PDA

View Full Version : why do they do this to me!!!

Lloyd Smale
03-20-2008, 05:34 AM
If any of you have been following on the group buy forum youll notice ive been pushing for a copy of my rcbs 255 .45 bullets. This is an excellent bullet and is one of those designs that just seems to shoot in everything. Now the problem is that rcbs (and previously ohras) has decided to change this mold three times. the other two not being near as good of a a bullet. Well i finally found one of the old orhas molds for sale and it was like new and only 30 bucks. I thought i had died and gone to heaven until it arrived. It is a differnt design again so that makes 4 different ones now ive found. this one has the same small round grease grove but has a longer nose and a wider first driving band and is a longer overall bullet. Ive never seen this version before and dont have a clue as to whether it will shoot or not but im not holding my breath. Lyman has played the same game with the 429421 and a few others . Why do they have to alter things that work. Its like they want to feel they know more then the guy who designed the bullet.

jleneave
03-20-2008, 05:55 AM
I know exactly how you feel. It seems that every time I find something that I really like and works well for me, whether it be a bullet design, a type of ammunition, a gun, or even a fishing lure, some genius comes along and thinks he can make it even better or discontinues it altogether. The majority of the time when Mr. Genius thinks he improved it, all he did was totally screw it up. I guess they never heard of the old saying, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!”. Oh Well, what can you do? If I find something like that I really like I usually try to get 2 or 3 of them to put back as spares in case I need them.

Bass Ackward
03-20-2008, 06:28 AM
When you always made that recommendation over the years, I wondered to myself which one you were talking about. :grin:

Sometimes factory mold makers wanted to change the design. Especially if they got complaints that customers can't chamber the design. This is common for smaller front bands on handgun bullets and bore ride noses on rifle bullets. It's also why they use the hardest practical mix for determining diameter so that everything else will be smaller from that point on down.

But since they don't make their cherries, sometimes they just received a different cherry and decide to use it.

Imagine trying to make a living as a cherry cutter? Imagine the massive profits? So some machine shop probably gave a small job like that to the new guy with the dreaded instructions: knock this out before you go on break. :grin: Might be lucky it doesn't look like a fishing sinker.

Lloyd Smale
03-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Well ive seen two versions now with square lube groves and two with round. The good one is .688 with a round crimp grove and casts about 250 out of my alloy which is close to #2 the new one is .743 and casts at 265. It has a smaller base band and smaller middle band and a simular top band with a much longer nose and a simular metplat. All 4 of these molds have been marked 255 swc. Theyd have to be casting out of monotype to get this one at 255. Hopefully nei will get this group buy right and i wont have to worry about finding another one anymore.