PDA

View Full Version : Another Noob Alox Question

Jeffery8mm
03-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a couple of questions regarding the use of LLA. One is does it help if the boolits are warmer than room temp when you tumble them?? Queastion 2. On both the Lee tumble lube version and a lyman version of a boolit, after I lube, you can tell the alox is on teh boolit, but after it 'dries', it seems like the lube is not as noticible. Do the boolits "absorb" some of the lube?? The alox so far has been great, NO leading to speak of. I havent shot the non tumble type 44's yet, but I am hoping they will do well also. Sposed to have a tumble lube 44 mold on the way from calsite!!
Thanks for helping out the beginner!!!!

Jeff

Ricochet
03-20-2008, 02:02 PM
It does help if the stuff's a bit warm. Many people thin the stuff with solvent. As it comes, it's 55% Alox and 45% solvent. Dunno if that's by weight or volume, but the volume goes down a lot as it dries.

Sprue
03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Jeff, take and hold the bottle of LLA under hot running water. Keep it there for a few minutes. You will be able to hear it slosh around when it gets warm/thin.

If you size them via Lee Sizer put about 8-10 drops of LLA on them and size away.

Next,

I then put about a dozen drops (or so) into a tub of about 100-150 bullets. Shake/swirl for a couple mins. I then let them set over night. The next day they will be slightly tacky.....load them up.

It doesn't take a whole lot of lube. I used to double lube them but I don't do that any more. Really makes the pistol turn black. If you have a tub of some bullets lubed sitting beside at tub thats not, you will see a difference in color.

Good Luck

454PB
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I use a microwave oven to warm and thin the LLA, I happen to have one in my shop. If you don't have one in your loading room, just take the container of boolits to your wife's kitchen and warm it in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds (make sure you open the spout). Dump the LLA on as if you were putting chocolate syrup on a bowl of ice cream, then put on the lid and slowly tumble the container over and over so you don't ding the boolits. I like to stand them up on wax paper on their bases to get equal distribution. If you happen to use too much, it will run off and pool on the wax paper.

truckmsl
03-21-2008, 02:21 PM
What works for me is to heat up the bullets in an old toaster oven, put them in a plastic ice cream container, sprinkle some liquid alox on them and a dollup of Johnson's paste wax, and swish 'em all around. With the JPW they dry over night and are not sticky at all. I've run plain lead bullets up to 1500 fps through my Marlin with this mix and 50/50 wheel weights / range lead and have experienced no leading whatsoever.

Jeffery8mm
03-21-2008, 10:12 PM
can someone post a link to this paste wax? Is it car wax or furniture wax??
Thanks for all the info
Jeff

Ricochet
03-22-2008, 12:11 AM
It's floor wax, mostly. Furniture, too.

44man
03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I have bottles of the stuff that came with the sizers. I finally found a use for it. I load .38's for a friends snubby so I found a way to get rid of it. [smilie=1: