PDA

View Full Version : New shooting house

Gussy
03-20-2008, 12:01 PM
A couple of weeks back, I started bunching up all the left over and scrap building materials I had. After an inventory and some scrounging from a buddy, I made a plan for a new enclosed shooting house.

So far I've invested about $100.00 cash plus all the other stuff I had. The materials allowed me to build a 6'X8' shed. It's enclosed on 3 sides and has a bench and enough room to also allow me to shoot prone from under the bench. I'll put a lower door that can be opened for that.

It's almost done and I'm down to a couple of details. It's tin sided so I'm working on some sound deadening. I had a couple of sheet of commercial sound board that I'm going to use, mostly on the ceiling angled between ceiling joists.

I don't have enough board to do the walls so I'm thinking carpet if I can find some.

Any other ideas on sound deadening???

R.M.
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I have no idea how well they work, but I've seen egg flats covering the walls of shooting shacks. No doubt, you will need to cover that steel somehow.

Cherokee
03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Sounds great ! I have used instulation for sound reduction in my basement.

1Shirt
03-21-2008, 08:59 AM
How about a picture or two!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Gussy
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I know this framing looks like over kill, but the price was right. Timber framed with treated 6X6's. Half price as they were twisted or warped. The rest is left overs or scrounged. The tin is cover sheets and it was free. I did have to buy paint to match the other buildings. The runners are 10' long and the posts are 8' and 9' high. Not totally framed in this photo. Total out of pocket was well under $200.00

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/jimc99328/shootingshack2.jpg

In position. Part of the over framing is because this is over my septic tank and it will have to be moved from time to time.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/jimc99328/shootingshack1.jpg

LAH
03-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Nice.......Creeker

xtimberman
03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Gee Gussy, that's a really nice shootin' house. Do you have room to put a heater in it? Thick fiberglass batting under the carpet for sound insulation?

xtm

Gussy
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Gee Gussy, that's a really nice shootin' house. Do you have room to put a heater in it? Thick fiberglass batting under the carpet for sound insulation?

xtm

No carpet, but I have put sound board on the ceiling and upper walls. I'm only 20' from power and I plan on a small heater in the colder months. I think I can use at least the 100 and 200 yd targets most of the year. Probably not in Dec & Jan. when it's coldest.
Gus

Freightman
03-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Go to a carpet layers and they will give you the cutting from jobs they have done, they have to haul it off or have someone to.