PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog 170gr Powder coat or regular lube???

41mag
06-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Well here is the deal, I have several of the RD molds and they are of the tumble lube design. I have not shot any of them yet, but have a bunch poured up. These all have GC bases and I have installed some checks on powder coated ones, tumble lubed ones, and some I ran through and lubed with Carnuba Red. I want to load these with the Youth type or light loads using H-4895 for my Ruger Compact in .308. I doubt I will get them up to or over 2500fps at tops, as that is about all i get with my hunting loads through the short little 16.5" barrel. I would like to know if this sounds like a feasible project before I load up a bunch and end up having to pull them all. The alloy use to pour them was 1/3/96, and they were water dropped if that makes any difference. I sure would appreciate any input from those who have done similar loads. Thanks

Jupiter7
06-01-2015, 11:14 AM
I load the 311-165RD(173 PC'd) in the 30-30 up to 2kFps. These aren't really reduced loads at that speed for the 30-30. I've had MOA success to date. Depending on how tight your chamber is, you might have to seat a little deeper with PC. I say go for it. I'd also try some with the classic 10gr unique, fun shooting and has proven accurate for many, including myself.

Yodogsandman
06-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I have a similar project going with a 16 1/2" Mauser, FR-8, 7.62x51 (308). I'm using oven HT'd, NOE Ranch Dog 311-165 SC RG-2 boolits which have regular lube grooves and with the HP pins it drops at 163gr. Alloy used is COWW's with 2% Sn added. While I haven't chronographed it, it seems to be running about 2500 FPS using 41.0gr W760 and WLRM primers, it hits the same P.O.I. as my 165gr jacketed loads at 2530 FPS. I'm hoping that the HP'd boolits don't slump at these speeds. I haven't tried PC yet, accuracy never seems to be as good as with lubed, so far. I've used both Ben's Red and 2500+ lubes with about equal accuracy. This is a "work in progress", I'm getting vertical stringing with 10 shot groups at 100 yards of 1"x4". It might be too much heat on the barrel...the first few shots will be touching or clumped together. I can still fit another 4-5gr powder in the case so, will slowly increase the charges next. Maybe try the flat nose to see if the HP's are slumping.

popper
06-01-2015, 05:25 PM
40.5 gr H4895 under a 170GC gives me 2450 avg from a 308 carbine, HF red PC. It is not a 'youth' load by any means. I dropped down to 20 gr. in the 30/30 for a fun load (~1200 fps).
1/3/96, and they were water dropped That should work. I used that with the RD in 30/30. Biggest problem is seating with the GC in the neck, it was designed for the long neck 30/30 not the short neck 308.

41mag
06-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

Yes this is also experimental as well, and if I had as much of another powder I would try something else, but I have enough H4895 to last a good while so thought I would use some of it rather than buy something new.

Also I coated these after installing the GC and yes the base of the GC is sitting just at the shoulder. If they weren't plastered on by the PC I might have concerns but as it is I don't think I'll have any issue.

I was going to use the 60% rule for reduction which should be around 38 grs. to begin with and work up from there. That should drop me into the 30-30 ballpark hopefully.

I have a couple of other ones to try as well, but these will get me started.

41mag
06-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Well I managed to get some of these as well as some other cast all loaded up with 38grs of H-4895 down the barrel this weekend. Time didn't allow a chrono but they all shot well and were not leading any that I could detect. I have to say though the recovered pieces left me a bit disenchanted. No issue though I know I can go harder, and now know they will shoot being pretty soft.