PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Industrial Flange Mount Stem Thermometer

Naphtali
06-03-2015, 12:08 PM
New Cooper Industrial Flange Mount Stem Thermometers, with temperature discrimination from 200 to 1000 degrees, have been at sale on eBay for more than a year. Specifications listed appear to be impressive at their sale price - comparable with RCBS and Lyman casting thermometers.

Anyone who has experience with this thermometer used as bullet casting aid, please reply with brief evaluation of your experience and, perhaps, positive (or negative) endorsement.

mongoose33
06-07-2015, 08:13 AM
New Cooper Industrial Flange Mount Stem Thermometers, with temperature discrimination from 200 to 1000 degrees, have been at sale on eBay for more than a year. Specifications listed appear to be impressive at their sale price - comparable with RCBS and Lyman casting thermometers.

Anyone who has experience with this thermometer used as bullet casting aid, please reply with brief evaluation of your experience and, perhaps, positive (or negative) endorsement.

I presume this is the one to which you're referring?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooper-Atkins-2225-20-Stainless-Steel-Bi-Metals-Industrial-Flange-Mount-/161673834341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a482ef65

I think it depends on what you're trying to do with it--are you looking for a thermometer for a lead pot? If so, I don't think this will do--the temperature probe looks to be maybe 1.5 inches long. I think this type of themometer is used for things like pizza ovens where you drill a hole in the side of the oven, push the probe through the hole, and screw the flange to the side of the oven.

FWIW, if you search "cooper atkins thermometer" on Ebay, you'll find TON of various types of thermometers.

JSnover
06-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Yeah, the temperature range is good but the probe is a little short, IMO. I bought a Trerice a few years ago with about a 6" probe because I wanted to make sure I got deep enough for a good read. They're a little pricey.

Hardcast416taylor
06-07-2015, 10:01 AM
I solved my need for a casting therometer that had a range from 200 - 1200 degrees. Being a retired plumber and having accumulated "stuff" over the years I tried a boiler temp gauge. It has an 8" stem and a large dial, about 3" if I recall. Been using it for about 10 years with no problems.Robert

1_Ogre
06-07-2015, 12:40 PM
You can build yourself a PID for the lead pot for just a little more money, then you can SET your temperature to what works best for the moulds. Iron doesn't need the temp like a brass mould. Do the temp setting once, record it for each mould and your set.