income for my family), but now that I'm retired and back in Idaho, I'm ready to really "GET IT ON!" as they say.

David R
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I would like 1 moa or there about, but don't expect much more than that. Peestols, I expect to get as good as those hethan bullets. Some times better.

I have a Savage 24V that is 222 over 20 guage. It will shoot 1.5" at 50 yards, 8" at 100 and I am totally satisfied. Its a samll game gun. I can't even see a squirrel at 100 yards let alone shoot at it with iron sites.

22-250 has put 14 rounds in 5" at 300 yards. This is my most accurate cast rifle, but I don't shoot it much.

I have a 1917 enfield that shoots about 4" at 100 yards and it hits the silly wets with regularity.....Good enough for me. I have had more fun with this gun and cast boolits than any other rifle. When I am at the range I will let anybody shoot it and let em shoot a bunch. I use the 311407 group buy mold and 13.5 grains of Promo. I load em on the dillion. Cheap and fun. What more could you ask for?

If I need better accuracy, my stevens in 308 has a nice scope. It will shoot one inch at 100, but about 8 at 300....so far. This is accaptable to me too.

If I am hunting deer, I just take my Ruger super red hawk 44 with cast.

I won the center fire peestol silly wet match (league?) with my S&W model 25-7 (45 colt) and cast two years ago. Last year it was with my Ruger 44 and of course cast. Both were iron sites. Again what more could a guy ask for?

David

Topper
11-01-2006, 10:21 PM
I've been casting for several years, and the information on this sight has been a real eye opener.
I have a better understanding of what causes leading and how to resolve it, lubes, molds and designs, gunsmithing tips, what loads work with which calibers, alloy differences, front stuffers, and a host of other topics including receipes:).
I've never taken any game with a lead bullet other than factory 22, but I'm planning on trying either a 30cal cast or 41mag cast this year if the opportunity arises.
This is a great forum for anyone interest in boolit casting and for experienced casters to share their wealth of knowledge.
By the way, this is a group I shot Monday with my 14" Contender .41mag barrel under very unfavorable wind conditions.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Topper_1950/300grCast.jpg
I guesstimate the velocity is around 1400 fps since the groups were 2.25" higher @ 50yds.

carpetman
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
DavidR---I also have a Savage .222 and 20 guage combo. I found a steal on a Leupold 1x-4x and on .222 it does great. Shotgun,I don't have a clue--have never fired a shotgun round in it. My son in law used it on a turkey last year.

MT Gianni
11-01-2006, 11:38 PM
My expectations started to be able to shoot when clinton's brady bill took away all our components. It has evolved to more shots per $ and the ability to shoot and take game animals with cast rifle boolits. I also expect to equal handgun ammo with my own cast boolits and have an extended plinking range of something I made my self. I extended my sling shot range showing I haven't matured much in the last 40 years. Gianni.

AnthonyB
11-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Great thread idea, Bass.

Pistols - cast should do everything I need a pistol to do, hence my preference for big FN designs in the only real pistol caliber, the 45 ACP. If I can make offhand head shots on a B-27 target from 25 yards the load is accurate enough. Small groups at closer ranges mean I'm not shooting fast enough. When I can't use a real pistol, a 9mm with jacketed HPs serves. Practice ammo for it uses very cheap milsurp boolits.

Revolvers - again, cast does everything from soft HPs to hard boolits. I have never tried a load whose accuracy didn't exceed my shooting ability, and use the paper plate test to determine my max range. If I can't hit the plate I need to spend time on the range, not at the loading bench.

Rifles - I've only worked with the 45-70 and 356 Winchester so far, and both will equal jacketed accuracy.

Tony

OBXPilgrim
11-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I've been hunting since '76 as a 16 year old, with nobody else in my family interested in it (nobody minded having a little venison when that 1st one came). Had a family friend show me reloading that same year. Started reloading 10 years later after finally being able to afford some decent firearms.

Been through a decent introduction to NRA Highpower Rifle Match shooting as well as Smallbore Silhouette & Smallbore Cowboy Silhoutte. Have shot alot of cast bullet (sorry - boolit) handgun loads - mostly low pressure calibers over the years.

Learned enough over the years to know that many times it is much better to listen than to reply. Found out about this site from somebody over at Greybeards. I've looked over alot of archived info & was quite impressed to say the least. I've always thought cast boolits were just a cheaper alternative. I was kind of shock to realize there were people that were brazen enough to think they were superior to boot.

In short order this has become my #1 go-to site for info & I'm determined to give these cast thumpers a try. Still like some of the other gun-sites on the web, just seems like there are more options of doing things right over here & more open discussion with differences of opinion here than a few other sites I've been on.

So my expectations of "CastBoolits" has been better than expected, hope my expectations of cast boolits are the same.

sundog
11-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Pilgrim, cast boolits are not an alternative to condums. Rather, it's the other way around. Condums are an expensive, and not always 'mo betta' alternative, to real boolits. sundog

Bass Ackward
11-02-2006, 04:09 PM
What I find strage is that no one mentions any long range aspirations. Handgun or rifle. (yet)

Superb accuracy requirements.

Don't be afraid. Spill your guts. Tell us what you really think.

Too many folks belong to this board have never posted yet. What about yooze guys?

felix
11-02-2006, 04:45 PM
John, I can't see a beer can anymore past 100 yards! ... felix

Bass Ackward
11-02-2006, 04:54 PM
John, I can't see a beer can anymore past 100 yards! ... felix

Felix,

That's OK. If you understand Manlaw, as it pertains to beer, you would know that beer cans should be crushed on the forehead or thrown when they are empty.

Anyone that tells you that they can throw an empty beer can farther than 100 yards is a BSer to the max. So you should be OK with that 100 yard limit. :grin:

dragonrider
11-02-2006, 05:22 PM
I have no expectations for cast boolits. I shoot so I can reload, and I got into casting because it is another aspect of reloading. I know it sounds odd but accurracy for me is incedental. I go to the range in order to empty some cases so I can fill em up again. If I hit an 8 x 11 inch paper at 100 yds, that works for me.

felix
11-02-2006, 05:29 PM
John, I'm so lazy that I wait for the wind to blow a beer can from my feet to the other side of the pond. The pond edge over there is about 80-100 yards from our (felix & Corky) shooting positions, depending on wind and shooting angles. No, we can't throw that far, but my sons can get fairly close when there are some rocks placed into the empty cans first. ... felix

Bass Ackward
11-02-2006, 05:45 PM
So far we have:

hunting
cost
excuse to reload
cheapness
handgun proficiency
economical
fun
cheapness
blammin

Seems like economics and fun are highly represented so far.

Where are all the new folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I understand why Felix and Sundog have so many issues. They work too hard at getting empty targets. :grin:

1Shirt
11-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Well, like a lot of the others, I am cheap. However beyond that I like the challange of shooting cast, finding the most accurate loads, developing squibs/silent loads, and hunting loads. I cast and load for rifles, handguns, and muzzle loaders in 22,24,6.5,7mm,30's, 31's, 35, 375, 44, and 45 plus round balls from 32 to 75 and a few minis. Could probably be a lot better off overall if I got rid of about half of my inventory, and concentrated on just a couple three rifles, hand guns and front stuffers. That said, never said never figured that I would have this many guns, molds, etc, but when it comes to collecting things, collections like Topsy they grew. Never ran into anyone who considered themself to be an expert caster/cast shooter. Lots of very knowledgable folks on this web, and I constantly learn from them. Like Bass says there are varying levels of knowledge and experiance. Don't know about other old dogs, but this one is always willing to learn new tricks when it comes to casting and shooting cast boolits.
1Shirt!:coffee:

bmblong
11-02-2006, 07:13 PM
I guess I am a newbie since I'm still a boolit bub. I got into reloading because it was cheap. I found out casting was super cheap. Then other things came into play. I found out that lead in your barrel is a pain in the @ss. Now I am trying to find a .357 load that won't lead a rifle and will shoot a 3 inch group at 100yds. I've got a .44mag Ruger Super Redhawk and a Winchester 94 .44 that I am waiting on the group buy that's going on. I want 2-3inch groups at 50 yds for the Redhawk. (scoped) and 4 inch groups at 100yds for the rifle. Both rifles have peep sights. I want ZERO leading with decent velocity 1100-1400fps. I have had great success with tumble lubed bullets at 900-1000fps with no leading. I have a 1911 that I want to shoot paperplate accurate at about 15-20yds. That is about all my expectations for cast boolits.

SharpsShooter
11-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I enjoy taking a untamed wheelweight and creating a finished product that I can use for Long Range sillywet, hunting or paper punching. You guys kill me...cheap..this hobby ain't cheap. I have bought more dies, lube, presses, moulds, gaschecks and even a couple more guns since taking up this affliction than in many years past. I require accuracy. With the serious guns, if it is not capable of 2" less at 100yds, I'm not too interested. Plinker guns should still be capable of 3-4" at a hundred yards. These requirements tend to give you a lot of trigger time. The Challenge of working up loads that are acceptable is a part of the enjoyment that many would find frustrating, but the chase is as fun as the capture, so to speak.

SS

AnthonyB
11-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Bruce, order an RCBS 45-230CM mold for that 1911 and never look back. It will be more accurate than needed, feeds smoothly, and hits hard. Tony

DOUBLEJK
11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Expectations????

Dang lost em somewheres down the long road a lifes bumps n curves....

Now my expectations er fully fullfilled when I fire up that pot n them silver relaxation pills start pilin' up.....:)

Cast...Size n Lube...Reload...Shoot em up...A simple n easy ta follow cycle a life...
One a Life's Better Slow Down n Enjoy Endever's...

Course I Expect em ta arrive Everytime on Address n Fully Capable a Completin' the job they was sent ta perform...:Fire:

Hmmmmm' sometimes they don't tho....complications have set in...:confused:

Then a little Beagle here n a little Buckshot there n a Pinch a Bass n a TS. a Felix n a Tweak a Bruce n a Shot a AL n a Dose a Waksupi er a Dash a Flood n a Cup a Joe n it's woes er cured er laid ta rest...

Thank's Bass
Now Ya went n uncomplicated my life agin'....:-D

bmblong
11-03-2006, 10:48 AM
AnthonyB,

Right now I've got a Lee TL 230gr truncated cone. I just bought a lubrisizer and will be purchasing a new 230gr mold. I'll take your suggestion under advisement. I really like the 6 hole Lee molds though.

cbrick
11-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm with SharpsShooter, performance & accuracy. Economy? I don't think so, I could shoot condom bullets for the next several years for what I have invested in casting equipment. For most of my guns I give no consideration to cast or jacketed loads and heat treat for an alloy that will do what I need and not what someone else says a cast bullet should do. That said, I am not shooting any of the 3000+ fps cartridges. My 308 rifle shoots the SAECO #307 at 2400 fps and groups 2" at 150 meters, zero leading. Still working this load up and don't know yet how far it can be pushed.

A few years ago in Handgun Silhouette I won the NRA California State Revolver Championship with a 60X60 shooting against some of the sports top revolver shooters. That was pretty satisfying but what gave me the best feeling then and still does today, everyone of those shooters used the best condom bullet money could buy and my cast bullet whooped em all.

My FA 357 scoped from bench shoots a 190 gr cast at 1550 fps into 2" to 2 1/2" at 150 meters. For me its accuracy and performance. Wuss loads . . . No thanks. Condom bullets? I don't think so. In revolver shooting I couldn't afford the handicap of condom bullets.

Put me in the long range handgun accuracy/performance column.

Rick

JSH
11-03-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't know where to start on this.
First off I was told by several egg spurts, for years that CB's were just for practice or informal shooting without concerns for accuracy.
Well that is a fairly large load of crap, though it took me about 15+ years to find that out for myself.
I started on this journey with just the thoughts of the fun of shooting my Dads 03 without hurting the bore. I did that for a while. After several collectors looked at it and made offers, it is a safe queen. I have since purchased another for fun and games.
After the rifle, I thought maybe of trying to shoot IHMSA with CB's just for fun. First time out, 40x40+10 if memory serves me right. Now, what chaps me is being able to keep doing that on a consistant basis. Actually I fear I may be making this to hard if truth be known.
I have since shot very few FLGC's at a match. I just feel I try to push anything under a 30 cal to hard. That and the small projectile seems to be finicky at times. But on that note after reading some of the .22 CF threads...................

My number one thoughts on CB's. If they won't shoot as good as a FLGC, I want to know why. I was lucky enough to have a father that was a a tinkerer, is that a word?
So far CB's have surpassed any of my expecatations. They have been much easier for me to find a load that will shoot as well as I want it too.
My son has started shooting quite a bit. In this day and age the youngsters don't get near enough of this IMHO. So if I can save a $ here and there and let him shoot to his hearts content with good quality ammo, I guess economy falls in here.
I have enough confidence in CB's no further than I have gotten into them that I would like to try some of the local CB BR shoots in the future.
I am a pistol shooter for the most part. A fine rifle will get more than a double look from me though. My Br project has set on the back burner for just about long enough. I need to get that into gear. Have all the parts and pieces, but a trigger and a stock. The funds have been going towards moulds, GC's and such.
Jeff

LET-CA
11-04-2006, 01:22 AM
For me casting was a logical extension of the enjoyment I got from reloading. I originally started reloading as a way to reduce costs enough to allow me to shoot more often. Now I find I don't mind spending money as much becuase I am enjoying the hobby so much more. My children are now adults so the financial pressures are somewhat reduced. I've been delighted to find that I get great accuracy when I do my part. In short, casting for me is like cooking from scratch. You wouldn't think much of a chef who used mixes for all his special dishes. . .

:Fire:

PatMarlin
11-04-2006, 01:46 AM
I enjoy the challenge, I enjoy the science. I enjoy knowing that I have my whole life to look forward pushing the cast envelope on every one of my firearms.

Cheap? I don't think so. I like many here have a ton of dollars invested. But, in the long run, it certainly will pay and be cheap.

I enjoy taking game, with clean kills and eating right up to the whole. I look forward to shooting my Trapdoor at long range, and I have several hundred yards of powerlines clearing close by. Just got to get my Rokon running... :mrgreen:

Ron
11-04-2006, 02:22 AM
My expectations regarding cast boolits is basically that I can keep casting them to a consistant weight and size. My main objective with cast boolits is to be able to shoot them as accuarately as my revolver does. After seeing what my revolver does when it is locked down in a Ransom Rest and what my best effort is at the same distance, I have a long way to go.

Apart from this, I enjoy the loneliness of the boolit caster where I can be with my own thoughts and when I voice my opinion there is nobody to answer back!

Sven Dufva
11-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Moore speed then jacket bullets in 357 mag and 44 mag.
Barrels be accurate for moore bullets.( longer life off barrels)
Lower cost if i cast plenty of bullets (very plenty).
I use my bullets in competision so i expect 4" or better on 100 yards.

Shuz
11-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I started casting over 40 years ago because it was a way for a GI making only $85.00/mo (and all he could eat in the chow hall) to shoot a lot for a little $. I still enjoy the economics of cast boolits, and now cast for the .250 Sav, 7 mm TCU,7mm-08, .300 Sav,.30-06, .35 Whelen, and the .44 mag from whence this all started. I can't remember the last time I fired a jacketed round with any of those cartridges. I have hunted with the .35 Whelen and the .44 mag (revolver)and taken deer,elk and moose with them. So far, the .44mag has been been used only on deer. I hope to shoot a deer this year with a composite boolit that I have been experimenting with.

I also enjoy shooting cast in CBA competitions, so I have always strived for an accurate round. I guess I really enjoy competing or hunting with a boolit that I've made myself.

DPD
11-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Cbrick got a 2" group at 150 meters from his 308 with the Saeco #307, and a sub
2.5" group at 150 meters with a FA 357. Pretty impressive in my opinion. I was just wondering, what are the cast boolit benchrest records for 100 and 200 yds?
They do have CBA bench matches don't they?
I would think it takes a lot of patience and careful record keeping to develop a
component combination that will put 5 CBs inside of 2 inches at 150 plus yards.
My hats off to Cbrick. If he's following the thread, maybe he'll tell us what rifle,
primer, powder, case , seating depth (on or off the lands), etc. he narrowed his
load down to.
Thanks,
Don

cbrick
11-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Yes DPD, the CBA does have CB BR matches but I have never competed in one. I have little doubt that most of their top shooters would get a good chuckle out a 2" group.

The 308 that shot these groups is a TCR 83 that I picked up used for $300.00. It included a Tasco 18X vari scope, dies (old RCBS), SAECO mould # 311 and about 300 rounds of IMI brass, most of it loaded with # 311. That I know of I am the third owner and in reality it could be more. Its well fired but the bore is bright, shiny and smooth. The rifling looks good.

When working up loads I normally group on the handgun silhouette swinger turkey at 150 meters and measure the groups center to center of the widest shots.

I am probably not doing much that most of the bullet casters here looking for decent groups aren't doing. I draw the line on defective bullets and to me the worst defect is any defect at all on or near the base. Bullet inspection begins while opening the sprue. If a bullet base isn't perfect its no better than the sprues that go back in the pot. There is no easier time to see a rounded bullet base than while its still in the mould.

SAECO # 307 in the 308 engraves the rifling nearly to the driving band but isn't so tight as to pull the bullet when opening the action. Bullet is seated with the front lube groove well out of the neck and the bullet base flush with the bottom of the neck. OAL is 2.750". V V N-135 @ 36.0 gr., Fed # 210. Alloy is WW+3% virgin bar tin heat treated to 18 BHN. As cast bullet dia, is .3095" and I sized it nose first in a Star lubrisizer w/ .309" die that sizes this alloy to .3089". The bore slug measures .3075". I got extremely lucky in that this mould drops bullets with this alloy at very nearly a perfect fit in this rifle.

Brass was once fired Federal factory rounds. Fireformed in my rifle with a different load (and my normal load). Once fireformed it is neck sized with Redding Comp bushing neck sizer with a bushing .0015" smaller than loaded neck diameter. Bullets were seated with Redding Comp seater die. Primer pockets and flash holes uniformed with Sinclair tools. Brass was flared with a Lyman "M" die plug that measures .30645” and does not expand the brass, just slightly flares it. Lube is LBT Blue.

This V V N-135 load is an experimental load and I have fired three shot groups with it twice and both times the three shots were nearly but not quite touching on the steel 150 meter target. Scoped from the bench of coarse. I normally shoot 5 shot groups but didn't know if I was going to get any leading.

Now for revolver loading I get down right serious. I should introduce my best friend, his first name is Shiney, his last name is Shooter. Mr Shiney Shooter is a Freedom Arms model 83 9" 357 Mag. Shiney won the California State NRA Long Range Revolver Championshp and he was kind enough to let me hold him while he did it.:-D

DPD, did I answer all of your questions :)

Rick

Maven
11-05-2006, 01:29 PM
All, CBrick & JSL's views are close to my own. Casting is hardly inexpensive or effortless compared to reloading with j-word bullets. However, it's a labor of love, which pays handsomely if one is persistent, curious and a bit of a perfectionist throughout the casting, sizing (?) and loading process. Bass's question made me think about the pioneering CB work of both E.H. Harrison and the Lyman Corp. especially the idea that CB accuracy generally wouldn't equal that of those other projectiles. One has to wonder whether our expectations have been tainted by that position. In addition, there were equipment design issues, e.g., sizing dies without a tapered leade, improperly dimensioned bullet molds (bore riders for the most part and not only those made by Ideal/Lyman*), etc., which didn't exactly enhance the accuracy of the finished product. Ironic isn't it that shooters in the last century could achieve enviable accuracy with swaged, paper patched and cast bullets? (See Ned Roberts' "The Muzzle-Loading Caplock Rifle").

To answer Bass's question directly, my expectations are pretty straighforward. I strive to achieve the same level of accuracy in my rifles (including "as issued" milsurps) and revolvers as I can with j-word bullets. For the most part, I have succeeded, but it has been a challenge finding the "right" CB, sizing diameter and OAL for each. Powder selection & charge wt., by comparison, have been easier. Thus far, the Type 56 SKS has presented the greatest challenge in that it will shoot into 1" @ 50yd. with CB's, but only 3"-4" @ 100yd. with the same CB & powder charge even though I once put 5 into 1.5" with it at that range: Something about a blind squirrel finding an acorn comes to mind here.

*I have since rid myself of a Cramer (Saeco) RG-4 that was underdimensioned as well as a Ly. #311334 & #311284. The nose of my #311291 is also undersized, but performs surprisingly well in my Finn. Nagant & K-31, but not my '06 or .30-30.

cbrick
11-05-2006, 02:48 PM
However, it's a labor of love, which pays handsomely if one is persistent, curious and a bit of a perfectionist throughout the casting, sizing (?) and loading process.

Maven sure nailed it there. It is very much a labor of love and a lot of shooters that I shoot with think I'm nuts for what I put into my casting. Most of them are quiet and perplexed when cast bullets beat them in a match. H*ll, anybody can buy a bullet, it takes a labor of love to make one that will do exactly what you want and need and there lies the fascination, the challenge, the fun.

especially the idea that CB accuracy generally wouldn't equal that of those other projectiles. One has to wonder whether our expectations have been tainted by that position.

I think that a great many bullet casters and most all non-bullet casters expectations have been influenced greatly by numerous "old wives tales". Their expectations are far lower from the get go and they either give up or settle for far less than they should.

To answer Bass's question directly, my expectations are pretty straighforward. I strive to achieve the same level of accuracy in my rifles (including "as issued" milsurps) and revolvers. but it has been a challenge

Most (but not all) of my casting and loading and load development for the past several years has been for long range revolver. My expectations here are simple, cast bullets will out perform condom bullets in revolvers. Period. And they do but yes, its a challenge. There's that labor of love thing again :-D.

Rick

milkman-06
11-12-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm just getting into this challenge. I expect accuracy and the power to do the job assigned at long ranges. I realize that the game of finding the answers will take the rest of my life.
Russ N
milkman-06

xpshooter
11-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I am also new to this casting scene and I don't really have any set goals yet. I

realize cast boolits are cheaper which is good, and I will start feeding my

revolvers cast boolits because it's easier on them. But I don't know if I should

expect cast boolits to shoot as good as the condom ones out of my XP's at longer

ranges.

Char-Gar
11-13-2006, 03:59 PM
I grew tired of hunting some years ago.

I got tired of making rifles print small a groups with those dreaful little yellow thingies some years ago also.

Shooting sports that keep me interested years ago, became routine, boring and child's play.

I shoot cast bullets because it is the ultimate challenge for the handloader/rifleman.
I can see no end to learning and trying to get the bullets to play follow the leader through the same hole. It is the Holy Grail for a lifetime as a student and practitioner of the rifle.

My expectations is for a rifle to give it's very best accuracy with cast bullets. This changes from rifle to rifle, but I won't settle for anything less that the best obtainable with that particular rifle.

Bullshop
11-13-2006, 07:05 PM
What do you mean by expectations? You mean like cash back, or bonus flying miles, or free long distance minutes or sumthin like that?
Dang !!! I didnt know I was sposed ta have expectations, I thought I was just havin fun! Now ya went and ruined it for me
I started huntin and shootin cuz thats the way I was brought up. I wanted to shoot more cuz its fun. I started loading so I could have more fun for the $ then started casting for the same reason. I started sellin boolits to get the money for the stuff I couldnt make, primers, brass, and powder.
What I expect is the same level of fun no matter what collor the booilt/bullet is. There is no reason to accept or expect a lower level of accuracy from any gun because it its shooting a boolit and not a bullet.
The loads will likely be different but the material the projectile is made from is not what determans how accurate a fire arm will be.
If I were to have an expectation it would be that I can expect to have to PUT IN MY TIME with any gun in load development, and tuning of the arm and ammo to include casting perfection to achieve an acceptable level of performance to satisfy my needs with that particular arm.
BIC/BS

Bass Ackward
11-19-2006, 04:46 PM
I waited to see what would shake out when this finally died. I was surprised to see that everyone thought I was talking about bullets and shooting. Nobody even mentioned their expectations for this board or the catagories.

There is definately a long term trend for casting to be cheap. Cheap to shoot more or just cheap all together. That was the nature of things 50, 40, 30 years ago and it remains so today. So I doubt that will ever change.

What is encouraging is to read and see the willingness of folks to consider and use cast for hunting. Especially amongst those that are quiet for other posting. I wonder how much credit for that can go to the board / site?

While not a lot of people mentioned long range or competitions, I never really exected them too. Competition is something that is not really advanced by this group. And the people that do tend to be secretive about what they find that works for them. Nature of the beast. And .... there are other places for that too.

But I see people continuously helping people. Why even professional casters helping the competition. Not sure that would happen too many other places.

I want to use this opportunity to thank those that dedicate their time and put forth an effort here every day so that what ever floats your boat, can. Whether that be moderators or anything else that we take for granted. Thanks guys for an opportunity to advance what I find interesting in this world. Much appreciated.

BruceB
11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
These last two posts from Bullshop and Bass have nailed it down for me.

Further words from me would be a waste of space.

VERY well said, gentlemen!!

cbrick
11-19-2006, 06:36 PM
While not a lot of people mentioned long range or competitions, I never really exected them too. Competition is something that is not really advanced by this group. And the people that do tend to be secretive about what they find that works for them. Nature of the beast. And .... there are other places for that too.

Bass Ackward, I agree with most of what you said except this paragraph. 200 meter handgun silhouette is the majority of my shooting and I "only" shoot cast and have done so with championship winning master class scores at times. I pass on any and all casting info that I can to anyone that will listen. NO secrets here, better competition will only serve to make me work harder at it and learn more.

Oh, one more thing. Saving money? I have yet to cast a bullet to save money. I could shoot condom bullets for the next few years for what I have invested in casting equipment. I cast to make it with my own two hands and make it work.

My expectations? No wussy cast bullet loads in my long range handguns and some of my rifles. If it won't shoot condom load data or better I did something wrong and its time to start over from scratch and make it shoot. I expect the accuracy, momentum and velocity that I loaded the round to do.

Rick

Crash_Corrigan
08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
I fell into casting some years ago to "save money and shoot more".

I found that I am spending more money and shooting less! I cannot believe all the tools, dies, molds and other shooting stuff I have accumulated over the last 15 years. It represents thousands of dollars.

I have fallen into the trap. I love casting boolits. I have bought molds and made boolits for which I have no weapon. I found myself saving brass for calibers for which I have no guns. Then I go out and get the guns to match the boolits for which I have molds and cases. It goes around and around.

I recently backed into a deal for .303 SMLE. The gun was cheap. Then I had to have reloading dies, boolits molds and cases to go with it. That costs bucks.

I load .32's for my buddy's 327 Magnum
Cast and load to feed my .30 Carbine Ruger
Cast and load for .303 SMLE
Cast and load .223 for my CZ 527
Cast and load .266 for my Sweede Mauser
I have one .38 Revolter, two 357 Mag revolters, a 45 Colt revolter, two .45 ACP pistols and two 9 MM Pistols.

I just went out and spent over $2,000 for a good quality gun safe to keep these toys in. It never stops.

I blame it on this forum. That's right 45 Nut, Buckshot and all the rest of you guys...you have me addicted....I have the fever.....If I am not casting or reloading then I am on the computer learning more about it and getting further addicted.

I don't even have time to go the range and shoot this stuff off. When I get there all I want to do is to empty the casings so I can fill them again.....IT IS A SICKNESS
AND I DO NOT WANT IT TO STOP.....I AM INCURABLE.......

missionary5155
08-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Well I started casting with the purchase of my.45 muzzle loader in 1974. My dad told me that was the only way to have round boolits to launch. I did not know any better. Then there came a .357 Dan Wesson that shot cast so well I bought a mold for that. As a weapon was added .. whatever caliber... it was just natural to get another mold... another sizer die...
As time went along reading Reloader Magazine I realised I was just beginning into the wonderful world of investigating the Real World of Accurate Lead Boolits.
To me there just is not any reason to get into shooting without lead. If a .243 wont do the job then I move up through the power sceptrum... .30.. .375... 45... 50 and finally "ol Thumper" .685 ! I have not seen anything anyone of those lead Boolits cannot permanently discombluberate ! ( I have not seen a Blue Whale yet )

badgeredd
08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
To be honest, I had no expectations when I first started reading here. Now I think the expectations I have for myself and cast boolits is for fun and enjoyment. As for the website/forum, I feel this is the best shooting/reloading/boolit casting site on the web. The primary reason, the members. I have learned a lot both online and off from members. The main vein of all of the conversations and threads are of congeniality and helpfulness. If that changed, I'd likely not come back to this site on an almost daily basis as I do now. You guys have put a lot of fun back into shooting for me and I thank one and all for that. You also caused me to spend money (a lot less with cast boolits) that I wouldn't have spent otherwise. I think:-D I thank you for that too. Doubt that SWMBO agrees, but that's my cross to bear.

My expectations for the use of cast boolits? Well I have already found that a 2" group from most rifles is definitely do-able. I have found better accuracy with cast in a few of my handguns. Accuracy in my rifles has been mixed but always fun. I have learned that casting, size, hardness and velocity are all factors that must be considered. I Definitely have achieved hunting accuracy in all of the rifles I have tried cast boolits in so far. I still shoot my high velocity varmit jword varmit rounds, but even that is being affected by this cast fever. NOW I have plans for a 300 yard target to clang metal with several of my cast loads

In essense, I'd have to say I have gained far more from than I have given to the forum, and it has exceeded all of my expectations. A fine site made that way by its members. I'm proud to have the company of you all.

Edd :drinks::drinks::drinks:

Molly
08-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Great Expectations eh? Might make a good book title. But you aren't alone! I got into casting to save money and shoot more too. And in addition to the same woes you recite, I am hidden on three sides by floor to ceiling bookcases, and they aren't empty either! I have over two and ahlaf feet of Handloader magazines alone. Not to mention all the Gun digests except for a couple of the very first. Not to mention ...

Molly

RP
08-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Well after reading these post I see that nobody said anything about if you have a 357 pistol it only makes sense to have a 357 rifle so then your 44 has to have its big brother. I got that now iam looking for the matchs to the other firearms. I do make a effort not to go to gunshows and gunshops because i always seem to find something I got to have. Like the other day I stopped at the gunstore to check to see if they needed more shot which is my partners job and picked up a 45acp after it was paid for the clerk showed me a 45LC rifle I somehow got that one too now i got to have a pistol or two to go with it.

WildmanJack
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Economics and fun are right up there, but seldom do I come to this board ( and that's EVERY DAY multiple times) and not LEARNED something!!! So I guess I have to put education up there with the rest. Although I have cast boolits in the past for a number of years, I was just melting down swaged boolits and recasting them in a H&G 68. The swaged ones were so dirty and not as accurate at the H&G 68 boolits. Now I'm using ww's and any lead I can get my hands on so the education I have gotten here is beyond measure. I never before worried about casting temp ( now I do), I never worried about lube, used what ever I could get ( now I do), never worrried about what my barrel slugged at...( now I really do). So I thank all of you for the knowledge you have so generously shared with me as well as the rest of the people on this great board...
Here's to ya'll......

Jack

Blackwater
09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
This year is my 40th as a bullet caster. Dang how time flies! I originally started when a college student, and cast so I could afford to shoot. I was getting WW's for free, and powder and primers were cheap enough even I could afford them. When I wasn't working, in class or studying, I was casting and loading. I shot about 35,000 rds. my last year in college, and that was just in .45 ACP and .44 mag.

In the beginning, it was a cost/cheapness thing.

Since then, I've slowly increased my expectations from my cast bullets, but I never really expected too terrible much from them until I found this forum. Now, I'm going to be trying some real accuracy/power stuff and see how far I can go with it with several of my guns.

I can also forsee the possibility that we MAY, just possibly, be limited ONLY to what we can produce for ourselves in the future, so ... I guess you could say that it's also a factor against some real possibilities that none of us want to consider or talk about, but which cannot be rationally discounted out of hand.

Casting is a lot like shooting, or at least being a really top quality rifleman: it's a pursuit that can last a lifetime, keep me out'a too much trouble (hopefully), and keep me puzzled just enough to keep it interesting for the rest of my days. That ain't no small thang, boys!

No_1
09-05-2008, 09:05 PM
WOW!

Where do I start? In the beginning I had no expectations. Being young I never thought a cast boolit could ever equal much less exceed the performance of a jacketed. One day while on vacation with my dad he ask me what I thought of casting boolits? I shot a strange look as I ask him how could they be better than jacketed? His response pretty much was "up until about 100 years ago, everything was cast". Then preceeded to tell me of the great buffalo slaughters and how they were accomplished with cast boolits. This got me thinking. A few years later he gave me my first sizer and let me use his moulds. That is when I joined the first board. I bought a lee pot (still have it), collected ww's then went to work making bullets. In the beginning it was handgun stuff. I was shooting about 500 rounds of 45 ACP per week. Next thing you know here we are 15 or so years later. I have about 200 boolit moulds (160 cataloged moulds & about 40 more that are yet to be cataloged), 4 presses, 3 lube sizers, about 100 size dies, a large bag of top punches, a few tons of lead, some type metal, about 40 lbs of bullet lube (thanks Dad, Lar and Woody44) and about a gazillion gator checks. I am addicted to this hobby to put it lightly. I have tons of books that I constantly read over and over. I have finally figured out that guns are machinery. They work OK from the factory for the average user but for those that are willing to "tune" them (bedding, triggers, sights) they will shoot better. The secret to getting the best accuracy out of them is getting a boolit that fits the chamber. You can find jacketed bullets that are ok but to get the "perfect" boolit you have to cast it. Now I expect nothing but the best from my guns. I have learned a lot on the our boards (the 2 previous and this one). I am sure I will continue to learn.

Thanks Dad for getting me into this and giving me gear, thanks Ken for giving me a home on our board and thanks to the members for sharing their knowlegde.

R.

dukenukum
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I poured my first boolit when I was twelve and got into center fire rifles , my late father had more molds for any ten people . just keeping alive the family tradition .

Bill*
09-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I started to cast for economic reasons but have found it to be a hobby itself. Now I'm reloading and casting as much for the fun as for the ammo (well, almost!)....Bill

AzShooter
09-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Casting is definately not cheap. Consider the cost of a decent pot or two, a good sizer and sizing dies, a variety of molds, the cost of reloading equipment etc.

But casting is very relaxing. No one is allowed to bother me when I cast or reload. I can also cast enough in one session to last a match or two which is all I do each month now.

For my rifles, I cast to find out what will work best in them. Shooting Mosin Nagants, each one is different, as are all rifles, but each Mosin has a different barrel size ranging from my Finn 39 with a nice .3085 to my largest MN with .315. I now have four different moulds for these five rifles and four sizers for my Star Sizer.

I cast for accuracy first. I may not get the tightest groups but I'm always looking for them. I considre under 2 inches at 100 yards to be my goal.

I weight each bullet I cast and segregat them into 1 grain increments so that everything in the lot is + or - .5 grains. I separate the boxes and shoot them from lightest to heaviest box, then cast more.

For pistol shooting I only have a .38 at this time. Go rid of all my other revolvers so I could by more Mosins. LOL. Again, my goal is accuracy and I expect under 2 inches at 25 yards with the propper bullet/ powder combination.

I use a great majority of wheel weights that I buy from E-bay. Can't seem to find a friendly tire dealer here that will sell me old wheel weights. I add either pure lead to soften the alloy or Lino type to make it harder depending on which weapon I'm using it in. I have three pots to keep my mixes separate.

I still don't know if I shoot to reload or reload to shoot. It's all fun.

Boerrancher
09-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I can't believe that I some how missed this thread in the past. I guess it is because there is so much information here, and it takes a lot of effort to glean it all, probably years of effort to be honest.

Thirty-one years ago when I started casting as a kid in the basement shop of a friend of my father's, I had no expectations, other than the fact that Dad told me he wasn't going to do all the work anymore just so I could shoot. So I would sit at the loading bench and either load or cast while Dad and Don worked on building their newest rifle. As a 7 year old boy, I didn't know nor care about one ragged hole accuracy. I just wanted something that would go bang and kill a coyote inside of 50 yards, as it was my Job to run the fence line after storms and make a mental note of where and what repairs it needed for Granddad while he was actually doing most of the work. I walked these hills ridges and valleys of the old farm packing around a little Marlin 357 rifle that Dad's friend had given me. By the time I hit my early teens, dad had started letting me use and shoot his old Flat Top Black Hawk 357 as it was a perfect companion gun for my little Marlin rifle. Now I needed twice as many boolits, because I had another gun.

It wasn't until college that I really ramped up my shooting and started to care a bit more about accuracy, but even then it was still just minute of paper plate. It was during this time that I realized that I could shoot cast boolits with a good deal of accuracy if I worked at it. In my college years I wore out a couple of hand guns and a rifle. I hadn't started shooting cast in a rifle yet, because the Seirra plant was near by and the J words were to easy to come by. I had also convinced myself that cast would never be in the same league as the J words for accuracy, so hence I never give it much thought as to shooting cast out of my rifles. I didn't know or understand what I was missing out on. I muddled through the next 13 years only seating cast on handgun ammo.

It wasn't until after I got back and half way healed up from my excursion to Afghanistan, that I discovered the need to figure out how to shoot cast boolits out of my rifles. I was no longer able to work a real job, and couldn't afford to buy J words any more for my rifles. I could buy a Lee mould for the price of a box of 100 bullets. That was also when I found this site. I lurked here for a long time reading all I could and realized that with a little effort I could do better than Minute of paper plate. I started trying some of the things I had read about others here doing, and my groups started getting smaller, and I was able to push the boolits faster.

In a couple of my rifles I am pushing J word velocities with my cast boolits and shooting better than minute of paper plate at 100 yards. I owe the good groups that I have shot and posted on other threads to Ken and to all of you. If it hadn't been for this site and the people who make it what it is, I would most likely still be shooting minute of paper plate and not even trying to do the things that are required to shoot better. I thank each and every one of you who have posted here and I especially thank Ken for creating a place where all of this vast wealth of information can be collected and stored.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

357maximum
09-06-2008, 02:04 PM
You know I have been over 90% of the threads in this place and I still have one nagging question I cannot answer.

Do I cast/handload to shoot, or do I shoot to cast/handload? Do you ever go out back with an iron and make brass?

My expectations of cast has always been to effectively do what I can with a jacket on, but without the jacket on.

I did not know until I landed here that I could actually be MORE effective with cast than j-words....thanks to you all, especially that stocky redneck gent with glasses that originally sent me down the path of extreme enlightenment.:Fire:

Michael

missionary5155
09-06-2008, 05:17 PM
I am a bow hunter. Been doing it since my dad got my first when I was 14.. a 45 # fiberglass Bear. I soon learned the absolute importance of precision accuracy. Sometimes all ya get is a 3 inch hole between limbs to stick a rabbit. Anyway I figure if my revolver or rifle cannot give me precision to do the same ... then I will just keep searching for a better combination. If I cannot yet find that precision then I will just lay that tool aside and use another. I care not to loose any target for any reason. That may happen but it will not be because I launched an unproven pill haphazardly.
I tend to use the softest possible mix. I am not to concered about a little lead in a barrel. Hunting I generally fire one shot... Launch one shaft. High Velocity is not an issue as I use large enough calibers with heavy enough boolits that I know it will take care of needs. where I hunt is river bottom thick stuff. I like being real close.

45 2.1
09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
My expectations of cast has always been to effectively do what I can with a jacket on, but without the jacket on.
I did not know until I landed here that I could actually be MORE effective with cast than j-words....thanks to you all, especially that stocky redneck gent with glasses that originally sent me down the path of extreme enlightenment.:Fire:Michael

Hahahahahaha........Thats the first time i've been described that way..............Thanks Neener.......:mrgreen:

Catshooter
09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I read Keith in 1969 or 70.

Is there another answer to your question? [smilie=1: :castmine:

Cat

leftiye
09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Sooooo, Catshooter, Then minute of cat is good enough? (is for me)

357maximum
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Hahahahahaha........Thats the first time i've been described that way..............Thanks Neener.......:mrgreen:

I believe it is I who owes you a ......Thank You

spurrit
09-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm just cheap as hell, and like making my own stuff. Plus, I have a buddy that keeps me supplied with reloading gear in exchange for ammo. Casting makes it cheap enough for me to shoot as much as I care to, and gives me something to do while I heal up from back surgery.

One thing I really enjoy about the economy of casting and reloading is that if a new shooter wants help, I can afford to let him burn my ammo, and save a little pocket money for his next trip to the range. This also convinces new shooters that shooters are nice people who are willing to help, and encourages them to become "one of us" and vote as such.

IcerUSA
09-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Expectations , Hmm , for general reloading it is defiantly cheaper than factory loads , which is why I reload .

Now as far as cast boolits go , cheap does not apply till after a few 1000's of boolits are cast , the equipment alone be it Lee , or any of the other good stuff out there has been payed for by the savings of casting your own . Hope that made sense . :)

For me it has been a thing , back in the 70's I had 2 rifles and a shotgun , an old sportsterized 1917 Eddystone in 30-06 , it came to me with the receiver milled and the front sight gone , the old mil spec stock butchered but it did shoot good , I had an old Bushnell Sportchief w/popup post put on it for deer season . Picked up a Monte Carlo type stock for it in the semi finished state and letted it for the receiver and gave it a nice linseed finish and fitted it to me , shot a little better , fast forward a few years as family took precedence , finally able to finish this gun the way I wanted it to be , smoothed up the metal so it had a nice sheen to it , cut the barrel to get rid of the front sight slot and and recrowned it to look like the original crown , mine you this is all done by hand back then , labor of love thing again , had a new ramp sight and a nice ramper blade sight put on it after a really nice hot blueing job was done to it . Remounted the scope and boy oh boy did it ever look sweet to me , finally after so many years it was done , but now to see if I had messed up the way it shot . Had some factory 150 gn soft points that I had used in it before and I had picked up another box plus there was some 180 gners there so I thought why not . I think it only took about 6 rounds to get back on target and a few more to fine tune it . OK now to see what the 180's will do , WOW , same POA , no way , fine I though , thats cool , year or so later while at a gun shop I spot these 200 gn 30-06 box of ammo , hmmm , got to try em , set up a target as I knew what the 150 qnd 180's did I figured I wound have to adjust the old Bushnell to get on target , first shot , hmm , must have pulled it as it shot same as the others did , well after 9 more rounds it finally came to me that this rifle was shooting all 3 weights at the same POA at 100 yds , very nice I thought . but remember thru all this time I was thinking that if I could someday be able to reload that this would be the cats meow and if I could cast too for it too , things in a mans mind .

Life intervenes and I lost that rifle and the others , fast forward about 18 - 20 years , couple years ago I was finally able to purchase a rifle , so I bought 2 , a 7mm Mag and a 22-250 , ahh , now I can get into reloading and from there it snow balled, 17 HMR , 22 for the grandkids to shoot , 45 ACP then another one , 9mm , couple 30-30's , 32 WS , 35 Rem , 223 single shot , 44 Mag pistol , 444 Marlin , 45-70 Marlin GG , 45-70 Buffalo Classic , another 44 Mag and I started casting , found this site , learned and still learning , expectations ? I don't think I really have any as life in general encompasses it all , I strive to get the best I'm capable of as with age we as people suffer from it , but if I would have been able to do the reloading and casting back when , I think it would have failed for me and I'm am very much in debt to all those here that have made this life long dream a reality , 45nut for the insight to chase his dream and everyone that has contributed to it to make this site what it is today , most if not all the myths have been broken about cast boolits and their limits , this site attests to that .

Hope my ramblings don't offend anyone , a little history and a small notation as of today and the appreciation of all the people here .

Realistic Expectations for my Cast Boolits would be to be able to enjoy this endeavor as long as my body will allow and too keep learning in hopes of passing it along to another to continue well into the future .

Keith

Catshooter
09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
leftiye,

Yep, MOC is close enough for me. The H & G #68 works well on them too. (.45 200 grain semi-wadcutter.)

Cat

atr
12-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I just enjoy the process of casting and handloading,,,to me thats almost reward in itself

I also like to cook up an accurate round, accuracy is important to me....at 100 yards I need to be able to put the rounds into a 5" dia using standard peep sights....with a scope Im happy with a 2" diameter spread.....

largom
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I have been into shooting cast about 6 months now and I already have 4 lead pots and over 50 molds. So I guess I didn't do it to save money. I have handloaded J-bullets for almost 60 years and currently have a LARGE supply on hand.
I got into cast boolits for the challenge, satisfaction [made it myself], and a hedge against Gov. controls.
My expectations are to out perform J-bullets at a realistic range [200 yds. max]. I may not always succeed, but what fun I am having trying.
My expectations for this board was for me to learn a little something. Those expectations have been surpassed beyond measurement. I have been on numerous other forums and after a while left because I did not like what I saw. I have learned so much here I can't wait to log on, first thing in morning and last thing at night with a couple of in-betweens.
You guys are great, your bait worked, I am totally trapped.
Larry

Catshooter
12-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Did you not see the sign "Abandon all hope yee who enter here."?

Cat

SCIBUL
12-10-2008, 02:55 AM
When I join the army 24 years ago I did my first pistol and rifle shooting. My father was a hunter but only had a shotgun and I wasn't aware about rifled guns. That first experience had been very impressing to me and I wanted to increase my results. I bought a 22LR semi auto rifle and began to train. 3 years later I bought my first 357 revolver (RUGER GP 100) but one box of factory ammunition cost me 10 percent of my pay... I had to reload ! So I began to do with a friend who teached me the basis. I began to shoot my own loads but without information, only thinking that there was only one load and that the results I had then was "the norm". Revelation came when I bought a varmint Remington 22-250. Nobody knew this cartridge around me and I began to experiment differents loads. Then I found that I could increase accuracy with changing powder charges and J-bullets... I was hooked. I began to search more and more informations and tried by myself. I dit my first boolit when I started to shoot black powder guns. At this time I was married and our fist boy just arrived. I had to sell my guns and money was a chalenge. The black powder handgun was the only one I could then afford and home made bullets costed nothing... I learned a lot with this gun. I realised that I could shoot more accurately than modern shooters who where shooting factory or self averaged reloaded ammunition.
Now my boys have grown. I always have my BP pistol... and several other [smilie=1:. My first "modern" home made boolit was made for my 45 pistol when nobody around me was able to sell me commercial cast bullets :twisted:. Since then :castmine: and I'm independent ! My intends are to obtain the finest accuracy I can from both rifles and pistols or revolvers I own. The vast majority of my guns haven't shoot a jacketed bullet and probably never will, even for hunting ! The only exception until now where the 22 CF... But I tried to play with molds :mrgreen:. My wish now is to write a little manual for french shooters like me who like to do their own but since I found this site, I learn, learn and learn again... And the manual is more and more complete...
So thanks to all of you for the knowledge we can share here. IMO we, castboolits shooters are the more independant and misunderstood guys in our shooting world. But independance have no price so :castmine:

unclebill
12-10-2008, 09:39 PM
so i can shoot more.
thats the only reason.

jeepmor
12-26-2008, 03:34 AM
I'm thinking about it so I can tinker more. I have reloading down pretty well, this would just add to the shopgeek/gearhead joy factor. As an engineer, I can find lots of cool toys to monitor my processes.

Plus, I was thinking a 45-70 rifle would be fun. The bulk manufacture would be pistol boolits.

45&30-30
01-04-2009, 12:40 AM
I have to admit my expectations for cast bullets was low price, just like reloading was. Looking back I realize I picked up some beliefs that were not exactly true, I think mostly from reading the gun rags, like cast bullets are only for pistols and you'll get a lot of lead in your barrel. Now I expect low price, 1" at a one hundred yards accuracy from a rifle and no leading. I am still working on the last two, but I am new at it.

LeadThrower
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I haven't been casting for too long, but this site got me into it. I wanted to reload to save money and then found CastBoolits. A whole new world opened up and I knew it was for me. I immediately bought the necessary hardware.

My expectations of my cast loads are to hit the vitals of whatever game animal I might go after and have fun at the range when I'm not able to go hunting. Like others have already stated, I take a great deal of satisfaction from reloading my own cast boolits.

My expectations of CastBoolits were to "learn some things" and the site has gone way beyond that. Thanks to everyone here, I'm learning more than I thought possible and have had my interest in casting increase steadily. The information and help here has been so great that I no longer come with expectations, I just soak up what I can and try to apply it at the casting pot, loading bench, and range.

Beaverhunter2
01-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a lot of expectations from casting:

To have fun making stuff
(My wife will tell you that if I can make something and not spend too much more than it would cost to buy- I'm making it. I make traps, tree stands, deer carts, deer carts that turn into tree stands, guns, bows, hunting clothes, etc.

To have fun shooting more at lower $

To get a better understanding of bullets, boolits, guns, and reloading

To get the satisfaction of taking game and getting good groups with projectiles
I made
I haven't taken any game with cast yet. However, I am getting 1" groups with RD350s out of my 1895M at 1750fps. I'm also getting 3" groups out of my .480 Ruger with Lee 325gr FNGC at 50yds (1250fps). That's about as good as I can shoot the SRH so as I improve my pistol shooting, I'm sure the groups will tighten. In any event, I think I'm about ready to take a whitetail next season.

Stuff like this keeps me sane and out of the bars.

Thanks to all on this site for the help and advice!

John

Throwback
01-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Where to begin? Where to end?

Cost - high volume - keeping the odd, the old, the neat, and the obsolete up and running - hunting - the intellectual pursuit of the right balance of velocity, construction, and accuracy to deliver young Bambi to my table. What else are you going to shoot through a rook rifle?

jsizemore
01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I ain't no spray and pray kind of guy. I would watch in awe as folks made some truly spectacular shots. A called head shot on a cat silhouette with a 22lr iron sighted handgun at 200 yards standing offhand. WOW! Shooting muzzleloaders at 1000 yards and keeping all your shots on a 6' target. WOW! The folks I was around that made these shots accept it as commonplace to shoot like this on a regular basis. The common philosophy is' If I don't expect to shoot better, I probably won't'. The muzzleloading guys were all competetive shooters from other disciplines and told me that shooting lead was more technologically demanding then any of the other shooting sports that they had participated. All these guys had been world champions and when they cast their bullets, they knew what the end result would be and weren't guessing. That's what I want.

spurrit
01-21-2009, 09:42 PM
JSizemore,

I'd like to have those expectations too, but .....where to start?

Refraktorius
01-22-2009, 05:14 AM
- save a little money
- be able to "roll my own" for an obsolete calibre
- its fun to roll my own!
- "user friendly" low recoil loads with cast boolits for recreational shooting and for learning the kids to shoot

3006guns
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Military surplus bolt action rifles.......period. I have quite a few and supplies of surplus ammo are starting to dry up, not to mention escalating in price (bought 3000 rds of 8mm Mauser for about $200.00 w/shipping just 6 years ago). The "good old days" of just a few years ago are ending and shooting cast is a really good idea. Much cheaper/ability to custom tailor loads/easy on the shooter/easy on a gun that might be over 100 years old.

I also load for all of my handguns for the same reasons. I've "converted" many a new shooter by just showing them the economics. I ask them what that box of store bought "drug store" ammo cost and then tell them what my cost is. They get interested very quickly. Of course then they start stopping by the tire shops before I get there..................:???:

jerrold
01-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I started out in casting just a few years ago. Had always liked the idea of having and shooting one of the old BPCR rifles that I thought of as buffalo rifles. In the early 2000's a fellow down at the "Shamrock" showed me a BPCR that he had.
That set me on fire. A few years later when i decided to get out of Benchrest competition, I sold one of my Benchrest rifles and bought a1874 Sharps (reproduction) and casting equipment to go with it.
My expectations, To enjoy a new experience with black powder, cast lead, and the old buffalo rifles was fully met. Now I shoot it as much or more than all my other rifles combined...:coffeecom:redneck:

jsizemore
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
JSizemore,

I'd like to have those expectations too, but .....where to start?

Good equipment, and a whole bunch ah quality trigger time.

spurrit
01-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Got those, now what?

jsizemore
01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Got those, now what?

Well if you can shoot itty-bitty groups each time out, then start backn' up. When the wind starts blowin', figure out what it takes to hit the middle.

Bill Church
01-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry to be the old fuddy duddy around here, but I wunder how they keep from leading up the barrel with all the cast lead they shoot? Personally, I prefer a jacketed bullet with a lead soft tip. Anything faster than an old 30-40 craig is bad about striopping the coating of and filling up the groovesd in the barrell. But then I am usually called alot of names and have pretty thick skin ( along with a few skind knuckles),

spurrit
01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Bill, leading can be removed very easily. ....and the caliber you're referring to, I'm sure, is the 30-40 Krag

waksupi
01-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Sorry to be the old fuddy duddy around here, but I wunder how they keep from leading up the barrel with all the cast lead they shoot? Personally, I prefer a jacketed bullet with a lead soft tip. Anything faster than an old 30-40 craig is bad about striopping the coating of and filling up the groovesd in the barrell. But then I am usually called alot of names and have pretty thick skin ( along with a few skind knuckles),

Just need to learn the game a bit, Bill. I shot several hundred rounds of cast through my .223 at 2670 fps, with no leading at all. Groups ran about 1 3/8" average.

buck1
03-08-2009, 01:52 AM
I couldnt find a .44 bullet I liked for the .444 Marlin. I bought a saeco mold and was hooked! I think I would still cast even if it were to cost more than condums. I just enjoy it , They work great, and I get to make em (lube too)!!...Buck

spurrit
03-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Just need to learn the game a bit, Bill. I shot several hundred rounds of cast through my .223 at 2670 fps, with no leading at all. Groups ran about 1 3/8" average.

Bolt gun, mini, or AR?

TDC
04-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Newbie here... (Well, to this board anyway...)

I take a lot of pride in knowing the firearm I'm using, whether it be a pistol or a rifle, has stocks made by me and has been tweaked, tuned and modified to the best of my ability by my own hands.

I take equal pride in knowing the ammo I shoot has been created from my choice of cases, primers, powder and boolits, then those components carefully assembled with great expectations for good results.

The projectiles I create are made from my own molds, with my own choice of boolit weight, shape, style and configuration using my own choice of alloy.

The success and function of my firearms is totally my responsibility. I can have no excuses and nothing to blame other than myself if my firearms don't perform to minimal expectation. The challenge is real, constant and the results often gratifying.

I've been playing with casting for 35 years and can say I know about 5% of all the info needed to make the "perfect boolit." That's why I'm here and that's why I like this website so much. There is constant curiosity and experimentation with an almost compulsive attempt to make the end cast boolit product better. There are so many bright and knowledgeable people contributing to this subject it draws people like me to this site like moths to a flame.

So keep up the good work all you long time members of this board. Your opinions and helpful suggestions are admired and followed much more than you may sometimes realize by those of us wanting to learn more. Your freely given knowledge and experiences will inspire boolit casting to continue for many more generations....:drinks:

TC

Bloodman14
09-17-2009, 08:18 AM
I started casting as a natural extension of reloading, as well. When .303 Brit. ammo began approaching a buck a round, I started reloading. One thing led to another...
My expectations for cast also match those for J's in my guns; two .303's and an SKS. I want to hit a man-sized target at the ranges normal for the rifle. Being ex-Army Infantry, that is how I think in terms of accurracy. Yes, having a tight group is a bonus, it also means I can hit at longer distances. Casting also satisfies the nerd-tinkerer-experimenter-"mad scientist" in me.
The advice I have received/given on this site has been the best. Thank You all for the encouragement and support. You are good people! I look forward to 'working' with you for a long time to come.

Ron.D
09-17-2009, 11:03 AM
My expectations are to be able to shoot all I want through my retirement yrs. Then I realized that any animal on earth can be taken with a cast boolit within 200 yrds. and even more with the right gun and circumstances. I now have over ton of lead alloys. I'm 62 and I think that'll do it.[smilie=1: Ron.D

mold maker
09-17-2009, 12:05 PM
If your weapons will outlast you, make sure there is ample supply of lead for the next generation. They will not be able to find it the way we did.
See to it that the knowledge of casting and reloading is passed on with the tools and supplies.
Politicians will always try to see to it that we are a dieing bread.

Ron.D
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Gee MoldMaker, just when I thought it was safe to stop slugging & smelting pails of WW's you have to go and remind me of my duties to the next generation.:killingpc Of course you're right. Who knows where this is leading, actually I guess we do know. Without getting into worse case scenarios, I guess it would be prudent to stock up for more than one lifetime. As far as the guns wearing out, it's taken me a lifetime to shoot out the barrel of my first hunting rifle and that was with Jword bullets. These cast shooters should last almost forever with reasonable care. Thanks for the reminder, now where did I put those pails? Ron.D

dukenukum
09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
In my best Yoda voice " A apprentice must you choose or lost the silver stream will be".:wink::rolleyes::lol::lovebooli

Ron.D
09-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Now that's scary prophetic. I have an 8 yr. old grandson that's my best friend. Only thing is, is that he gets his ideas about hunters from cartoons. He can't abide my hunting and killing things. I'll have a job on my hands but with yoda's warning, err, guidance, I may be able to guide the poor misguided lad into the ways of the silver stream, if only in the interest of science. I've got him putting his own worm on his hook, so there is hope after all. Ron.D

bingo
12-31-2009, 02:27 AM
got into reloading to save money and to chase the elusive better load,thus more shooting and better acuracy. Same with CB.

Found something better,stress relief and relaxation. What could be better than smelting a pot of ww,making ingots,droping boolitis ,loading them up, or killing some paper?

It is all good. Oh did I forget to mention how nice it is to get on the computer and check out all the cool stuff on the CB site. Them guys really great.

Thanks for all the knowledge. I do not post much but if I can help someone with something I know I will try.

My expectations are minimal, the gun needs to make a loud noise when I pull the trigger and the bollit needs to hit what I am aiming at.

Bingo aim high-hit the bullseye

JesterGrin_1
01-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Ok I will jump in with both feet lol. But then again I tend to do that lol.

I got started in casting when I purchased my first BPCR Sharps Quigley in 45-70 and the boolits that were available for purchase were not all that great and especially cost. And when you figure just one round in the shoot was 100 rounds it was expensive. So I started to cast for the 535Gr Postell. I sold the rifle due to the fact of the 300+ Mi round trip to go to the range to a lucky person here on the forum.

Then since I had the stuff lol. I purchased a Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag and again jumped in with both feet and hope I could make the rifle shoot well with the bullets I would cast and then it all went down hill from there as now I cast for almost everything lol. Well .30Cal and up.

Now I am no big time caster or reloader as many on the forum but I do have a bunch of experience with the .44 Mag lol. But the norm for me in casting is the 311284,360180 Group buy,358655, 431244,Lee 310Gr,RD 432-265Gr and RD 460-350Gr RD 460-425Gr

jlchucker
01-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Pilgrim, cast boolits are not an alternative to condums. Rather, it's the other way around. Condums are an expensive, and not always 'mo betta' alternative, to real boolits. sundog

I couldn't have said it better myself! Moreover, you can be pretty much in charge of your own supply.

jlchucker
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Felix,

That's OK. If you understand Manlaw, as it pertains to beer, you would know that beer cans should be crushed on the forehead or thrown when they are empty.

Anyone that tells you that they can throw an empty beer can farther than 100 yards is a BSer to the max. So you should be OK with that 100 yard limit. :grin:

Yeah, but I like the exercise of walking my flattened out empty up to the 100 yard berm at my club range, and plinking at it with my 30-30--using 311041 boolet of course. When I'm done, I make sure to go back up there and pick up my holey flat cans, too.

pjh421
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Chicks dig me because I cast my own.

Paul

Slow Elk 45/70
01-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Bass Ackward, I thought maybe you might be going down the road to maybe letting some of the newer folks know that cast boolits will never be J condoms and try to discourage some from ruining good lever action rifles trying to make them something they aren't.:violin:
Great thread and responses..:drinks:

209jones
01-30-2010, 11:12 PM
I was fascinated by articles on Schuetzen rifles as a kid, loved the lines of them. Got started casting because I wanted some Chicken plinkin' loads for hunting. I have a tough time letting Grouse go by me without being shot at. By the time I got a Schuetzen rifle, I had a few years of casting boolits for plinkin' gophers & chickens & coyotes. Then I got a Schuetzen rifle.
Now I want to build a singleshot cast boolit huntin' rifle, and go look for a Bullwinkle.
There is something good about creating your own stuff and having it accomplish what you wanted it to do. Casting boolits, building guns, tying flies, woodworking, "created that myself".
we all like that part.

spurrit
02-01-2010, 02:45 AM
I hate to tell you this, but.......... Bullwinkle isn't real. Neither is Rocky.

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Party pooper Next you will TRY to tell us there is no Easter Bunny:(:(

batman
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
cost ,to much free time on my hands.But what I found is that it is fun .
I just want to be where I can do it all by my self,no having to go to town to
buy whatever I ran out of just to find they dont have it and cant get it.
I make my own beer, chew,smokes and have hogs which I have more free time and weird hours. It also relaxes me like reloading.
I know I just started but it is still fun.

skeettx
02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Hello All

I just got to this one

I have been loading 308 with 311465 bullets of wheelweights Hornady Gas Check, Javalina lube, 4227 powder and CCI LR primer.

I was getting so so accuracy, insuring the powder was positioned at the base next to the primer hole.

Just so so accuracy, so I thought I would shoot them up quickly. Took them out of the 20 cartridge box , bullet facing DOWN, seated them in the gun (Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special) and low and behold, less than one inch five shot groups at 100 yards

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-021S18.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-025S13.JPG

Been doing this for 5 years now and still works, do not ask me how, but it works.
The powder is positioned behind the bullet.

Mike

skeettx
06-24-2010, 03:56 PM
to the top

kennisondan
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I have always shot lot of cast boolits for the 44 mag cause there was no need to use jacketed for my uses.. I shot some factory loads for a few years then learned about cast for my 44.. since then I have bought cast bullets for all my pistols .. straight walled since I wanted easy and loved revolvers.. I have a uberti sharps now and it is the next step.. in the meantime I have accmulated some lead melting pot but not much more except what is needed with factory components. I expect to learn to cast properly and safely; I expect to learn about black powder cartridge reloading behind cast bullets for some competition and hope to learn well enough to find a place to shoot and practice all the way out there to a thous. yds. ~~I expect to drop a deer with the sharps and open sights bp cartridge reloaded about a million times at really respectable range.. I would settle for 200 yards but would wet myself with an ethical kill at longer than that.. I also want to start casting for the 44 mag 45 colt and the 50 cal revolver all straight wall cases again.. then I expect to be brave enough and experienced enough to reload bottleneck cartidges like my 308 and 358 winchester for my encore SS .. I expect to get that down to accurate enough reloads to graduate to the 270 ruger 1 that is my fave modern rifle and cartidge .. but for now.. simple reloading of the 45 70 with a few store bought and member donated bullets is my starting point. I expect to love it like I enjoy shooting everything else.. I have never been disappointed in shooting anything as long as it was quality, it rendered surprising results, whther it was a blowgun, slingshot, pistol rifle shotgun air gun bow or crossbow.. I even like to throw knives and hatchets... and you can get better faster than you think doing even that..with practice..
so I expect to practice, hunt, plink, compete, save money, expand to more in depth knowlege and experience and all the whle get the charge of doing it with what i made or assmbled my self.. and I expect to feel more self sufficient as I can gather scrap and turn it to bullets, one day.. lol.. however there is already competition for wheel weights so to continue to add to my store bought stash I expect to learn most of the sources of lead that is fit for casting from easiest to not so easiest..lol
dk

I don't expect to be disappointed, either.
dk

David2011
08-25-2010, 06:35 PM
A man who became a lifelong friend started me out in casting. I was mesmerized watching the silver stream become boolits. Mac had molds, metals, furnaces, sizers and seemed to know everything there was to know about casting. Nearly 30 years later my opinion of his knowledge is unchanged. He passed on to me his great knowledge and made it a very economical start. We cast thousands of Saeco 148 grain wadcutters and powered them with 2.3 grains of Bullseye back when primers were $0.69/C. You could shoot for half a day on $4 or $5. I discovered how incredibly accurate the wadcutters were. We began to shoot at the numbers on the targets instead of the whole target and spent endless hours coming up with new challenges for each other. Later we cast boolits for our Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt and tried every new .45 Colt load published for the Contender and Ruger back in the early 1980s. Some of them, in retrospect, were not that much fun to shoot.

Today I cast for a variety of reasons depending on the caliber. Three years ago I decided it was more time/money economical to buy commercial cast boolits for IPSC. They were $36/thousand and it was easier to work a little overtime than to spend the time to cast and size the number of boolits I was consuming. When they soared from $36 to $80/K, I re-evaluated the effort to cost relationship and decided I could in fact cast that many boolits. I could still get wheelweights for free so casting was very cost effective. I paid for the 4 cavity mold the first month I had it, consuming about 2500 boolits every month. There is less action shooting where I now live so it’s easier to supply the demand.

When Mac’s health failed I bought his entire gunsmith shop complete with all of his casting and reloading equipment. When I cast the old wadcutter it’s nostalgic. I think of the times when we were both much younger and life was good everywhere we looked and of the endless hours we spent together in the shop and at the range. I still enjoy the powder puff, laser accurate loads, too. When I cast for .44 and .45 Colt it’s in the pursuit of the best projectiles possible for the big bore handguns and the hope of bagging a big hog or other predators and varmints. I cast the big boolits at a more leisurely pace. While the .40s I cast are very good, they are also very easy to cast. The bigger boolits require more care to get a really good product. I enjoy slowing down and working at making them as good as I can. I will start casting for the .375 H&H when I finish building it. The goal there is to shoot it at a power level that keeps it fun, since even at reduced velocities it will take anything in North America short of an armored vehicle.

Mostly, I think I cast because I can.

David

white eagle
08-26-2010, 11:47 PM
I cast for the satisfaction of knowing its me who is the ceo of the company that made the boolit,primed the case then put the powder charge in and lastly the one who after all that pulled the trigger only to do it all again
Satisfaction is good

atom73
10-27-2010, 12:05 AM
My expectations are to understand firearms better. I enjoy shooting and casting/loading teaches me each time I do it. If it was classic cars that I was into I would probably build my own hotrod. I just enjoy the discovery process. I also have three little girls that like to help and its fun spending time with them and teaching them (they each have their own set of lead handling gloves)

a.squibload
10-29-2010, 01:08 AM
The H&R 22 revolver and Marlin 22 rifle were losing my interest.
A friend found a 44mag SBH for me in the paper so I bought it.
Started reloading and casting shortly after.
I knew little about 44s, was impressed by the destructive force a large slow boolit had.
Powderizing bricks was my favorite target shooting, or jugs of water.
And felt good to knock over IHMSA large-dog-size steel targets at 200m with an "old style" single action.
Started buying 44s and reloading equipment, don't think I've ever bought more than half a dozen boxes of factory 44.
No need.

My expectations of cast boolits: cheapness, accuracy, power.

My expectations of CastBoolits site:

I was dragged over here by jeep45238,
he posted info on the Kahr site about BT's swaged boolits.
I expected to learn about some weird guys making jackets out of spent cases:veryconfu,
and MAYBE how to feed my new Kahr without going broke buying j-word ammo
(as the PM40 has a polygon barrel and I didn't want to blow it up).

Expectations met and exceeded!

Dang, it's like an encyclopedia only you get to ask questions too.
Tons of experience related here. Thank you all.

I knew I was gonna make this too long...

Ravenhawk57
10-29-2010, 08:45 AM
I stumbled onto this site a couple years ago while I was searching for something else. Read all I could for 4 or 5 months, finally realized what a gold mine it was in terms of knowledge and experience. Joined the forum and have been reading from that day forth. Have gained enough insight to begin casting my own and have bought 4 molds of my own since. This place is awsome in knowledge and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. Thanks.:mrgreen:

BOOM BOOM
12-25-2010, 12:27 AM
HI,
I started out just reloading. Because reloading w/ j-bullets cost less than 1/2 factory loaded ammo in the 1960's. And I like to shoot.
I started out casting because it would be cheaper.
It was & still is cheaper. I like to shoot.
My 1st pot, dipper, 4 cav. Lyman 158 gr 38 mold & 450 lube sizer paid for themselves in the 1st 1-2 yrs. You see like to shoot.
Then I bought my Lyman 4 cav. 168gr. 7MM mold. New top punch & sizing die. & 10,000 gc. they paid for themselves in a yr. or 3. You see I like to shoot.
Then I bought my Lyman mod.61 bottom pour furnace. It payed for itself in a yr. or 2.
YOU SEE I LIKE TO SHOOT.:bigsmyl2:
Do we see a trend here?
I would have been shooting j-bullets. They were then & are now even more expensive.
Then I searched for the 2" group at 25yds. w/ the 357, and the 2" group w/ the 7MM at 100yds. It was not that easy a goal, but I didn't mind . You see I like to shoot.
Then the 44 mag & 444 Marlin came along & I just had to have one of each. So I could hunt bear & elk in close timber. So I had to buy a 4 cav. Lyman 250 gr gc mold & 10,000 gc. They paid for themselves in 1-2yrs. Never shot an elk or bear w/ ether gun. But I got the tightest group I ever shot w/ cast w/ the 444. 11 boolits all touching in 1 big hole. :shock: That was an eye opener. And you see I like to shoot.:bigsmyl2:
I would have got the guns anyway, I would have shot them anyway. It was & still is cheaper, and guess what it"s FUN.
NOW I KNOW A 1" GROUP IS POSSIBLE AT 100 YDS. W/ PISTOL AND RIFLE. I"M FRUSTRATED BUT THE CHASE IS ON.[smilie=w:
NOW I KNOW OF FOLKS WHO GET JACKED VEL. OUT OF CAST RIFLE BOOLITS I'M FRUSTRATED, BUT THE CHASE IS ON.[smilie=w:
I have done it w/ the 444 marlin:bigsmyl2:, NOW I WANT TO DO IT WITH THE 7mm/06.
So I can deer hunt w/ it.
BUT ALL THAT ASIDE, YOU SEE I LIKE TO SHOOT.:Fire::Fire:

garbear
12-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I was gently pushed into this by a member here. I know him on another board as well. He sent me here when I had posted on our other site an interest for boolet casting for my muzzle loader and hand gun. I cast for the challenge and ease of getting my guns to shoot. I started with a lee rf nose for my 357 and moved to molds for my inline, round ball for the side locks and am slowly looking into the rifle. I enjoyn casting and reloading my own boolits. I don't know who will admit this but I have cast boolits and even though they were good I melted them down again on another session just to cast them agian. My demands for accuracy depends on what I am shooting the cast boolit in.
Garbear

reloader28
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
BOOM BOOM, you really should try shooting once in a while instead of just buying guns and molds. Its really fun and I bet you'll like it.:bigsmyl2:

I bought 200 cast boolits from a store when I started reloading for pistols. I loved shooting, just didnt do much of it. A couple years later, I had those boolits shot up and a friend of mine had a pot, 2 molds, a lube/sizer and enough to get us making a few wrinkled, under sized boolits. They shot decent and were cheap tho.

I raced stock cars for a few years and melted down 400-500 lbs of lead into bread loafs to make legal weight limit. That actually got me going. We fired up the boolit molds my friend had and started figuring it out. The boolits and accuracy got better and I started buying molds and got a pot and lube/sizer of my own.

That was about 12 years ago when we started playing a little. It has only actually been the last 3 years that I started into it heavy. I've been a member of this site for the last year and have learned a ton.

I would have never shot cast rifle boolits until I got here. Now 99% of my rifle shooting is cast boolits. 100% pistol shooting is cast. Has been since I started casting. I shoot around 8000 rounds a year and 1/4 of them is rifle. Got my first cast killed deer this year and I have never had a better feeling than that.

I would rather spend 2 days building something myself than go to town (40 miles away) and spend $20 on it. Its the satisfaction of my own work. Cast boolits fit into that very nice.

There is NOTHING better than having friends over to my man cave. Reloading boolits I made, in a house I built, then going outside to my own shooting range and hitting the bullseye. Sitting down in my personal saloon that I made, eating some homemade deer jerky, homemade pickles, and wash it down with a homebrew. Then go back in the reloading room and do it all again.:redneck:

Fire_stick
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
I am looking for one or more "go to" loads for each gun. Depending on the gun, I want different things in a go to load. But mostly for hunting purposes.

I want to learn to shoot a pistol better, and that is going to take a lot of shooting, since I am a slow learner. But I will have fun, because I love to shoot.

Bottom line, I want the best load for the least amount of $'s invested. I will invest the time, but it will take time to find the time.

Bulltipper
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Besides the obvious cost and fun reasons, I cast in the winter to keep the shed warm, and I cast in the summer to keep the bugs out! Also helps keep me from having to watch Bachelor or Dancing with the Buffoons with the better half...

Jech
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Also helps keep me from having to watch Bachelor or Dancing with the Buffoons with the better half...

SWMBO didn't jump for that one but we've found a happy middle ground. I cast up a big batch the night before Dancing is on then "watch" the show sorting out the culls and spending time with her. Works like a charm!

~ Jech

*Paladin*
03-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Casting was something I've been fascinated by since I was a kid and first got into shooting. I remember when I thought reloading was some great mystery. Once I got into reloading, I started thinking of casting my own, but that too was some ancient, dark art form. After years of loading my own, shooting became j-bullets progressively more expensive, so I started reading here about casting.

To me, casting is a peaceful, quiet way to pass time in support of my life's passion. Casting was a natural evolution for me, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. And honestly, most of what I have learned in regards to casting is courtesy of all of your contributions to this site. I've learned a lot and I know I'm only beginning to scratch the surface. So, I'll be here a long time, picking your brains for more knowledge!

Lead Fred
03-02-2011, 02:35 AM
I expect my 45-70 to blow big holes through anything that walks in north America.

I expect the squirrel hiding on the other side of a nice thick tree to go splat when the boolit goes clean though the tree and there is a red mark on the other side.

My Realistic Expectations for Cast Boolits is a big ole smile on my ugly mug every time I pull the trigger

unclebill
03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Chicks dig me because I cast my own.

Paul

yep
it drives chicks mad with desire.

Bulltipper
03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
SWMBO didn't jump for that one but we've found a happy middle ground. I cast up a big batch the night before Dancing is on then "watch" the show sorting out the culls and spending time with her. Works like a charm!

~ Jech
GENIUS!!

songdog53
03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I cast to reload..reload to shoot...is never ending circle of life and i am doing my best to enjoy every step i take. Besides i enjoy every step in circle and keeps me out of trouble. Yes, even old men can get in trouble.

mold maker
03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I cast to reload..reload to shoot...is never ending circle of life and i am doing my best to enjoy every step i take. Besides i enjoy every step in circle and keeps me out of trouble. Yes, even old men can get in trouble.

Aint that the truth?

miestro_jerry
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I have been casting for many years, I enjoy it, but I can get bullets that work better than the factory ones, plus I can make them as soft or as hard as they need to be.

Good example are the RD molds, which I have several. They very well in my Marlin lever guns, but also my t/c Contenders.

Factory bullets are made to sort of fit everything, instead of one particular gun.

Jerry

1Shirt
03-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Don't know who originally said that unless you were a caster, you weren't a reloader, but just an assembler. But I kind of like that! If I could make my own brass, would probably be trying that as well. Guess it is just a factor of satisfaction.

THOR5624
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I am new to casting but, I have been reloading for about 7 months now. I just enjoy shooting and taking pride in the accuracy I can get from loads I made myself. I love my mosin nagant 91/30. Its like a little brother to me. Some people say its just a rifle and a cheap one at that. I see it as a weapon of war and a fun firearm to take to the range and blow holes through paper. I may try hunting sometime with it when I get the chance. I am still trying to find a sweet spot in the loads I make. Experimenting with three different powders trying to find the best groups. Happy shooting and reloading fellas!

krag35
03-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I started seriously into casting when I was shooting action Pistol, field pistol and handgun Sillywet. I never got really good at any of those sports, but I had fun. I used the excuse that it would "save me money" that is a flat out lie, cost the same or perhaps a bit more to cast and reload, but you get to shoot SO much more for those dollars.

I realy don't like experimenting, but I do it untill I achieve the results I want, then I have "the load" for that particular gun. Sometimes on here I'll read of something different than what I'm using, and will go test it against "The load for that particular gun" If it is better, I get to blast away all of the previous loads and load up a new "The load for that particular gun"

I guess to answer the original question

Defensive handgun Minute of Coffe can at 25 yards (if it is smaller than a coffe can I'm not afraid of it, if it is bigger I can hit it, and I have a head start running for a rifle)

Hunting handgun That is what they make rifles for

Hunting Rifle Peep sights 4" @ 100 yds , Scope 2" @ 100 yds

I'm a hunter, not a target shooter. 90% of the animals I have taken have been within 100 yds, and 90% of then have been within 50 yds.

JMO and YMMV

Marine Sgt 2111
03-11-2011, 04:36 AM
My Realistic Expectations for Cast Boolits :
Well when I was 15 I started casting boolits for a Ruger SBH (when they were $125.00) and couldn't afford jacketed. I read every article that Elmer penned about his SWC, 2400 and how well they worked together. When I went through my "Colt" phase, I cast for my GC, using a Lyman 4 cavity mold 452460 and experimenting for the best load. In rifles I was just shooting jackets gullets in all but my Navy Arms rolling block .45-70. Again the cost of jacketed bullets was just too much and WW alloy boolits shot just fine for "hunting". It has been only since I bought this farm, have easy access to my 100 and 200 yd ranges that I have really taken the time to refine lead boolits for accuracy in a rifle. Now retired I make my rounds between .32-20, .30-30, .30-06, .308, .35 rem, .32-40, .38-55, .375 H&H and .45-70 Rifles. I really am now gathering practical information prior to reopening my cast boolit business. Kind of a mixture of business and pleasure. Now I expect my cast boolits to hover around 1" @ 100yds with velocity between 1900 and 2400 fps. I have a Marlin 336 that plops RCBS 200gr FPGC boolits into less than 3/4" with pleasant regularity. I have enjoyed this sport for some 40 years now and see no boredom in my near future or until God calls me home.

skeettx
03-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I am throwning the gauntlet down
7 total pages and only two pirtures
Topper, thanks for your picture

Talk, talk, talk
Show um if you got um :)
Enjoy the day
Mike

wch
03-13-2011, 10:22 PM
[B1 shirt's quote has me thinking that if you cast, size, lube, and load your own ammunition, then you might call the cartridges "handcrafted".
Then you would be able to tell folks that you are an "ammo craftsman".[/B]

John Ross
03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm surprised at the number of responses from people who say that they have not saved money casting bullets because of the equipment expense. I started casting in 1971 after I got my first .44 magnum, which I liked to shoot a LOT. I had been reloading (for rifles) for 3 years at that point. My uncle believed in good tools and equipment, and encouraged me to get top quality stuff. He contributed half the price of all the casting equipment I bought.

Let's look at what I got in 1971, at 1971 prices, with tax and/or shipping:

Lyman Mold Master bottom pour furnace $50
Saeco 20 lb. utility furnace $40
Star Lubrisizer with die and top punch $60
Pair of H&G #503 8-cavity molds $150

That's $300, a fair chunk of change in 1971. Mom gave me an old iron pot, soup ladle, and muffin tin for smelting, and I already had a Coleman stove. The result was I could now cast, size and lube .44 bullets for well under a penny each. Wheelweights and other scrap lead were maybe 10 cents a pound at most, and often free.

Let's do the math: Good jacketed .44 bullets cost about a nickel to six cents apiece in quantity in 1971. Cast slugs from a commercial caster might have been half as much, but there was no one locally who did that.

At a nickel a bullet savings, my equipment was paid off in 6000 rounds, or about 7 months of shooting. After that, it was all gravy.

How much labor was involved for this? With my setup, I could cast, size and lube 6000 bullets in ten hours. Add three more hours (or less) to smelt 240 pounds of alloy. $300/13 hours = over $23/hr., not bad for a kid in junior high school in 1971.

Let's do the math for 2011:

RCBS Pro-Melt $335
Lee 20-lb pot $55
Star Lubrisizer with die $310
THREE MiHec 4-cavity brass molds $300

$1000 for about the same quality stuff in 2011. But .44 Jacketed bullets are now 20 cents each. If you pay $1/pound for your alloy, your bullets will be 4 cents each. Get some wheelweights for cheap or free, and cut that number in half.

At 18 cents a bullet in savings, you amortize the cost in ~5500 bullets. Not much different than 1971, eh?

Of course you can get started in casting today for one caliber for a LOT less than $1000, but I wanted to illustrate that even buying top drawer equipment, it doesn't take decades of shooting to make the investment worth it. And good equipment may depreciate a bit initially, but then tends to retain its value, and the best stuff actually appreciates over time.

More later.

a.squibload
03-21-2011, 01:27 AM
JR, thanks for that perspective, good writeup.
I was out in the hills Sat. attempting to amortize my equipment.
Don't get many chances to do so, but it sure helps having the equipment,
'cause factory ammo works OK but it's too dang expensive!
And heck it's more fun to punch holes in stuff with home-made anyway.

BruceB
03-21-2011, 03:29 AM
"Saving money...."

Hey, I'm a NUT, and I have a lot of company on this Board. I'm such a nut, that I'd probably cast and load my own even if it cost more than factory ammo. Fortunately, it doesn't, so follow some arithmetic here.

Being a nut, I have some off-the-wall rifles.

On a recent check of my logbooks, I found that my .416 Rigby has fired over 1500 rounds since it was new. Looking at Midway's lists, the LEAST-expensive .416 Rigby factory loads are selling at over five dollars per round. Some are over $10.00 per bang! My cast-bullet .416s, even those loaded to factory levels, cost about twenty cents each.

Hmmm....1500 x $5.00 = $$7,500.

1500 x $0.20 = $300. Net "saving": $7,200!!!!

Of course, there's no way that I'd ever shoot that many factory loads, even in much-less-expensive loadings than the .416. It's the casting and handloading that makes it all possible.

My M1A has passed the 6500-round mark now, and again, there's no way that I would even contemplate shooting that many factory loads. In fact, the rifle has never even SEEN a factory load...nor has the Rigby, or the vast majority of the other rifles that live with us.

If I could ever itemize the costs incurred to date (after 45+ years) there's little doubt that it would be a daunting figure. However, whatever that figure might be, when divided into the elapsed time AND the vast enjoyment derived from the expenditure....it's dirt cheap.

Yes, the per-round costs are much lower. The per-round SATISFACTION is astronomically greater. Looking back, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that this was the right course for me.

a.squibload
03-24-2011, 04:18 AM
BruceB, another good analysis of our addic... er, hobby!
I was so pleased last Sat. to find that all my test loads functioned
(first time I've done taper crimp, was always a revolver nut).
The gravy: I could hit stuff with 'em too!
Probably wouldn't care if they cost me the same as factory stuff,
being less expensive is the icing on the cake.

Think I need a snack...

testhop
03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
i want my groups to be as small as i can get at least min of deer .

bprifle01
03-27-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm new to this group, but not to reloading/casting. I've been casting since I built my first muzzleloading rifle and my brother said "You have to cast your own round ball for that thing or you are'nt a real man". That was about four or five years ago and I got into reloading at about the same time.
My expectations of cast boolits is to be able to exceed the accuracy of the loads I've developed with yellow bullets although I'm not real sure of how to go about that!
My expectations of Cast Boolits is to give me the guidance to learn how to go about doing what I want with cast boolits.
:lovebooli

Worn_Holster
04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I am new to casting, but not reloading. My expectations are to have bullets in times when components are hard to find, to be able to produce boolits for my 1958 S&W 44 Magnum that requires oversized boolits to shoot accurately and to enjoy myself performing another tinkering type hobby.

LAH
04-02-2011, 06:08 PM
My Realistic Expectations for Cast Boolits?

That the casting & shooting said bullet would bring happiness.

BOOM BOOM
10-29-2011, 08:29 PM
HI,
1 CHEAPER SHOOTING,
2 LOTS OF SHOOTING,
3 2" AT 100YDS WITH A RIFLE,
4 10" OR, IF HEAVEN SMILES, LESS AT 100YDS. WITH A PISTOL.
5 FUN,:Fire::Fire:

Newtire
10-29-2011, 09:25 PM
I normally get all one-hole groups at 100 yds. 5-shots=5 1-hole groups about 2-1/2 to 3" apart.

mold maker
10-31-2011, 10:37 AM
I normally get all one-hole groups at 100 yds. 5-shots=5 1-hole groups about 2-1/2 to 3" apart.

I love the way you think. Now I know how to qualify my shots.:smile:

shdwlkr
11-01-2011, 09:46 AM
My realistic expectations are that I have the mold I want for the bullet weight I want and I don't have to go to the store to get them.
I find that cast bullets is a disease that is worse than my addiction to lever action firearms.
I find that I am using heavier bullets traveling at less speed than J-word bullets and getting so much more fun out of shooting.
For instance I am working on using 300 and 350 grain bullets in my .375 winchester, you know the lever action rifle that all the gun writers labeled useless. Funny thing is none of them used them in the field on real game or they would have found out what those of that have them have they work great. Why the heavy bullets because I can and in the day the weight of the was more important than the speed as the powders of the day could only get it going just so fast. One reason they had such long barrels again to get all they could out of the bullet.
So I am going backwards in time so to speak, heavier bullets, less powder and also less recoil so I can shoot more.
back to the milk and cookies before they take my away ha ha

bearcove
11-01-2011, 09:49 PM
35 rem, 38-55, 375 win, and 444marlin all considered poor for hunting by modern gun writers are very effective with the right boolit. Hardly useless, but fast handling, and plenty for most N American game. And they beat a stick for bear defense.

Multigunner
11-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Harry Pope once put four cast boolets through the same hole and a fifth was half way into that hole.
I think the caliber was .32-40 and range was 200 yards.
I expect this was from one of his false muzzle target rifles, the kind where the bullet is loaded from the muzzle and propelled by a blank cartridge inserted from the breech.

skeettx
11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I have a 38-55 Ruger #1 (all factory) that will print cloverleafs at 100 yards

382 Diameter cast bullet, with gas check sized to .380.
30 Grains of 3031

Sweet load and gun, plenty capable for deer

Mike

11-02-2011, 08:26 PM
First, for reloading _and_ casting, I came about them together and with the expectation of being able to shoot what I could not find ammo for.
Since I have a collection of weapons hard to find ammo for this was of a high value to Me. This I have realized happily as expected, with the help of this Forum.

Then next, I expected to be able to become "store bought ammo" independant. Across calibers, gauges and weapon types, Common and uncommon.
This too I am realizing with the help of this Forum and the sharing of Knowledge.

Higher expectations have grown , now that I have played a bit and accuracy and hunting ability have got me playing, thinking working and learning. I have perhaps expected too much in fps on a 30-06, .280. 7mm mag, etc and done silly things chasing high fps to find groups I could best with my .401 powermag or .41 mag pistols easily when the 30-06 started to tumble... so sometimes I have gone to places that casting might not be able to get, but then with a little "I told you so's" under my belt I slide back to reality and work back up, so really.
Even when I get silly expectations along the way.
Reloading and casting together ( hand in hand), Have far far exceded any expectations I truely had or have.
I shoot cast, that I reloaded, that's , well just cool!

SSGOldfart
11-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I find that cast bullets is a disease that is worse than my addiction to lever action firearms.:?::?:[smilie=f:

could be this site is too addicitive :groner: [smilie=f:

shdwlkr
11-03-2011, 07:13 PM
You might be right but it keeps me out of the bars and doing things that are fun and besides when I die look at the fun those folks are going to have trying to figure out what the heck I had this for.
I find casting when I ever find all my stuff again, think divorce, packing and then moving and then packing and moving again. I hope to find most of my stuff before I have to move again and to even know where a lot of it is even this time. the ex gave me just a few hours to get my stuff and even then some of it got left and she just sold it for nothing to get rid of it.
So I buy casting molds that interest me when I can find the money to buy them and will just enjoy what I have and hope to live long enough to have a whole lot of fun with them before I have to take a long dirt nap.

Dthunter
12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
My present expectations are to find a couple bullet styles that will shoot 1.5MOA or less.
Then I would like to extend that level of accuracy out to as far as 500 yards.(5-7.5")
Then take MOA steel plates and have a buddy set them out at various ranges.
Say, 5 targets.
When ready, i go to the shooting line and engauge the targets at unknown distances.
The guy with thw least rounds fired after all the targets have been hit, wins the round.
Fun stuff! And challenging!

1Shirt
12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
It is worth going back and reviewing this sticky once in awhile, and have just done so. My expectations are limited by a number of things the most significant of which is ME. Then there are other factors such as production rifles, wind, mirage, quality of weapons, quality of scope, time-lack of time, and a number of other factors inclluding luck. Hate to mention HOPE in light of the current administrations hype on the word, but HOPE that I am capable of casting the best possible consistant projectiles, and loading them to their best accuracy. Then of course is the Pilot Error factor of me pulling the trigger. I only have three rifles that have what I would call pristine triggers and am probably to cheap to get a couple of Timney's to improve the issue. I do expect however that if I do all that I should to cast consistant blts, load to exacting standards, and shoot on days when the range Gods are with me, to stay under 3MOA with open sights at 100 with most rifles. (Boy talk about a run on sentence) Depending on which scoped rifles I am shooting, I hope to stay under 2MOA at 100. On a few of my rifles I hope and expect to stay under 1.5 MOA, and usually do. Once in awhile I am able to produce a MOA 5 shot group with 308 or 223, but the next group will almost always have a flier that will bump one out to 1.5. I expect that at my age and with my old eyes I am doing about as well as I am capable of. Overall, I am satisfied that I consider my expectations to be realistic.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

shdwlkr
12-09-2011, 07:32 PM
1shirt
I find the biggest limiting factor in shooting and reloading and casting is me. With that in mind I see the expectations in that light and work with it to my advantage as often as I can. I like to shoot black powder and some really old calibers so you learn to expect less from your rifle, pistol whatever because of this and in doing so are more often pleased with your results because of just how much you have done yourself for yourself in creating that shot and hole in the target and you should be pleased with the results.
When we talk about shooting at great distances and keeping a tight group just what is the best that the caliber firearm ever turned in with anyone using the same components that you did and what age where, what was the day like and most of all were they focused or were other issues on their mind also.
Me I accept my limitations and enjoy being able to do what I do as well as I do. Most of all I enjoy seeing just how well I can still do after 50 years of shooting.
my 3cents of paper Inflation don't you know silver and gold are to expensive and so paper money will go away too so I am not sure what we will use maybe used newspapers.

41mag
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Well as has been written, I got into casting simply because I refused to pay for a factory built bullet in either copper clad or Pb. It simply got to be more than I could handle wanting to shoot my 454 to REALLY learn it's finer points.

Even having to purchase most of my lead from folks here who are gracious enough to sell it, I am still beating the other cost. The best part is it has also opened up the door to new boolits for my other handguns and possibly even a few rifles.

I quit worrying about reloading cost on equipment years ago. IT will always pay for it's self even if it takes time, it's the consumables that will eat your lunch money up in a hurry. Now I don't have to pay $65 or more for only 500, if that, plus $10 or more in shipping, when I can easily get twice that many or more, from a box of ingots delivered and including shipping. Then with the ingots I can pour up what I want when I want it.

1Shirt
12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
shdwlkr, If you get anywhere near Omaha, look me up and I'll buy you a cup of coffee, or we can go to the range or whatever. We have a lot in common. As close as I can figure it, have been shooting for over 60 years, starting with a 22 at 11 or 12 years old.

shdwlkr
12-10-2011, 05:53 PM
1shirt
I started with a 22 52 years ago here in a few months. I have been shooting ever since off and on. At one point when I went into the military I left my folks with 100 rifles to clean and take care of for me and no I don't have any where that many now, wished I did have them though so many that you can't find now and I just plain like them.
If I ever travel east I will look you up. I have to go back to NYS one day to get some of my stuff that is still there I hope and will be traveling to bring it back out west here when I find a place that is mine and not a rental.

I shot my first muzzle loader a pistol when I was 18 I think it was but had to return it to the dealer as NYS didn't see the difference between a muzzle loading pistol and a center fire pistol and you had to be 21 to get a pistol permit.
That would mean I have enjoyed shooting black powder firearms for 46 years now hope to make it a good 100 years on day.

Rangefinder
12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Realistic expectations for cast boolits is all subjective to the individual and the desired purpose you are willing to explore. I'm multifaceted.

I like accuracy...
10-shot group 1938 Mosin 91/30 "Izzy" using 173gr gc boolit. Fired at 50 yds from sitting.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF6763.jpg

I like defensive results...
.40S&W 175gr. Lee TL SWC modified to a 160gr HP SWC by "yours-truly". Seated over 4.4gr Red Dot and running in the neighborhood of 850-900 FPS.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF6292.jpg

I like "old school"...
155gr. Lyman 319-something sized down to .311 and patched up to .322 for my .32Win Spl. Sits over 29.5gr. H335 and exits the muzzle with authority at around 2200+ FPS. Deer beware...
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF6691.jpg

These are just a few in a very long (and always growing) list of what I play with. What can be done is all in the individual and how involved you want to become. ;)

Jay561
12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
My expectations for cast boolits is I will get educated better about casting. So much info here.

Stick_man
02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
My expectations about cast boolits are few and simple.
1. more shooting per $
2. more choice in what I load
3. 2-3" accuracy at 100 yards

My expectations for Cast Boolits are also few and simple.
1. Provide good information on the art of casting
2. Expand my knowledge of hunting projectile performance
3. A place to bounce ideas off of others with similar interests
4. A place to "meet" new friends

I might say that each of my expectations listed here have been greatly exceeded. Did I set my expectations too low?

slide
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I got in to casting for my son and my grandson. We got lucky and found this forum and got in on some group buys for Mihec molds. The first time we cast bullets,I can't really explain the feeling of seeing those shiny bullets. I wish I had found casting a long time ago. Bottom line reason wise is accuracy. I get off on making small holes with something I created.

JIMinPHX
02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
In the more mature cartridges, that operate at conservative pressures, like .38spl & .30-30, I often am able to equal or better the performance of j-word factory ammo with my cast handloads. The higher pressure cartridges seem to require me to accept a reduction in maximum performance if I switch them over to cast.

JesterGrin_1
02-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Jim I thought about that very same problem before and came to a nutty conclusion. And that is yes we are restrained a bit by how fast we can push Cast VS Jacketed rounds. So lets say we go up in weight with the Cast round where its speed would equal that of the same weight of a jacketed round and be within the speed range of cast. Then I feel that cast is an advantage. But we still have to remember the drop at distance and the difference of BC between cast and Jacketed. I do not find this to be a big drawback as we only have to practice with the firearm being used and the ammo of which has been tested to verify its point of impact and drop at distance to ensure ourselves of its accuracy and ability to take game cleanly at the intended range that we set for ourselves and equipment used.

Oh my gosh did I say all that what was I thinking oh it is late lol. :)

gandydancer
02-14-2012, 02:56 AM
Just because I enjoy the art form and the quite time with no sound around.

Texantothecore
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I bought most of my casting equipment several years ago along with a lot of lead and powder. It has saved me a lot of money and keeps me shooting as the money spent is "yesterday's money".

Recently I bought a small amount of temperature measuring equipment in order cast more quickly and more certainly. It has been a very good investment.

Factory rounds are about 2.00 per piece for my gun, cast and reloaded, it varies from .04 to .14 per round.

I have also learned just how flexible my rifle is, 144 grns to 600 grns depending on what i wish to do with it. It has turned my shooting into a very different sport than I had imagined.

And it is lot of fun and I meet lot of people through this end of the sport.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I started exploring reloading in an effort to get more (or less depending on how you look at it) out of my 30-06 that I have rarely shot over the past 10 years. Yet to seat my first boolit (still waiting on componets to come in), I have have already spent hours reading on the forum and getting questions answered. Unlike most that start with jacketed and move to cast, I am jumping straight to cast. What I didn't expect whas the sheer depth and complexity of the hobby. It is incredible, it will keep me busy for a LONG time.

monge
04-01-2012, 06:40 AM
In a time of iphones ,gps and facebook I feel casting kind of turns back time for me . When I cast things slow down and feel relaxed and happy of all the 100s of boolits I am making ! When I hit that sweet spot of accuracy It all comes together! :cbpour:

jed
04-01-2012, 08:25 AM
It's definently the do it your self aspect of shooting and accruacy is a great by product atainble by attention to detail and "much" experimenting.

Wal'
04-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I started reading the first few posts before checking the dates :-) & then jumped up to today with a few of my expectations from boolit casting.

Have been shooting all my life with the usual graduations as a kid/teenager to my first airgun /.22 & then getting into the big stuff with my time in the Armed Services. big boy's toy's, :bigsmyl2:

Now having just retired & having reloaded my ammo for the past 40yrs I guess casting my own projectiles has to be the natural progression for us new old fart's :( :cry:

With all this expected time on my hands, this hobby looks to take me into uncharted waters & with all the reading done so far, this casting boolits habit has acquired many addicted follower's :lovebooli

Have just ordered my casting gear & the waiting is killing me, but a site like this is both therapeutic & expensive with more items being continually added to my shopping list. 8-)

Expectations.........

Saving money............nope, don't think so........always something new or different to buy.

Learning..................there will be plenty of that.....reading the learned one's post's.

All in all I think this casting is going to be a hoot. :castmine:

walterm
04-02-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't have a lot of experience casting - while I've had casting equipment for about 15 years, I'm not that regular at using it. However - .32 full wadcutter, .45ACP and R.E.A.L. are what I cast.
Used to shoot 380 grn REAL boolits out of the .54, but sold that rig in NZ.
Now just ordered 320grn REAL for .50 in anticipation of Ontario hunting. I've hunted with centrefire and muzzles, and the 380 grn REALs have put more meat on my table than any other.
Cost? 20 shots for practice, 1 shot hunting. Irrelevant.
Accuracy? 4 inch steel plate at 75 yards seems accurate enough - the animals all fall down very close to where they're hit.
Fun? I like getting the metal to work.

Cheers,
W

209jones
04-21-2012, 04:19 AM
I originally got into it to try to build some chicken and rabbit loads for my 7-08. Then I used the same bullets in my 7x57 in some military matches at the local range. Then I tried another mould in a 22-250 for gophers. Then I was gabbing with some guys at a gunshow, and one pulled out a .32-30 Rem Schuetzen rifle he had for sale. And then a fella showed me an H&H in .300Rook, and then I built a 044-1/2 in .218 bee. And then I built a 32-40. And then I bought a 450/400ne.
I just like building my own boolits and seeing what I can get them to do for me, be it accuracy, plinking, killin' sumthin'. It opened a few different doors for me, met a lot of good people because of it. And had a lot of fun shooting them. In some ways I prefer buying guns I need to or should cast boolits for.
Now when I go to a gun show or read a for sale column, I look at good guns for cast boolits first.
Kind of like tying a fly and going out and catching a fish with it.

tmattox
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Hopefully this is the right forum foir this question. I cast 9mm (125 gr,40 180 gr and .45 ACP 230 gr.) On my pistol s I'm getting leading (noyt a lot) in the barrel. I'm using titegroup and WFS.What would be the best all around powder to use so I can eliminate leading. p.s. I'm lubing with blue angel.

tmattox
02-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Hopefully this is the right forum for this question. I cast 9mm (125 gr,40 180 gr and .45 ACP 230 gr.) On my pistol s I'm getting leading (not a lot) in the barrel. I'm using titegroup and WFS.What would be the best all around powder to use so I can eliminate leading. p.s. I'm lubing with blue angel.

Bulltipper
02-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Slug your barrel and check your boolit size. You want your boolit .002" to .003" bigger than your lands to get a good seal. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong...:)

onehousecat
07-13-2013, 02:16 AM
What I find strange is that no one mentions any long range aspirations. Handgun or rifle. (yet)

Superb accuracy requirements.

Don't be afraid. Spill your guts. Tell us what you really think.

Too many folks belong to this board have never posted yet. What about yooze guys?

In my younger days when I could see well, I shot the long course IHMSA matches with a TC in 35 Remington. I used a 180 gr GC that actually weighed about 190 to 192 grs using my mostly WW alloy. While my skill level was not a 40X, I do believe a better shooter could have done so. I always shot the 1st, 2nd, and most of the time 4th banks very well. Watching me shoot the turkeys was like watching Wilt Chamberlin shoot free throws. It eventually became a mental hurdle I could not overcome.

If the guy beside me was shooting the highest quality, most expensive jackected bullets I was not intimidated. If he beat me, it was not because of the bullets, he was just a better shooter than me.

DougGuy
07-13-2013, 03:40 AM
So far we have:

hunting
cost
excuse to reload
cheapness
handgun proficiency
economical
fun
cheapness
blammin

Seems like economics and fun are highly represented so far.

Where are all the new folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I understand why Felix and Sundog have so many issues. They work too hard at getting empty targets. :grin:

Old thread but still a good one. Add boolit performance to that list.

I wanted to learn about cast boolit performance, what would be a good hunting boolit and why, and find some experienced casters with whom I could chat with and then get some of the boolits and put them to work taking game. It's very difficult to find really good hunting ammo in .45 Colt and .44 mag using heavy cast boolits. And with ordering from an online vendor, you get what they cast and there is not usually any options on hardness or alloy.

Here, on this forum, I am learning how to match the boolits to my guns, AND to the game I will be taking with them. It's been interesting, it's been real, and sometimes it's even been real interesting! Keep on keepin' on, and contribute what I can.

Plastics Savage
07-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Sorry

Jumped from the header to this point (I have no attention span).
My expectations where left far behind reality. I'd been thinking about casting for years. This last panic happened right as the wife bought her new snubby she went trough all available "j word" slugs in short time. That put me over the edge. I like to build stuff and am finally able afford a whim once ever couple years.
So I read a few thing here and bought a few books then a lee mold. Read the directions and hotted up a frying pan, shot the first boolit I cast. That is not to say I haven't gotten my come-pens since. The wheel guns love these things. Now my old ougt-six is a smart-*** put the lee 309-170-F / WW / lee sizer 309 / 26gr H4895 / Alox same old group at 100yd. Can't get 4 out of 5 on a paper plate at 200yd. New load lee 309-200-R / WW / lee sizer 309 / 26gr H4895 / Alox never had group that tight with "them" other slugs at 100yds and paper plates are toast at 200yds. I'm sorry but I will no apologize for not having problems with cast boolits. I will say that I am on the road to creating my own.

Please read this in good hummer as I am not out to offend any one.

Plastics Savage
07-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Just a note.
From now on the wife will proof my ramblings (she can talk more better than me).

Win94ae
07-14-2013, 06:50 AM
I expected cast boolits to be very difficult to make, and especially hard to load develop for. So far, I'm pleased to report it wasn't as hard as I had expected!

My handguns are almost as precise as when using jacketed bullets... I could have been more meticulous with my handgun marksmanship in the past.
It looks as if my 30-30 is going to shoot at about the same precision as jacketed bullets, albeit they are a bit slower. I have a load to test this morning.
I still need to develop loads for my 30-06s.

I didn't expect wind-drift to be as great at these speeds, I'll just have to get used to it.

Plastics Savage
07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
see that's what I'm talking about!

209jones
11-05-2013, 05:01 PM
I started it as a bit of an experiment, I am a tinkerer. I wanted to play with reduced, cheap loads. I built a chicken load for my 7-08, a plinking load for my 7x57, and a gopher load for my 22-250 for shorter ranges.
Then I went to a gun show. Some character pulled out a 32-30win in a Ruger #1 in a schuetzen style, some silly person bought it. Same silly person went and built a 32-40 on an 1885 the next year. And on it went.
After that, it was dangerous to go near a gun show or a store. Oh, look, what a cool gun!!! all I need is some brass, a set of dies, what mould should I get?
Now thinking about a mould for the 300H&H and the 30R Blaser. The 450/400NE is a sweetie to shoot with a 320gr cast at 2040fps.

Casting certainly creates possibilities, as to what a person can buy for a new toy, and what kind of things can be done with it.

karlrudin
01-02-2014, 11:04 PM
I starting to cast bullets because of economics and I strive to learn and experiment till my loads are up to my standards. I inherited half of my loading equipment from my father. Been working with jacketed(condoms as y'all call them)bullets since the old age of 9. Watched my dad make tons of cast bullets for pistol and rifle, but was not allowed to touch at that age. Time went by and his knowledge got lost. My goals are to make cast bullets at least up to par with my jacketed loads. Or keep trying until they do. Spent 6 months on a load that gave me my avatar picture. All the while on the cheap. All low cost components and load data I could find. Plus, just trying to carry on a family tradition, let alone a national tradition.

Ramslammer
01-09-2014, 04:30 PM
G'Day
I cast boolits for a lot of reasons but the two main ones are Supply and Creation.
Supply: Here in Tasmania (home of the Devil) there are few shops and most only stock the popular components. When you go in and ask for some 35 rem stuff, well I don't because they'll never have it. Or .375, 45/70, 44mag,.303,25/20,32/20 the list goes on. So the best way to ensure continuity of supply is to supply yourself.
Creation: Casting Boolits is the only time we take a raw material and create something. When we relod we are only assembling parts, when we shoot we are destroying that assembled round. Unless your skillful enough to build stocks, etc casting is the way of producing things of awe and wonder.
As for cutting costs I'm just building a new rifle because I purchased a Mihec mold and didn't know what to use it in, so there wasn't much savings there!!! But the 30 Apache should be a casters dream.
Keep pouring them everone.
Juddy

LouisianaPatriot
02-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I've only been reloading for 3-4 years and have only recently (the past 6 months) started casting my own for .357mag & 44mag. I originally started out reloading as an economical way of shooting more but it has become a source of enjoyment for me. Casting boolits has given me a greater appreciation for working up loads as well as the weapons I use.
I very rarely post anything to the forums but read voraciously and absorb as much info as possible. THANK YOU to everyone who posts and shares their knowledge so that others like myself can learn.

squirrelnuttz
02-16-2014, 08:36 AM
I learned the basics of reloading from my Dad.It all started with me at 6 or 7 operating the press handle resizing casesfor his hunting rifle.I have been adding to and practicing the skills learned there ever since.Casting was a natural next step, I am/ was very fortunate to have a very knowledgeable family friend get me hooked on casting.In the beginning it was largely about the economical production of handgun ammo, and it still is.However, as the few years since I began casting have gone by, I find myself casting for rifles, shotguns and pistols, and not just to do it on the cheap.I'm quite enjoying the process, and also like depending a little less on store bought bullets.To all those here who take the time to answer questions and impart the gobs of knowledge found here, a sincere thank you!

KD0WSM
02-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Realistic expectations for cast boolits? I don't know. I started casting today for the only caliber that really matters; 41 magnum. [smilie=1:

I've been handloading for almost two years now and decided that it was time to add a little more adventure into the mix. With time, I hope to what casting expectations are realistic.

LAH
02-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Realistic expectations for cast boolits? I don't know. I started casting today for the only caliber that really matters; 41 magnum. [smilie=1:

I've been handloading for almost two years now and decided that it was time to add a little more adventure into the mix. With time, I hope to what casting expectations are realistic.

The 41 Mag.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Loading%20Room%20101/Bullets/41-230-K/DSC02802.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Loading%20Room%20101/Bullets/41-230-K/DSC02802.jpg.html)

Dusty Ed
03-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Bass Akward
How about the nitwits throwing beer cans in the pond.
Dusty Ed

aap2
03-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Realistic expectations for cast boolits? My "standard" is to have my cast boolit reloads shoot at least as well and factory ammo. Initially I cast boolits for the cost savings; back in 1973 I received a Ruger Blackhawk as a high school graduation/going into the Army present, but the cost of factory ammo (even 38 specials) was daunting....I soon realized that my Uncle Sam would supply me with an unlimited supply of 38 special FMJ ammo for free and my Blackhawk was happy to be fed such a diet. But only when I bought reloading gear and was given a boolit mould that I really started to understand reloading and most importantly boolit casting. Back then I had many guns in obsolete calibers that I bought in nearly new condition for a song because ammo wasn't available: 577-450, 577 Snider, .310 Cadet, 8.15 Mauser, 8mm Kropatschek, 7.5 Swiss, 38 Colt Long, 56-50 Spencer, 41 Swiss, 43 Spanish, 11mm Mauser and a host of others....By casting boolits and learning to reform brass I was able to assemble a rather large collection of shooting vintage rifles cheaply (and as a kid I mean really cheaply). Fast forward 50 years and my expectations are the same: my cast boolit loads still beat factory ammo.

Bryan527
03-18-2015, 12:28 AM
I wanted to expand the realm of my handloading and at the same time assure that I could always have boolits for my handguns. It's also a lot cheaper to cast them. A few hours a month gives me all I need.

leebuilder
03-19-2015, 10:24 AM
I started casting toy solders as a boy with my grandfather. Still facinated by the silver stream. Love shooting, and with the price of reloading components and now most importantly shortages all the time. Casting boolits was the natural solution.
I like casting boolits, like sending them down range even more. I have encountered many challenges and failures, shot a least a hundred pounds of keyholes and fliers that never hit paper, but never gave up. I never expected match accuracy just good groupings, every once and a while i get a ragged hole from my cast boolits from a 90 plus year old gun and i am further intruged. I lurked here for many years, I could not join since i was on company computors. Lurked on many milsurp/rifle sites, honestly nothing compares to this site in my books, and I am game for freindly banter at the pull of a trigger. I can get on this site from my phone now so i can add and share now.
Thanks to all that shared and hope to help others any time i can.
Be well
Yours truly
Ralph Morash CD1, RCN(ret)

coffeeguy
03-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Well, I think my initial expectation was to save money. After 20-plus years, there has been some of that, but I think it's more of the idea of spending the same but spaced out in smaller amounts. That, and if you figure in the time involved, it's a 'potato, potahto' kind of thing. What I get most out of it is being able to cast exactly what I want, tailor it to my gun, and enjoy the entire process from locating lead to sending the boolits downrange. It's always a good conversation starter and tons of fun!!!

JonnyReb
03-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Thank you Ralph, awesome post.

Latheman
04-02-2015, 09:47 PM
I started casting in 1999 because I wanted to stockpile ammo for the impending y2k disaster that never materialized. I wanted to be able to always shoot no matter what was going on in the world. That's what got me into casting.

mold maker
04-03-2015, 12:16 PM
I think the savings is a wash. Started out in 1962, to be able to shoot more. Still am, but I think the savings is a wash. All the equipment and supplies would have bought a lot of ammo. The benefit, is definitely in the fun I've had along the way.
That in it's self, is very rewarding, but those little holes, close together, way down there, with my home made, is a matter of pride. I'm sure they would have never happened without casting an re-loading. That's over 52 years of fun, and a life time of self satisfaction.
I'd do it all again. Even the disappointments contributed to the overall enjoyment.

pappy4
04-03-2015, 05:57 PM
I also got into it in 98 or 99. When you have a wife that likes to run through 2 to 300 rounds at a time it was to save money and it did at first. lol Then as I collected more I was saving less but still like to do it. A LOT

FSR
05-26-2015, 04:25 PM
My dad started me casting when I was 10. I never saw the need to buy bullets for the masses when mine did everything I need them and more. I hunt with cast boolits and compete with cast boolits. I expect mine to out perform factory stuff. I love taking my 91/30 and my Finish 24 to the range with CB loads.

Budzilla 19
05-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Mainly I cast to prove a point about lead boolits as compared to factory of any caliber! I can meet or exceed factory lethality with any boolit I cast, for any caliber,but the real reason I started casting was because of my dad. He told me long ago that one day all the cheap ammo was going to go away, so I might ought to learn how to do my own! Gone are the days of $18 per thousand primers, 12# cans of 700X for $85, but the wheel weights he and I scraped together when we both had not two dimes to rub together, ("you know they are not going to be .10 cents forever"), are still around in back of the house! (Most of them, anyhow) All of the safety stuff,("get your head out of the pot and stand upwind, boy!!)and knowledge about lead melting, I learned from him. As I near retirement age,I'M the old guy now, passed it on to any of my kids and family that wanted to listen and learn.Cast boolits, the only way for me to be able to shoot then and now like I wanted to, is because I learned from him.RIP Baldy, I miss ya Pop!

robg
12-31-2016, 10:43 AM
I'd been hand loading for about 16 years when my wife bought me a mold( rcbs) for my 357 mag and a ladle.guy in my club showed me the basics ,what fun making boolits for free which shot better than the boolits I was buying .she really started something in me. now I cast for all my rifles.only use jkt bullets for hunting to be legal.

NAVYENC
01-21-2021, 01:43 AM
OK, here goes. I've been loading for 20 years, been building up casting equipment for the last couple of years. Haven't started casting yet, but I have a brand new Winchester Hi-Wall in 38-55 that will be shot with only lead. From everything I have managed to read and comprehend, a cast bullet will shoot just as good as a jacketed bullet, if not better. If I do my part in casting and loading, I will have a nice 500 yard rifle. as an added benefit I have 3 30-30's and can get the wife out shooting also.

dverna
01-21-2021, 08:54 AM
OK, here goes. I've been loading for 20 years, been building up casting equipment for the last couple of years. Haven't started casting yet, but I have a brand new Winchester Hi-Wall in 38-55 that will be shot with only lead. From everything I have managed to read and comprehend, a cast bullet will shoot just as good as a jacketed bullet, if not better. If I do my part in casting and loading, I will have a nice 500 yard rifle. as an added benefit I have 3 30-30's and can get the wife out shooting also.

You have been reading fairy tales. A cast bullet will NEVER outperform a good jacketed bullet. You are heading down a long frustrating road with that perception in your head. A reasonable expectation is to double the groups you get with jacketed bullets.

toallmy
01-21-2021, 09:34 AM
After a few years I have came to a 2 inch or close to it - 100 yard group with a rifle most of the time works for me .
Handguns well that depends I'm not that good with them , the little devils just keep wiggling around but a 4 inch 25 yard load puts a lot of holes in my targets with most of my magazine loaded handguns . I'm working on the 50 yard handgun shooting but it's not coming easily to me .
But I am enjoying it very much !

Bent Ramrod
01-21-2021, 11:23 AM
The .38-55 and .32-40 are kind of special circumstances. Loaded carefully with cast boolits at the original black powder velocities, they are capable of fine accuracy out to 200-300yd or so. With a modern tighter twist barrel, the longer boolits out of a .38-55 can reach out further, but they will be affected by the wind more than a .40 or .45.

The jacketed bullet loadings of the .32-40 and .38-55 were typically offered in the “Hi-Speed” smokeless powder ammunition as a means of bringing the calibers into the effectiveness level of the .30-30 and .32 Special for hunting. These loadings were accurate enough for deer hunting at woods ranges but would not win a Scheutzen or benchrest match.

You could conceivably load the jacketed bullets down to a level that would beat the cast boolit loads for accuracy, but whether the difference would be significant would be in the eye of the beholder. Jacketed .38s are expensive, and available in a limited selection of weights and diameters, whereas cast boolits have a greater variety of both, with a better chance of matching the potential of your rifle.

waksupi
01-23-2021, 02:29 PM
You have been reading fairy tales. A cast bullet will NEVER outperform a good jacketed bullet. You are heading down a long frustrating road with that perception in your head. A reasonable expectation is to double the groups you get with jacketed bullets.

You must be doing something wrong. My cast loads are equal or better than jacketed.

green mountain boy
01-23-2021, 07:07 PM
I watched my father reload 38 specials with a local vermont state trooper around 1962, and knew i would love to try that. when he was working i would pick the lock on his gun cabinet to look at the reloading gear he had. fast forward to 1967 and i went into the air force, was assigned to air police (the name was changed to security police the same month) during tech school i was given the duty to sweep floors in the air force marksmanship section on lackland afb texas. that section was full of armors working on pistols and rifles tinkering to make them better, and a lot of reloading was being done in another part of that building. i was in heaven! at my first base after tech school we had to bi annually qualify with .38s and m-16. i became friends with the range officers and they let me have all the empty brass. i stockpiled the 38s and bought a model 28 smith,i sold the 5.56 to a local gun shop (traded mostly) for the dies, powder, bullets, primers to get me started, i found an rcbs press at a garage sale....the rest is almost history. many state championships were to follow as i learned, got better, and found any shooting match i could to enter within driving distance in the next 50 plus years. now the eyes are not what they once were and i seldom compete any more...oh i could still go and they would know i was there, but the young eyes and reflexes would be atop the podiums . and that is the way it should be, it is part of this long process we call life, and i have no regrets whatsoever for this long life and hobby i have lived . i still reload weekly and get to the range when i can, but mostly teach others now and try and guide them in the right direction. i am honored to pass my knowledge for many helped me on my journey.

dtknowles
01-24-2021, 01:42 AM
You must be doing something wrong. My cast loads are equal or better than jacketed.

Horses for courses, you are both right and wrong. Best bench rest jacketed bullet groups are less than half the size of the best cast bullet bench rest groups. In your run of the mill 9mm pistol you probably would not see an accuracy difference between cast and jacketed. My 357 cast bullet ammo is more accurate than factory jacketed bullet ammo. In my .22 hornet Hornady factory ammo is more accurate than any ammo I have loaded and I have tried very hard with my handloads. My jacketed bullet hand loads are more than twice as accurate as my cast bullet handloads. Still, I mostly shoot cast bullets.

I can't imagine anyone loading blackpowder cartridges with jacketed bullets and if they did I doubt they would improve accuracy.

This is not a single variable calculation.

Tim