PDA

View Full Version : Stuff to see and do in Utah

Thumbcocker
06-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Last year Mrs. Thumbcocker and I did a western road trip. We took a real liking to Utah and saw Zion National Park and quite a bit of the south western part of the state. We plan on going back sometime in September and would like to see more of Utah. We both want to see the dinosaur stuff around Price.

We both like scenery, native culture/history, moderate hikes and shooting rocks in open spaces. We are in good health but not super shape so rock climbing is out. We are not averse to sleeping in the truck with the topper if it is worth it to see or do neat stuff. We have no rigid schedule and want to do some free style road tripping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GLL
06-05-2015, 09:10 PM
The Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry is a must-see if you are near Price ! I take my Geology students there each summer as we travel through Utah on our way to Wyoming and Montana
Spectacular specimens of Allosaurus ! Most of the beautiful museum specimens in the U.S. come from that quarry !

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/price/recreation/quarry.html

Jerry

C.F.Plinker
06-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Cedar Breaks, Capitol Reef, Arches, Monument Valley (I know it's just over the border) Edge of the Cedars in Blanding, Newspaper Rock, Dead Horse Point. For the Native American archeology get a copy of the AAA Indian Country Map. Hovenweep.

Sweetpea
06-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Um, yes, Monument Valley is in the Navajo Nation, but it still falls within the borders of Utah...

Don Purcell
06-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Was in that area almost two months ago and loved it. If it wasn't for the grandkids wife and I would be out there and to hell with Illinois.

swamp
06-05-2015, 11:47 PM
I would suggest Goblin Valley. A state park. One of my favorites.
swamp

Buck Neck It
06-06-2015, 12:30 AM
If you have 4 wheel drive, Canyon Lands!

starmac
06-06-2015, 04:19 AM
MOAB, nuff said. lol If you happen to get south of Moab, check out the hole in the rock.

historicfirearms
06-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Moab is awesome. If your truck is four wheel drive, there are some easier trails that you could take it on. The rock there is smooth and has a ton of traction, almost like driving on pavement traction. Some parts will be so steep that all you can see is sky! Make sure to check out Arches National Park if you go there.

.30/30 Guy
06-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Come up a little farther north to Vernal. Dinosaur National Monument, Utah Museum of Natural History, Flaming Gorge Reservoir, raft trips down the Green River. We have some good petroglyphs and some dinosaur tracks. Lots of good sagebrush.

Free guide service. Also dinosaur hunting licences.

Firebricker
06-06-2015, 09:50 PM
If you do head to Arches National Park stop in Sunny Side there is a small monument that tells of the mining opertion there. If you drive back in there you can still see the mining carts hanging on the cables. FB

SciFiJim
06-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Maybe pay Al a visit at NOE. I would suggest contacting him first.

flyingmonkey35
06-07-2015, 12:55 AM
That time of year. If your in the salt lake city area. Hit up a ski resort and take a ski lift to the top for some nice light hiking and awesome views.

You also can't beat timpagonos cave up American fork canyon , with the alpine loop.

Lots of things to see and do.

Take photos and let us know what your up to.

jonp
06-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Is the big salt tower with the Mortons Salt Girl still up near the lake? It's been years since I've been there. the buffalo are pretty neat and the Bonneville Salt Flats are something strange. Of course the Mormon Temple in the City if your there. You might go see the Bingham Copper Mine. Do they have tours of one of the largest open pit mines in the world?

Nedra's in Kanab used to have the best Salsa in the country. I spent some time up that way cruising timber on the Dixie National Forest one summer near Duck Creek.

Sweetpea
06-07-2015, 08:51 PM
JonP, Nedras is still there...

I don't know if you can tour the mine, but I believe there is a Visitor's center, where you can view from.

I do know that you can tour the Barnes factory in Mona, near Nephi. My wife and son were convinced that the coolest thing there was the machine that aligns the blue plastic tips upright, for insertion into the bullet noses...[smilie=b:

The Dixie National Forest sure has some great scenery around here, with good hunting to boot!

waksupi
06-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Speed Week at Bonneville Salt Flats. Watch the fastest in the world.

marvelshooter
06-07-2015, 10:23 PM
If you do head to Arches National Park stop in Sunny Side there is a small monument that tells of the mining opertion there. If you drive back in there you can still see the mining carts hanging on the cables. FB
I just arrived in Moab this afternoon for 4 nights and will be visiting Arches tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up about Sunny Side. Canyon Lands on Tuesday and maybe Dead Horse State Park on Wednesday before heading back to Denver on Thursday.

waarp8nt
06-07-2015, 10:26 PM
We just took a tour of the Colorado / Utah area. Hit several National Parks. My family and I love Zion National Park too. If you happen to make it up North to Salt Lake, it is only a short drive farther to Ogden. My family and I really enjoyed Union Station, for a modest fee there are several museum displays including Utah State Train Museum, (Matt) Browning / Kimball Car Collection and of course the John Browning Firearms Museum. Several of Mr. Browning's original firearms designs are on display. The restaurant in Union Station was good too.

runfiverun
06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
if your in the southern part of Utah a drive down the highway will provide plenty of entertainment.
Hwy 89 below central Utah [Price on down] will just point you in different directions as you go along.
watch for the signs and follow one, you'll waste a week just B.S'in with the people you run into.

jonp
06-09-2015, 05:10 PM
JonP, Nedras is still there...

I don't know if you can tour the mine, but I believe there is a Visitor's center, where you can view from.

I do know that you can tour the Barnes factory in Mona, near Nephi. My wife and son were convinced that the coolest thing there was the machine that aligns the blue plastic tips upright, for insertion into the bullet noses...[smilie=b:

The Dixie National Forest sure has some great scenery around here, with good hunting to boot!
Camped all summer in a tent and cruised timber. One of the best summers I can remember. Summer before I spent several weeks camped on the North Rim of Grand Canyon searching for Goshawks and Spotted Owls. Watching the sunrise over the canyon every morning and getting paid for it seemed criminal

I cored one old blue spruce on the edge of a clearing that sprouted in 1492. Ill never forget looking at that tree and wondering what it has seen. Tagged it as a wildlife tree and it is probably still there.

jonp
06-09-2015, 05:18 PM
if your in the southern part of Utah a drive down the highway will provide plenty of entertainment.
Hwy 89 below central Utah [Price on down] will just point you in different directions as you go along.
watch for the signs and follow one, you'll waste a week just B.S'in with the people you run into.
Cross the river going south and there is a turn-out if you know where to look with a trail down to a sandbar almost under the dam. A friend and I spent an afternoon drinking beer, waving to rafters and catching 5lb Rainbows until the dam release made us leave