PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer arms 1860 army revolver help

1johnlb
06-05-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm thinking about buying a used Pioneer arms 1860 army. I've never owned a BP pistol before and always wanted one. Is there any major problems with buying used BP revolvers, anything I should watch out for. I can't find any info on pioneer revolvers, so does anyone have any experience with them.

Beagle333
06-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Is there any major problems with buying used BP revolvers, anything I should watch out for.

Give a little more info about where you are buying it and it will help weed out extra suggestions that aren't possible. There are a lot of things that you can check if you got time/access..... Can you shoot it? Can you take it home, as in belongs to a buddy/range friend maybe? Is it just somewhere online? Is it in a pawn shop/gun store? How much disassembly will they allow? etc.

1johnlb
06-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Online, they do allow returns though. I just have to pay shipping. Although I can ask questions over the phone if I knew what to ask.

My biggest concern is with, Pioneer Arms. All I can find out about them is they seem to be importers not manufactorers.

The pistol itself is stainless with a fluted cylinder and brass trigger gaurd.

Gunor
06-05-2015, 11:34 AM
My only thought is parts. I have a Navy Arms 1858 that I bought in High School. I needed to replace some internals - Kinda of hard to find 'drop-in' replacements. Hand fitting I understand - but there was some large differences.

Pietta and Uberti - good parts sources these days.

pietro
06-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Euro replica BP guns will usually have a maker's mark and a date code stamped into the metal somewhere, with some arms requiring disassembly to view them.

Unless it was made by a major player like Uberti or Pietta, I'd take a pass, mostly due to repair parts made of unobtainium.

Given my druthers, you'll want to check for the usual suspects - rust, cracks, gouges/scratches, replacement nipple size/availability, barrel looseness with the wedge installed, tight cylinder arbor, etc, etc

Wayne Smith
06-06-2015, 12:24 PM
First thing to ask is who makes the pistol? Second thing to ask is what do they do to it? Anything?

Southron
06-07-2015, 01:19 AM
The main thing is to avoid "Chainfires."

These occur when you fire a shot and one or more of the OTHER CHAMBERS FIRE ALMOST SIMULTANEOUSLY!

Here are the two things that must be done to avoid chainfires:

1. Use lead balls that shave a "ring of lead" off their circumference when they are pushed into the chamber by the loading lever.
This "ring of lead" assures you that your ball has an "Air (fire) tight fit into the chamber.

2. Use tight fitting percussion caps. More chainfires are probably the result of using loose fitting percussion caps than anything else.

shunka
06-07-2015, 03:51 AM
Pioneer Arms is an importer. I have seen some 1860's marked Pioneer Arms which were marked "RG" and/or Uberti. Other Big question is price. If it is actually stainless, and not plated or polished carbon steel, that alone is a premium. If it is actually an Uberti made stainless 1860 then you found a dandy. As Pietro posted, ask them for close up pics showing makers name, or marks. If you can post such pics that will help us determine the maker.
yhs
shunka

1johnlb
06-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Stamped on the right side is:

Black Powder Only - Made in Italy ( on the barrel )

Model 1860 Army
Oal .44

There's also two stamps that look like , 1st a shield with a pic of a knight with a line through it and a circle over it.
2cd, is a PN with what looks like a crown over it. ( IN FRONT OF THE CYLINDER)

On the right side of the frame is also the PN with what looks like a bears head or lions head which is also on the side of the cylinder between the flutes. Then there's a AB inside of a box on the frame below the cylinder. And then another box with what looks like a star inside of a circle.

On the left of the barrel in front of the cylinder is, -W14E-

On the top of the barrel, in the sight line; looks like ,
" RG " PIONEER ARMS - MADE IN ITALY

Beagle333
06-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Some of those also have Pietta's trademark on them as well. (the pictured one below is of a Pietta).
So it might be Uberti, but might be Pietta, based on some of the other marks.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/36%20Remington/rg.jpg

The AB in the box means it was made in 1976.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/Guns/Italiandatecodes-2013.png

The letters FAP in a diamond is a Pietta trademark.
The Uberti trademark is a U in an octagon which is actually a rifled barrel looking at it from the muzzle .

This might help. It shows both, and tells more about some of the others.
http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

1johnlb
06-07-2015, 09:16 AM
It looks like the Gardone markings. So with that, how hard are parts to come by? What's its worth? Their asking $250. Do they have inherit problems that I should be aware of? Would I be just as well off buying a new one, especially since I'm new to bp revolvers.

Thanks for all the help,
John

Rio Grande
06-13-2015, 01:14 PM
$250.....I'd pass. You can get a new Pietta for around that at Cabelas.