PDA

View Full Version : Favorite .45-70 457122 loads ?

Old Ironsights
03-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Just got my 457122 in and gonna start casting 'em up for my Japchester 1886 TD

For the moment, I'm going to load Varget 'cause that's what I've got a pound of.

Here's my Loading plan:

457122 as cast, WW, LLA Tumble & dip.

100 NIB Star Line brass.

Lee Loader. (I want to handle each round/load individually).

I don't have a sizer.

Once I run out of Varget, what powder provides the most flexability across load densities to be able to load soft or (reasonably) hot?

threett1
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Gotta love that mold. Those boolits have taken several deer for me and a friend now. They will have a chance on piggies next month. My load; 45gr AA 2230C, Win brass, CCI 200 primers for about 1500-1600fps out of my Guide Gun and Handi Rifle. Oddly enough, mine throws slugs at 340gr, where a lot of guys get 320. No complaints here. The 2230C is a data powder that is extremely close to 2460.

Old Ironsights
03-20-2008, 06:29 PM
I need to order a Flat Point pin for it too...

StrawHat
03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Until the flat pin arrives, try putting a pure lead round ball (.445 I think) in the nose of a hot mold.

Let the ball warm up a bit and fill the base with what's in your pot. For me that would be 20-1 or 30-1. Not much difference.

For you, with WW, that would be a good hard base and nice soft nose.

Kind of a Partition Boolit.

After the flat pin comes in you can heat the mold to allow the ball to melt prior to pouring the base.

Use a flat punch to push through the sizing die and you flatten the nose enough for the magazine tube.

Results similar to the HP version, but not as slow.

I load black powder, so not much help to you there.

Good luck.

Old Ironsights
03-20-2008, 06:42 PM
I load black powder, so not much help to you there.
Actually, I will be loading some BP too. Not as much, and mostly to get the feel for it, but I think it's a good thing to know for if/when NitroPowder is regulated out of existence.

I can MAKE Black powder... :twisted:

longhorn
03-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Speaking as one who works with dangerous chemicals all day long, every day.........making black powder would rank somewhere below learning to effectively use a spear on my "to do" list! You're better off buying now and hoarding. Making bp is a dangerous and unforgiving endeavor.......