PDA

View Full Version : Crummy news...

375supermag
05-31-2015, 09:26 AM
Hi...

Our 14-1/2 yr old Black Lab (Wesson)has been having more and more trouble with going up and down steps lately.
2 weeks ago, he fell down the steps and lost control of his bowels while nobody was home. My wife came home and found him laying in a mess at the bottom of the steps.

We got him cleaned up, but he can't seem to work his hind legs properly anymore.
Anyway, we finally got a vet appointment Friday and the news ain't good. He has a mass on his spleen and is severely anemic. The vet says the mass is probably cancerous and is pressing on his bladder causing him to leak urine sometimes. The vet expects he has a few months left, if he doesn't bleed internally.
He is alert, in no pain and has a good appetite, so they gave us a steroid med to try and help him. The vet said we should see results in a week or so, if he doesn't become more energetic, then the meds probably aren't going to help. They may give him an iron supplement for the anemia, but probably not if the steroid doesn't help his legs.
We will continue to help him up and down the steps and keep him well-fed and comfortable.

Sad days ahead...we knew this was coming at some point, but still...
My wife has been crying since Friday...she didn't think he was coming home from the vet's. His litter mate had to be put down three and a half years ago, during the height of my most recent cancer scare. My wife was never able to properly grieve over that pup because of my terminal cancer diagnosis(which was thankfully rescinded a few months later). I fear that when Wesson passes, my wife will be devastated.

I am now 60, so at 14-1/2 years, I have had this pup for almost a quarter of my life. Wesson has been a good dog, well-trained and obedient. Also tolerant of our presence in what he regards as his house.

fivegunner
05-31-2015, 09:53 AM
I read your post and it made me sad,I am sorry for what your going through, I have had 3 dogs that I had to put down in my life. I knew they only live for so long , but it hurt so bad to lose them . mine lived a long life (for a dog) , and I`ll always miss them , its part of life. I hope to see them when I die. my advice when the time come`s, have your vet come out to your car or truck to give him the shot he wont be as afraid, as dogs do when they go to the vet`s office. Give him lot`s of love . best regards Frank

JSnover
05-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear that. Tumors are common in old dogs like yours and like my 16 year-old beagle, now deceased. Keep him comfortable. He knows you love him.

justingrosche
05-31-2015, 10:01 AM
I had to put down my dog of 13 years a couple of months ago. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But it came down to, was I keeping him alive for me, or was it best for him? (Teddy) had similar problems as your beloved friend, the back end wasn't working and the plumbing had gone to hell.
I was with him until the end, as I feel he would have been for me.
My heart truly goes out to you.

MrWolf
05-31-2015, 10:05 AM
We are going through something similiar. One of our two dogs, both litter mates, was given six months to live which was over a year ago. Know it is going to happen and nothing we can do about it. Hang in there and be with him till the end.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-31-2015, 02:28 PM
Sorry to hear this. Not much more I can say that the others haven't already. I had to put my boy down a few years back and I did it at the very first sign he showed discomfort. It is hard to do, because selfishly we never want to let them go. I made sure my boy never went through the pain that was looming ahead. He deserved it.

smokeywolf
05-31-2015, 03:18 PM
Just as having a dog in the family one of life's greatest blessings, saying goodbye is certainly the most heart wrenching act a dog lover must face. Know that because of you and your Mrs., Wesson has had the best life with lots of love.
Your post shows that no one else could give him more.

You can tell by my avatar that I'm a dog lover.

AZ-JIM
05-31-2015, 03:24 PM
We had to put our lab down a few weeks before her 13th birthday (2yrs ago). Like the others have said keep him comfortable and give him love. That was the worst decision I have ever had to make, and still feel like a jerk for it, but it was best for her. We went about 4 months and I couldn't take the quiet in the house so we started looking for another one. We found one and he is as cool as could be.

Remember all the good times with him often, it helps a little

az-jim

gray wolf
05-31-2015, 04:01 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your Dog, truly sorry.

I will never understand why such great Animals live for such a short time.

Sam

nvbirdman
05-31-2015, 04:46 PM
I had to put my black lab down six months ago. When I called a friend and told him, he was very surprised and asked why? I simply told him it was time. I could have had her for a few more months, but sooner or later the pain would have started and she might as well go before any pain starts. I have a two week trip planned at the end of the year, and after I get back I will start looking for another companion/best friend.

Teddy (punchie)
05-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Feel for you!! Sorry for your buddy being under the weather.

shooter93
05-31-2015, 05:45 PM
The saddest events in my life has been the loss of pets. I always get another because I don't like the thought of living without them but I know how you feel.

TXGunNut
05-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend. Sad thing about dogs is that we generally seem them as puppies, watch them grow up and watch them grow old. Seems it all goes by too fast. Cherish your memories and when the time comes, let him go as best you can.

Artful
05-31-2015, 09:42 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

MaryB
05-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Prayers sent.

Pets may have short lives but they pack more love into that short time than most people manage in a lifetime!

Bullwolf
06-01-2015, 03:32 AM
My first black lab suffered a similar fate. After 14 years of life, he began having problems getting up and down. He could not control his urine of stool anymore, and became quite swollen in the abdomen. When I took him to the vet I found out he had a tumor, and that he was anemic. (from leaking/bleeding internally it was assumed) Surgery was not an option at his age, and I was instructed to enjoy what time we had left.

Very similar to your story, however my black lab also was having seizures. They were absolutely heartbreaking to witness.

I kept a rubber sheet underneath him on the bed, and fresh towels and blankets which were washed and changed daily.

Had to pick him up around the middle and help him up to eat, and to go potty. I fed him liver and eggs, and other high iron foods to try to offset the anemia. Sadly it was only delaying the inevitable, however the seizures stopped.

He was the most loyal dog I had ever had, and my best friend. I had him before my marriage and after. He had been a huge constant part of my life. I wanted him to be calm and comfortable, and if possible to be allowed to pass at home.

Alternatively I did not want him to suffer either, but he just hung on no matter what and would not leave me. I could tell that the quality of his life was getting pretty bad towards the end.

I had a vet come out to the house to give him the shot one rainy day in November. It cost a little more, but it was worth it. My best friend got to die at home peacefully in his own bed, with me by his side. The vet had to assess the situation beforehand to see that the dog really was suffering. He gave him a tranquilizer first, and my pup finally relaxed. I hadn't seen him relax in quite a while, and that really drove the point home of just how much pain he was in.

I held him in my arms and petted him one last time, and then let him move on.

It was a hard sad day.

We had great times together, and he stayed with me up until the end. Dogs are loyal that way, and in some ways often kinder than people.

I feel for you and what you are going through. Enjoy the time you had together, and concentrate on the good not the bad if you are able.

- Bullwolf

MrWolf
06-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Very nicely said. Thank you

tddeangelo
06-01-2015, 10:29 AM
We had to put our lab down a few weeks before her 13th birthday (2yrs ago). Like the others have said keep him comfortable and give him love. That was the worst decision I have ever had to make, and still feel like a jerk for it, but it was best for her. We went about 4 months and I couldn't take the quiet in the house so we started looking for another one. We found one and he is as cool as could be.

Remember all the good times with him often, it helps a little

az-jim

Wow, could have written this post myself.

I lost my 12 yr, 11 month old yellow lab on Halloween 2011. We had a baby on the way at the time, and my daughter was born one week after Molly (our lab) left us. I made it to Jan 1 2012 and on that day I picked up Quincy, my current dog. He was 8 months old at the time, and the family who had him had gotten in WAY over their head. He's a boisterous, rambunctious black lab, now 4 yrs old, and doing great.

It was HARD letting Molly go, but like others said, I stayed with her to the end. I laid on the floor in the vet's office with her and was with her till it was over. It chokes me up just thinking about it, but she would never have left me if our situations had been reversed, so I couldn't leave her. I had been away on a hunting trip for a week, and the morning I left to come home, my wife found Molly passing blood. She'd had bad dyplasia that we'd successfully managed, but she was doing great up to that morning. I think she was just hanging on for me to come home, and her body didn't quite make it.

I knew that night when I got home that there would be no miracle the next day. Molly had several episodes with her arthritis and hips that we thought would be the end, but our wonderful vet was always able to give us a course of treatment that gave Molly back her quality of life. I knew as soon as I saw her that day, though, that it was the end. It was time. I could just see it on her face.

So, we went the next day. Molly walked out of the house under her own power, but I lifted her into my wife's minivan. When we got to the vet, she just couldn't get up. I carried her in, wrapped in a blanket. The vet checked her out and concluded that we could do a ton of testing and maybe surgery, but at 13 years old, she was showing signs of internal bleeding and/or tumors, and even with a lot of expensive testing and surgery that would be hard on Molly, it was unlikely they could give her any quality of life. So, we let her go.

I remember petting Molly as she calmed after receiving the sedative. Her breathing got quicker as the next shot kicked in. I petted her, whispered to her that I loved her, thanked her for being my dog, and told her it was ok, that she didn't have to fight on anymore. She could let go now and be at peace. And she did. And she was.

It is hard. VERY hard, but that's only because they are such important parts of our lives. If we can just let them go without being emotional, we didn't do them justice during their life, I think.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-01-2015, 12:09 PM
it's sad but that's about the age , it doesn't seem long but they are not with us much longer 15 is an old dog

had to put down my Beagle Basset mix 2 1/2 years ago at 13 when we came home and he had lost control of his hind end. after a few days he had stopped eating , if you know beagle bassets the only thing they like better than sleeping is eating.

captaint
06-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I suspect most, if not all of us have been there. You have my sympathies. Losing a family member is a very difficult thing to deal with. I've lost a couple of doggie friends. Tough deal.

scarry scarney
06-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Reading your story, and the stories of others brings tears to my eyes. I feel the pain. I had to put my "Puppy" down two years ago this month.

Taylor
06-01-2015, 06:29 PM
141059 yes it's hard,sure miss my Sammie-man.2 months now,I feel your pain brother.

MaryB
06-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Three44s
06-02-2015, 02:37 AM
Rainbow Ridge .......... that's pretty special Mary ..... thank you for that!

As I read the many posts, I saw some of my own experiences and some tears and some reflection ....... and even something I had not thought of as much as I should have .... that of taking a pet to a vet office to be put down ....... and the related stress.

I ranch so when it comes to dogs I figure I am pretty lucky ........ I've always have at least one and usually two in our family at all times ........ (I never have been fleet footed enough to catch a cow much less bite them on their heals) and our stock dogs are much better at it than me ..........

Not to make less of you all's attachment to your pets ....... these stock dogs get right in your hip pocket and your heart real quick .........

What I mean by "hip pocket" is that they are so good at reading cues ....... that they know what you are going to do even before you do .......... it's scary!

Now please take no offense meant to members that have hung on during extraordinary health issues with their pets ...... but I really have leaned towards not going to great lengths to buy some time for our dogs when they are of an age that you expect serious health issues to begin to pile up.

I am hurting enough in having to let go ........ to add more suffering from them hanging on ...... is more than I can bear and for me at least, it diminishes from what their life was really about.

Take my Jack ....... an Aussie ........... when he could not hear ..... and cows would drill him .... he was informally retired ........ and that was fine with me ........... but he got sick once and the vet medicated him and he bounced back and we got another year and a half ....... but the second time you could see he really fell off a cliff ......... the Doc figured renal failure then ........ and we had him put down. When the Vet got to the part about the meds keeping him alive but not happy ...... that was it. My good friend and work mate of 14 years that only ran from one thing in his illustrious life ..... a dead black bear ......... he needed me to allow him to proceed to that better place we now know the name of.

We got over the pain and in fact as I like to keep two working dogs ... an older one and a younger one to learn from the experienced dog ........ our pup was already here and my wife and I immersed ourselves in the joys and trials of raising a spirited Border Collie as we fought back the tears of losing Jack Jackson!

That "pup", Sage is our senior dog but at eight years now ....... is just peaked ......... and her "side kick" Dixie is still learning from her.

Dixie is part Catahoula and you just have not lived until you are around some of that breeding ...... WOW!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the OP and his wife and other significant family member (pet) at this trying time!

Three 44s

scarry scarney
06-02-2015, 12:16 PM
A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

9w1911
06-02-2015, 04:35 PM
This is why I am not scared of dying, I get to be with my boy Arrow again.

Col4570
06-02-2015, 04:52 PM
They do,nt want much from us,just love,walks,nice food.In return we get the finest companionship.I have been where you are a few times in my long years and each times it has broken my heart.You have the support and best wishes of all who love their animals.You have done your best for him and given him a good and happy life.My thoughts are with you.

375supermag
06-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Wesson is getting his meds and remains alert and pain-free. He is walking better (the steroids are obviously helping)but still requires help going up stairs. His appetite remains good. He is still the friendly, happy affectionate dog that he has always been. He still insists(read: DEMANDS) his treats and watches my wife prepare meals on full alert to snatch any morsel that becomes available.

We understand that his time is numbered, but as long as he is not suffering we will continue to struggle on.

When he begins to suffer, then we will do what must be done.

I will make a posting at that time, if able.

9w1911
06-02-2015, 05:30 PM
I am so happy he is happy, he wants noting more than to be with you, one of my only regrets in life was to not be with my guy Arrow when he passed on at the vet.

MaryB
06-02-2015, 10:50 PM
I have had to go through the end of life with 3 labs... last one was so smart that she knew a dozen hand signals, would sit when told steady and not move until told okay... people tried to get her to move with food, a live pheasant, her favorite toys... she would look to me and I would shake my head no, she would sigh then sit and wait. If I shook my head yes or said okay she was a streak of lightning to get whatever it is she was focused on.

She let me know when it was time, I had a friend who was a vet so he came out to the house and she drifted off to sleep. many memories of her in the front of the boat while fishing. She would sit and watch my line and as soon as I set the hook she would stand on a seat looking over the side to find the fish. She knew better and never jumped in unless on command except one time, line broke right next to the boat and she was bound and determined to retrieve that walleye and she did! Came swimming back with it in her mouth and a look on her face that was priceless.

NavyVet1959
06-02-2015, 11:32 PM
I was raised that you do your own dirty work and you don't hire someone else to do it for you. As such, I have always hated when I've had to put a pet down. When it's obvious that simply living is too painful for them, all you can do is make it as quick and painless as possible. I grew up on a ranch, so I've had to put down livestock and pets. I don't particularly like having to do either. One of my dogs is around 13 years old and although he doesn't get around that well anymore and is missing a few teeth, he keeps his weight up and doesn't appear to be in any pain. Hopefully, when it's his time to go, it will be peacefully in his sleep.

CLAYPOOL
06-02-2015, 11:50 PM
My Vet told me, "She's tired john, Let her go.."................

smokeywolf
06-03-2015, 04:19 AM
Mary, you had to bring up the Rainbow Bridge story. It really chokes me up. Came across it 8-1/2 years ago when we lost Sammy. 141217
Sammy was white Malamute/Arctic Wolf mix. We rescued him when he was about 18 months old and he was with us for 11 years.

We rescued Smokey, a 135 lb. grey wolf/Belgian Tervuren mix from the same shelter a few years later. We lost him after only 4-1/2 years to a dognapper who broke boards out of our back fence to allow Smokey to get out so he could snatch him.

I'm greatly heartened to learn of Wesson's improvement and continued enjoyment of family and home.

StrawHat
06-03-2015, 06:26 AM
My wife and I have been through similar, three times now. Each dog has adopted us and stayed 10, 15 and 16 1/2 years. We currently have a 6yo golden cross that is waiting for another dog to come into our life. It is not an easy decision to make. to those who say, "...it's just a dog!... " I reply, "...You are just an idiot... " Do not apologize, your dog has been a member of you family and will be missed. But, there are other dogs waiting to adopt you and keep your life full.

Kevin

Harter66
06-03-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry for your loss........

I was raised by a weimaraner ,Chip , he was 7 when I came along . He tough me how to pick the sweetest ripe tomatoes and the perfect carrot ,he also let me take the fall for the Christmas cookies . Unique came along about the same time as me . Those 2 taught me how to walk away ,who to watch , how to watch them w/o making them uncomfortable, how to make them uncomfortable, some people just need to be bit to check their loyalty, fight if you have to but always stand your ground even when the big boss says enough. I was almost 7 when Chip moved on ,my Dad never hunted chucker again unless they happened out in front of us deer hunting . Unique stayed on hunting ducks and dove until I was 13 or so. Then we had that poodle all 12 spring loaded lbs I just never bonded with him maybe it was because he was so "high maintenance". My 1st grownup dog was Purdy ,a sprigwieler, she would hunt with me 8 days a week 20 hrs a day rain shine, mud , snow, rain . She wasn't real keen on sleet and hail . She once marked and picked up 11 birds from 10 to 40 yd of open water on a 25 degree morning. 1 Saturday morning as I was headed for the door "come on let's go" ...... "no I think I'm just going to stay here next to the fire today". Damned 10 yo anyway . We had her 2 more years her 12th season was a no starter. X2 had a couple of dogs and I liked them well enough ,but they weren't the go for a ride sort . After our parting it took me almost 3 yrs to have Remmy find me . Wild as a March hair,she has taken after her father and is ruled by her nose ,he is an English or German shorthair,but she is a goofball like her mother ,a 80# Rott. Now yall got me thinking we got to get some hunting done I probably only have about 10 really good years left with her.

Ya scondrols got all crying over dogs now .........

butch2570
06-03-2015, 08:28 PM
My wife and I have been married 23 yrs, we started with great danes the first year of our marriage to date I've done this 6 times as large breed dogs have short life spans. I still have 2 now that are getting to age :-( . But we have loved them all as a part of our family . I always hold them til the end and have never regretted doing so, they were my pals , its the last thing I can do for them at that time. I feel for you and your family and hope it works out for the best.

Three44s
06-03-2015, 10:05 PM
I was just reading about Danes and other breeds that have relatively short spans ......... My brother, his wife and sons have a Beranese Mt. Dog that's just coming one year. She is really a kick! But as much as I get attached to dogs ...... I'd have a hard time having to say goodbye soon!

Even the working dogs like our stock dogs get a fair run at 13 or 14 years and that goes by like a flash! They may not work cattle that long but our retirement plan for them is pretty good ......... as long as they are happy ...... they are in like Flynn!

Three 44s

MaryB
06-04-2015, 12:08 AM
I have engraved that Rainbow Bridge story for several friends(unasked, they had a simple wood cross and I thought they would appreciate this) on a 12" square granite tile(for free) that they have used to mark special pets graves. Looks better on all black granite, this happened to be a leftover tile from a kitchen engraving job

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/For-Clyde.jpg

Mary, you had to bring up the Rainbow Bridge story. It really chokes me up. Came across it 8-1/2 years ago when we lost Sammy. 141217
Sammy was white Malamute/Arctic Wolf mix. We rescued him when he was about 18 months old and he was with us for 11 years.

We rescued Smokey, a 135 lb. grey wolf/Belgian Tervuren mix from the same shelter a few years later. We lost him after only 4-1/2 years to a dognapper who broke boards out of our back fence to allow Smokey to get out so he could snatch him.

I'm greatly heartened to learn of Wesson's improvement and continued enjoyment of family and home.

robg
06-04-2015, 03:53 AM
lost brian my gsd/red setter in a very similar scenario at 13 feel for you

tddeangelo
06-04-2015, 08:07 PM
This one will break you down, just to warn you, but it seems fitting.

It's called "Labrador" by Walt Gabbard. It will make sense to most who have had dogs, but if you have or have had a lab in your life, this will really get you. You'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhYvMMRxdYc&feature=youtu.be

375supermag
06-06-2015, 10:31 AM
This one will break you down, just to warn you, but it seems fitting.

It's called "Labrador" by Walt Gabbard. It will make sense to most who have had dogs, but if you have or have had a lab in your life, this will really get you. You'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhYvMMRxdYc&feature=youtu.be

I wish I hadn't played that video...

tddeangelo
06-06-2015, 10:48 AM
I can't play it and keep my composure completely, and I lost my lab almost 4 years ago. But.....he got it all spot-on. Makes me really want another pup, actually, even though my current knucklehead just turned 4 last month (he was 8 months old when I adopted him).

smokeywolf
06-06-2015, 11:20 AM
If you ever get a chance and have a box of Kleenex handy, you might try to find "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" in your TV programming. Can't remember if I saw it on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. Although Richard Gere is listed as the main character and I don't much care for him, the dog and the story line more than offset his appearance in the movie.
This is adapted from a true story and in Japan there is a monument to this dog at the train station in the town in which the story actually took place.

silverpigeon
06-06-2015, 12:00 PM
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are. Anonymous"

That is hand painted on a sign that was given to my wife and I soon after we had our 13 year old yellow lab put down back in December. We miss you Gunner.141478

375supermag,our thoughts are with you and your family.

375supermag
06-27-2015, 05:29 AM
Hi...

Wesson went on his last car ride yesterday afternoon.

The steroids the vet prescribed worked to an extent but, he started to exhibit signs of pain Thursday night.

He laid in one spot most all day Friday until my son came home from work around 4:30-5:00PM.

My wife had already called and made an appointment after I got home from work and we realized that he was suffering.

His appetite remained quite good until the end and he was alert and affectionate but it seemed cruel and selfish to let him suffer any longer. It was heartbreaking to see him deteriorate over the last couple of months.

He got to spend his last moments with my wife, son and I before the vet gave him the injection. I told him he was a good dog and that he was going to go to sleep and the pain would go away. He closed his eyes while we all held him. It was over in just a few seconds.

They say all dogs go to Heaven...Heaven got a good one yesterday at 6:00PM.

This house seems an empty and cold place.

MrWolf
06-27-2015, 09:55 AM
I am sorry. You will always remember him but hopefully someday you may get to experience the unconditional love from another. All dogs do go to Heaven because of the unconditional love, its the Humans that still have a lot to learn.

rockrat
06-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your 4 legged friend. Its hard to let them go.

Don't want them to be in pain and suffering.

Might have to go thru the same thing this Fall. Don't think mine will make it thru the Winter. It would be hard on them.

shaune509
06-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Had to put down our 6year old black lab in May due to siezers. Son brought home 2 weeks back a husky/malamute mix pup. This pup is showing a great start to be a very smart and loyal dog, just still dealing with the house breaking, and the fact that every one in the house gets tiried of watching him. What is the funniest is the old cat who did not care to be in the same room with the old dog falloid us while walking the new pup to the back field.
Shaune509

MaryB
06-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

MediumCore358
06-28-2015, 04:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this. Assist him all you can in his movements. Glad to hear he's alert and still eating. You n your wife stay strong

375supermag
06-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words and sympathy.

This has been a hard couple of days for our family.

Wesson was a trusted and valued member of our family. He was my mother's protector as she struggled with the Alzhiemer's that finally took her life several years ago.

When I came home from my cancer surgery three years ago, he parked himself right beside me and wouldn't leave except to eat and go outside until I was recovered well enough to resume physical activity.

As I sit here in the den eating a banana and drinking a cup of tea, it is strange that he isn't laying beside my chair waiting for a bite of banana.

I miss that last night while I was watching a movie, he wasn't sitting beside the recliner lifting my arm with his muzzle looking for attention(and a snack). Little things like that just rip your heart out.

My wife came home from work last evening with tears in her eyes because he wasn't there to greet her when she came home. He always was first to welcome everybody home. No matter how bad your day was, he was always there with a goofy dog grin on his face and a wagging tail. Unconditional love and loyalty...people could learn a lot from dogs.

Wesson had a great life... he was never mistreated and had all the creature comforts and love and attention that any dog could ever imagine.
He had the run of the Estate and was known far and wide by his nickname, Big Dog.

While he lived on dry dog food most of his life, he ate a can of Alpo every evening and probably ate more left over rib eyes, roast beef, chicken and pork chops than any dog in the country. He absolutely loved Seltzer's Sweet Lebanon Bologna and was the best popcorn and Dorito eating dog you ever saw. When we cooked bratwurst, hamburgers or hot dogs, he always got his share (and then some).

Until he got old and tired, he chased rabbits and squirrels on the grounds of the estate everyday. He ruled every square inch of the Estate with benevolence and kindness. As we always said, he was "Large and in Charge".

He was a very good dog. The best dog EVER.
We are heartbroken.

smokeywolf
06-29-2015, 12:50 PM
My heart aches with you sir.

Sammy was white Malamute/Arctic Wolf mix and was Daddy's boy. He passed 8-1/2 years ago and I still mourn him.

143159 We got Timber 143161 (yes, same wolf as in my avatar) 3 months later and although it will be unbearable when he passes, the idea of never having had him as part (the center) of the family is absolutely unthinkable.

You will never replace Wesson, but don't wait too long to fill the vacancy in your household. Because a human can't love like a pet, no matter how many people are occupying a house, it is still empty without a pet.

Geraldo
06-29-2015, 06:26 PM
375, sorry to hear about Wesson, but you did the right thing. I had to put down my Lab buddy Sam last Thanksgiving after ten great years with him. Every time I pick up another male Lab pup I know how the story will end, but I wouldn't trade the years I have with them for anything.