PDA

View Full Version : Replacement iron sights for Marlin 1895

Norske
06-04-2015, 01:27 PM
My Marlin has a 1-4X Leupold slug gun scope with heavy cross hairs on a Weaver pivot mount. the sckpoe mount holes are filled. I'd like a rear sight blade with a simple vee, no little center notch, no buckhorn wings. I would also like a big white or tritium dot on the front, replacing that invisible little brass bead. I'm thinking a handgun sight will work for the front, but does anyone know of an express vee rear blade that will replace that buckhorn rear?
Ghost rings don't work well with variable bifocals, I've tried one.

pietro
06-04-2015, 03:53 PM

www.xssights.com has the front sight you want, and N.E.C.G. has the rear(s): http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Rear_Sights.asp

One, two, or three leaf express sights are available, also available as a single leaf un-notched/unfinished (needs zeroing) dovetail-mounted express sights.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/uploads/myphotos/1LeafCasssic.lrg.jpg

Norske
06-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Actually, I want to replace the existing rear sight blade with an express style blade. Except for very dim light, the scope works very well. If the front bead was big enough and bright enough, I could even use a dovetail rear sight. I just find the tiny brass bead/buckhorn rear useless.
Think black bear just before dark. I found myself in that position last week. Even when the guide showed up with a powerful light and 12 gauge shotgun, the bear was so impressed with two armed men, instead of running he grabbed another mouthful off the bait station.

bearcove
06-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Yeah, its a black bear they eat. you too if given a chance. A red dot or a 1X might be best

pietro
06-05-2015, 11:28 AM

Unlike a red-dot sight, if a fiber-optic isn't "lit up", whether @ dawn or dusk, it's too dark to shoot an animal legally in most US jurisdictions.

W.R.Buchanan
06-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Yes if it's dusk performance you are looing for the Red Dot sight is the way to go. You can use it for hunting and then take it off for regular shooting and then put it back on for hunting next year.

Then nobody can say you're not cool for having a Red Dot sight on a levergun.

Randy