PDA

View Full Version : Conceal carry permit question -Texas

quickdraw66
05-29-2015, 04:04 PM
I plan on moving back to Texas soon, and plan on getting my CCL, and I had a question about their CCL laws. Their prices are kind of high for their permits, whereas some states like Arizona are a lot cheaper to get a permit in. Does Texas allow their residents to get a nonresident CCL from another state? I know a lot of states do, and some states don't honor nonresidential CCLs from other states. I haven't been able to find out if Texas does or not.

GoodOlBoy
05-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Texas does have some reciprocation but I don't know what states they honor offhand.

GoodOlBoy

Rufus Krile
05-29-2015, 04:19 PM
They have in the past... notably the Utah non-resident that I've had for four years. However, there was some conflict over the practice and, reportedly, Utah promised to not renew upon expiration. For that reason alone, I went ahead and got the TX chl a couple of months ago. Yeah, it's more expensive but they throw some breaks in... if you're over 60yrs old you get it for half price ($70) and if you're military or a vet you pay only $25. Plus the cost of the course. The Utah license was just too good of a deal, I guess. 5yr license and renewal by mail for $10. That still might happen and if it does I'll certainly spend the $10 for another 5 years just to have it. Our governor... back when he was a mere Attorney General... signed a document declaring that Texas would recognize ANY chl from ANY state that required a background check and fingerprinting. We'll see.

lancem
05-29-2015, 06:15 PM
One thing I remember is that Utah changed things saying that you had to have a permit in your home state, which I know killed it for a lot of people. My understanding in Texas is that if you are a Texas resident then you need a Texas CHL. I'm heading to CHL class tomorrow and will ask and see what the instructor has to say.
http://dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/

NavyVet1959
05-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Nevada does not recognize the Texas CHL, but Texas does recognize Nevada's. So, since my Texas one was up for renewal and I was in Las Vegas at the time, I decided to get a Nevada one. I've since learned that the Nevada one does not allow me to bypass the NCIS check if I am buying a firearm from a FFL holdler, so that is a slight inconvenience. It used to be that the states did not differentiate between resident and non-resident CHLs with respect to whether they recognize them, but they are starting to do that these days.

Char-Gar
05-29-2015, 06:46 PM
The fees charged are not unreasonable. Why try and skirt the law to save a few bucks. Do it straight up and Boy Scout way.

BrassMagnet
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
This site is handy for a quick check to see what state honors what other state's permit.

CCW Reciprocity Info (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/)

PB

Always read the fine print. Some states will accept a CCW permit from another state, but when you read the fine print it says "only if that is your state of residency."
I have my home state CCW. I also have Utah, but I have almost been bitten by that "only if that is your state of residency."
I used to have a Nevada permit, but they give no breaks for renewals. Every time you must go to Nevada and get trained again. You must also apply in person and pick up your new permit in person. That was too many trips to Nevada and the county I got my permit in only did the permit stuff on Fridays.

NavyVet1959
05-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Always read the fine print. Some states will accept a CCW permit from another state, but when you read the fine print it says "only if that is your state of residency."
I have my home state CCW. I also have Utah, but I have almost been bitten by that "only if that is your state of residency."
I used to have a Nevada permit, but they give no breaks for renewals. Every time you must go to Nevada and get trained again. You must also apply in person and pick up your new permit in person. That was too many trips to Nevada and the county I got my permit in only did the permit stuff on Fridays.

They definitely mailed my Nevada CHL to my Texas address. From looking online, it appears that to renew it, I'll have to go back to Nevada. I don't know if I'll get a Nevada CHL next time though. I'm thinking maybe Florida, just for S&Gs.

NavyVet1959
05-29-2015, 08:21 PM
The fees charged are not unreasonable. Why try and skirt the law to save a few bucks. Do it straight up and Boy Scout way.

Sometimes, it's not the money, it's a case of another state's CHL giving you access to some place that your state's CHL does not. I've also seen people who just want to collect as many CHLs from different states as they can. These people are usually somewhat thwarted from collecting them from every state due to the fact that some states only issue CHLs to their residents. And there are some people who think that they already give enough money to their state, so they want to avoid giving any more money to them. I can definitely see the logic of the latter since I got a notice from the Appraisal District the other day stating that they have decided that my house is worth $50K more than it was worth last year. Considering the fact that I've done no upgrades to it and the housing market has not been *that* good, I highly doubt it.

historicfirearms
05-29-2015, 08:47 PM
I have had my Michigan CPL since 2001 and recently had to renew again. It wasn't without a lot of consideration that I finally decided to fork over the $105 for another renewal. My main sticking point is this: why should I have to pay a fee to exercise part of a constitutional right? Michigan has open carry so that was an option for me, but we are not allowed to have a loaded handgun in our cars without the state issued CPL.

What if the state charged $105 for a permit to write a newspaper article? What if you had to pay for certification that you were a good citizen and were therefor free from unwarranted searches? What if you had to buy a license to be allowed to vote?

In the end, I paid my tax and renewed. A man needs to defend his loved ones. It doesn’t make it right for the states to charge law abiding people to exercise god given rights. But until Michigan allows constitutional carry, I will begrudgingly renew my CPL every 5 years.

lancem
05-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Sometimes, it's not the money, it's a case of another state's CHL giving you access to some place that your state's CHL does not. I've also seen people who just want to collect as many CHLs from different states as they can. These people are usually somewhat thwarted from collecting them from every state due to the fact that some states only issue CHLs to their residents. And their are some people who think that they already give enough money to their state, so they want to avoid giving any more money to them. I can definitely see the logic of the latter since I got a notice from the Appraisal District the other day stating that they have decided that my house is worth $50K more than it was worth last year. Considering the fact that I've done no upgrades to it and the housing market has not been *that* good, I highly doubt it.

Ours jumped over 100%, needless to say we are going to contest it but I don't know, tax logic seems out the door. Our friends a couple miles away are getting charged for woodland property (in the desert) cause in a ditch a ways behind their house a couple of mesquites are growing... I did offer to lend them my chainsaw.

Charley
05-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Residency is the big issue. Do it right, safer in the long run.

TXGunNut
05-29-2015, 10:07 PM

A bit higher than some others but well worth it. TX CHL class is shorter than it used to be but carrying in TX without at least a general understanding of the applicable state laws sounds like a bad idea to me.

quickdraw66
05-30-2015, 01:44 AM
The fact that you have to pay a fee to exercise a God given right is completely unreasonable. If I can legally get the license cheaper from another state, then I will. Why pay $140 when you can pay $60? It doesn't make it any less unreasonable that I have to pay, but at least I don't have to spend as much.

w5pv
05-30-2015, 08:25 AM
In Texas if you are a Vetern with a 60% disabity or more 20 bucks is the fee.You have to send in a DD 214 to prove that you were honorbly discharged. If you go this route spend the money and send the information registered mail because the DD 214 has your SS# and they have to sign for it.

Geraldo
05-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Unless you want to gamble on a visit to Texas Dept of Corrections, you should call DPS and ask if a TX resident is good to go with an out of state non-resident license. My guess is that if it says Texas on your DL, your CHL shoud say TX as well.

NavyVet1959
05-30-2015, 09:10 AM
My guess is that if it says Texas on your DL, your CHL shoud say TX as well.

Your guess would be wrong then.

There are plenty of good reasons to have a CHL from a state other than your home state, not the least of which is that sometimes your home state's license is not recognized in certain states that you visit. Some people have CHLs from other states so that even if their home state's CHL is confiscated during the investigation of some incident, they will still have a CHL that they can carry with. Having two CHLs with different expiration dates allows you to still have a CHL if one state is slow in their renewal process. Considering the fact that a CHL is just a tax on what is a constitutionally protected act, if a person wants to pay the tax to multiple states at the same time, they should be free to do so.

Having to pay a tax to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights is no different than having to pay a tax to worship your religion (or non-religion) of choice. How would ya'll feel if the government started doing that?

Char-Gar
05-30-2015, 09:58 AM
The fact that you have to pay a fee to exercise a God given right is completely unreasonable. If I can legally get the license cheaper from another state, then I will. Why pay $140 when you can pay $60? It doesn't make it any less unreasonable that I have to pay, but at least I don't have to spend as much.

Where is it written or stated that God has given you the right to carry a concealed handgun in Texas? Has anybody asked God about that matter? If so, who, when and where?

NavyVet1959
05-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Where is it written or stated that God has given you the right to carry a concealed handgun in Texas? Has anybody asked God about that matter? If so, who, when and where?

Some people use the phrase "god given right", others use the phrase "natural right" or "basic human right". The right to defend yourself (whether from criminals or an abusive government) is a basic human right and the Founding Fathers understood this which is why they explicitly said that the right to bear arms "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". Prohibiting the carrying of certain arms (or requiring the paying of a tax to do so) is a blatant infringement upon our 2nd Amendment *guaranteed* rights.

WilliamDahl
05-30-2015, 10:27 AM
I see where we are one step closer to throwing off the last vestiges of the Yankee Occupation from after the War of Northern Aggression.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/texas/2015/05/29/bill-allowing-open-carry-of-handguns-clears-texas-legislature/28183023/

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Texas lawmakers have approved licensed open carry of handguns on the streets of the nation's second-most populous state.

The bill cleared the Legislature late Friday. It now heads to Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who is expected to sign it.
The bill would reverse a ban dating to the post-Civil War era.

The measure passed after key concessions were made to police groups, who demanded that they not be restricted from questioning people carrying guns, to ensure they had proper licenses to do so.

Texas' ban on open carry was enacted to disarm former Confederate soldiers and freed slaves. Despite it, the state has a gun-friendly reputation through the Wild West legends of cowboys and some of the nation's most relaxed gun laws.

Texas has about 850,000 concealed handgun license holders.

It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

quickdraw66
05-30-2015, 11:08 AM
The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Right there, plain as day. ^

NavyVet1959
05-30-2015, 12:19 PM
The right of the people to keep and bare arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

"bare"?

I'm so glad that we have a constitutionally protected right to go sleeveless... :)

quickdraw66
05-30-2015, 12:23 PM
"bare"?

I'm so glad that we have a constitutionally protected right to go sleeveless... :)

LMAO! Darn typos. :o

lightload
05-30-2015, 10:12 PM
The state of Texas website has complete info on this topic. I've had a Texas CHL since 1996 and have found this dept. to be helpful and courteous.

TXGunNut
05-30-2015, 11:42 PM

You're comparing apples and oranges when comparing the TX CHL fees to other state's fees. As far as paying a fee to exercise a God-given right all I can say is that we live in an imperfect word governed by laws written by mortal men. Deal with it as you see fit, I'll pay the fee. NavyVet1959 makes a good point about additional CHL's, tho.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 12:03 AM
You're comparing apples and oranges when comparing the TX CHL fees to other state's fees. As far as paying a fee to exercise a God-given right all I can say is that we live in an imperfect word governed by laws written by mortal men. Deal with it as you see fit, I'll pay the fee. NavyVet1959 makes a good point about additional CHL's, tho.
How is it apples to oranges? Both licenses will work and both will work in most of the same states (don't travel out of state much anyways). The only difference is $140 vs $60 from a state like Arizona. Why pay more for the same thing?

TXGunNut
05-31-2015, 12:27 AM
How is it apples to oranges? Both licenses will work and both will work in most of the same states (don't travel out of state much anyways). The only difference is $140 vs $60 from a state like Arizona. Why pay more for the same thing?

How much can an AZ CHL instructor tell you about TX law? Those are the laws that will be used at your trial if you have to defend yourself in TX. And please, don't play that tired song about "better tried by 12 than carried by 6". Call your attorney and ask what a murder trial costs, can you write that check today? Don't forget the civil suits, I can tell you a little about them. Best not to go there. When I was a TX LEO I had a certain level of respect for TX CHL's, I understood the process and I knew a CHL was a person I could trust. A TX resident with an AZ (or other state) CHL? Never ran into it but I can tell you it's not the same, IMHO.
My attorney charges $350/hr and is worth every penny, a $140 permit is too. My advice is worth at least what you paid for it, you won't hurt my feelings if you ignore it.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 12:36 AM
How much can an AZ CHL instructor tell you about TX law? Those are the laws that will be used at your trial if you have to defend yourself in TX. And please, don't play that tired song about "better tried by 12 than carried by 6". Call your attorney and ask what a murder trial costs, can you write that check today? Don't forget the civil suits, I can tell you a little about them. Best not to go there. When I was a TX LEO I had a certain level of respect for TX CHL's, I understood the process and I knew a CHL was a person I could trust. A TX resident with an AZ (or other state) CHL? Never ran into it but I can tell you it's not the same, IMHO.
My attorney charges $350/hr and is worth every penny, a $140 permit is too. My advice is worth at least what you paid for it, you won't hurt my feelings if you ignore it.

I didn't say I was going to take a Arizona CCL class, only get the license. I technically don't have to take a class at all because Arizona recognizes hunters education as sufficient training. I was still going to take a class that covers Texas laws.

GoodOlBoy
05-31-2015, 12:47 AM
Also with the new open carry law I saw no reference to "reciprocation" allowing you to open carry using your ccw. Just an FYI.

GoodOlBoy

TXGunNut
05-31-2015, 01:12 AM
I didn't say I was going to take a Arizona CCL class, only get the license. I technically don't have to take a class at all because Arizona recognizes hunters education as sufficient training. I was still going to take a class that covers Texas laws.

Can you tell me who offers that class? I'll help you with that; it's your friendly neighborhood TX CHL instructor. He'll also teach you about firearms safety, how to de-escalate a confrontation and how to interact with TX LEO's.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 01:14 AM
Can you tell me who offers that class? I'll help you with that; it's your friendly neighborhood TX CHL instructor. He'll also teach you about firearms safety, how to de-escalate a confrontation and how to interact with TX LEO's.
That doesn't mean I have to pay $140 for the license, and I'm not going to.

TXGunNut
05-31-2015, 01:17 AM
Also with the new open carry law I saw no reference to "reciprocation" allowing you to open carry using your ccw. Just an FYI.

GoodOlBoy

I think we need to start a thread about "Open Carry" in TX. I have some pretty strong feelings on the subject but I could be in the minority on this issue. On the one hand I feel the need to thumb my nose (finally!) at the carpetbaggers but on the other hand (as a long-time LEO) I see the tactical advantage of concealed carry.

TXGunNut
05-31-2015, 01:24 AM
That doesn't mean I have to pay $140 for the license, and I'm not going to.

Your call, my friend. I sincerely hope you never regret your decision.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 01:30 AM
Your call, my friend. I sincerely hope you never regret your decision.
Like I said, I'm taking a Texas course, and the license will be from Arizona. The ONLY difference is the price. I won't regret it at all.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 01:43 AM
Thank you to all those who offered their advice. :)

Lonegun1894
05-31-2015, 02:22 AM
Sometimes, it's not the money, it's a case of another state's CHL giving you access to some place that your state's CHL does not. I've also seen people who just want to collect as many CHLs from different states as they can. These people are usually somewhat thwarted from collecting them from every state due to the fact that some states only issue CHLs to their residents. And their are some people who think that they already give enough money to their state, so they want to avoid giving any more money to them. I can definitely see the logic of the latter since I got a notice from the Appraisal District the other day stating that they have decided that my house is worth $50K more than it was worth last year. Considering the fact that I've done no upgrades to it and the housing market has not been *that* good, I highly doubt it.

Please explain this to me? If you mean being able to carry in a State that does not honor my resident State's license, then I understand. However, I hope you don't mean that there are places that you can carry a gun into legally (for example) in Texas because you're carrying on a Arizona (for example) license, that I can not carry into because I have a Texas license. I hope you aren't saying that. My Texas CHL is legal in any other State that we have reciprocity with, and vice versa, but when inside that State, you obey that State's laws, and are restricted by their laws also if they have limitations. I would hate to be in anyones shoes who tries to explain to a Texas judge that they don't care what Texas law says, because you "do it this way at home". I know it wouldn't fly with me as a Texas Peace Officer if the person tried to get beligerent about it either.

As to the OP, several people have tried giving you good advice, and you're being stubborn and not wanting to listen, so please do me a huge favor. Since I am just a mere Texas Peace Officer and a TX CHL Instructor ( and NOT a lawyer), and used to be stationed in AZ and know what excuse for a class several of us got when we wanted to see what the AZ class was about AFTER getting our Texas CHLs, you just do whatever you think is right and works for you. However, if it was me, my loved one, or anyone else I even half way cared about, here is the advice I give any student I have who insists on doing things their way:

Please contact TX DPS Handgun Licensing Regulatory Division at:

"Contact us by phone:(512) 424-7293
Contact us by mail:Mail Including Payment:
Texas Department of Public Safety
PO Box 15888
Austin, TX 78761-5888
Mail Without Payment:
Texas Department of Public Safety
Concealed Handgun - MSC 0245
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0001"

They are very helpful, very patient, and above all, are the people who will be deciding weather they will assist in helping you make your case or helping prosecute you, based on what your plan and actions are. Please contact them, explain your plan to them, and then PLEASE FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE.

As to everyone else who beats their chest claiming that the 2nd Amendmen is their permit to carry in TX, while I agree with you that that is the way it should be, and hope it will be again someday, for the time being, I would much rather complain about paying a small fee to the State, than a big fee to a lawyer. And that advice is coming from someone who was carrying a concealed handgun in TX BEFORE TX had a CHL program in place to allow us to do so legally. Think about that for a minute, and then make your choice. Personally, I think every non-felon adult should be able to carry without any type of government-issued permission slip, and as a Peace Officer, I have met and discussed this same thing with many who were armed without a CHL and have NOT charged a single person with it to this date. I have also seen other officers charge people for it though. Look up how long you will be ineligible to get a CHL if you get convicted of unlawfully carrying a weapon, in addition to the court costs, lawyers fees, etc, and then tell me that the fee we have to pay is expensive in comparison. What I am telling you all is that I will carry with or without a license (and did for years, but I was one of the first in line to get my CHL) just like many if not most here, BUT, how stupid would I have to be to INTENTIONALLY do it illegally, when I have a legal way to do the same exact thing. Also, as a Peace Officer, it is really nice to see someone hand me a CHL when asked for ID. Tells me who I am dealing with a lot more than just a DL does.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 04:23 AM
I think some people are misunderstanding a few things so let me further explain what I'm wanting to do.

The class I'm going to take will cover TEXAS law, not Arizona. Only the actual license will be from Arizona. If Texas recognizes it as a CCL (they have a written agreement with Arizona), then it is just as legal as a Texas CCL.

IF somebody can explain how taking a TEXAS course in CCL laws and just having an AZ license can somehow get you into trouble despite you following TEXAS laws that you learned in a TEXAS course, please feel free to explain.

NavyVet1959
05-31-2015, 06:17 AM
Just remember that with a non-resident AZ CHL, there are states that will not recognize it although they do recognize the resident AZ CHL. With a non-resident AZ CHL as compared to a resident TX CHL, you will not be able carry in FL, SC, CO, MN, MI, and PA (and maybe a couple of others that I missed). If this is not a major issue for you and you don't mind your CHL not allowing you to bypass the NICS check when purchasing a firearm through a FFL holder, then get a CHL from AZ. I seldom buy firearms through FFL holders, plus my TX CHL was not recognized in NV, so I got a NV CHL the last time I was there.

The NV CHL is pretty unprofessional looking though. It looks not that different that a corporate ID badge that you hang around you neck when you work for certain companies.

http://www.usacarry.com/images/permits/lasvegas.jpg

http://www.usacarry.com/images/permits/nevada_concealed_weapon_permit_back.jpg

NavyVet1959
05-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Please explain this to me? If you mean being able to carry in a State that does not honor my resident State's license, then I understand. However, I hope you don't mean that there are places that you can carry a gun into legally (for example) in Texas because you're carrying on a Arizona (for example) license, that I can not carry into because I have a Texas license. I hope you aren't saying that. My Texas CHL is legal in any other State that we have reciprocity with, and vice versa, but when inside that State, you obey that State's laws, and are restricted by their laws also if they have limitations. I would hate to be in anyones shoes who tries to explain to a Texas judge that they don't care what Texas law says, because you "do it this way at home". I know it wouldn't fly with me as a Texas Peace Officer if the person tried to get beligerent about it either.

I'm was talking about states that recognize particular CHLs when I said "some place". For example, my NV non-resident permit allows me to carry in NV whereas my TX resident permit did not.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Just remember that with a non-resident AZ CHL, there are states that will not recognize it although they do recognize the resident AZ CHL. With a non-resident AZ CHL as compared to a resident TX CHL, you will not be able carry in FL, SC, CO, MN, MI, and PA (and maybe a couple of others that I missed). If this is not a major issue for you and you don't mind your CHL not allowing you to bypass the NICS check when purchasing a firearm through a FFL holder, then get a CHL from AZ. I seldom buy firearms through FFL holders, plus my TX CHL was not recognized in NV, so I got a NV CHL the last time I was there.

The NV CHL is pretty unprofessional looking though. It looks not that different that a corporate ID badge that you hang around you neck when you work for certain companies.

http://www.usacarry.com/images/permits/lasvegas.jpg

http://www.usacarry.com/images/permits/nevada_concealed_weapon_permit_back.jpg

The only one of those states I have been to is Colorado, and I don't plan on going back after they turned Liberal. As long as it works in Texas and Oklahoma, I'm pretty much covered. :) Arkansas and Louisiana would be bonuses, but its rare that I ever make it out that way.

The AZ license looks professional. ;)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/31/90db31c7b69399cc17b5ce800bf92127.jpg

Char-Gar
05-31-2015, 12:24 PM
I think some people are misunderstanding a few things so let me further explain what I'm wanting to do.

The class I'm going to take will cover TEXAS law, not Arizona. Only the actual license will be from Arizona. If Texas recognizes it as a CCL (they have a written agreement with Arizona), then it is just as legal as a Texas CCL.

IF somebody can explain how taking a TEXAS course in CCL laws and just having an AZ license can somehow get you into trouble despite you following TEXAS laws that you learned in a TEXAS course, please feel free to explain.

A person can have multiple domiciles but only one legal residence. If you physically in Texas, and have your residence in Texas you will be expected to have a Texas CHL.

State which allow non-resident CHL do so for the benefit of folks traveling to that state from states that do not have CHL provisions or reciprocity.

You think you have found a loop hole to save you a few bucks. But, should the law ever get involved, you will find that loop hole is just another way to get your *** in a sling. A stupid move to save a few bucks.

That is the explanation, but don't take it from me, move to Texas, have a Texas DL and show a Texas LEO your Arizona CHL and see what happens. Texas requires a person to have a Texas DL after moving to the state. The legal fees you will incur will be chump change compared to what you cheated from the State of Texas with your ill advised scheme.

And the appearance of the license from different states matters why? This I don't get.

Char-Gar
05-31-2015, 12:30 PM
The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Did God write the 2nd. Amendment to the Constitution. I have studied Constitutional history and Constitutional law and never saw that.

NavyVet1959
05-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Did God write the 2nd. Amendment to the Constitution. I have studied Constitutional history and Constitutional law and never saw that.

You might as well ask if he wrote the 10 Commandments.

NavyVet1959
05-31-2015, 01:10 PM
A person can have multiple domiciles but only one legal residence. If you physically in Texas, and have your residence in Texas you will be expected to have a Texas CHL.

State which allow non-resident CHL do so for the benefit of folks traveling to that state from states that do not have CHL provisions or reciprocity.

You think you have found a loop hole to save you a few bucks. But, should the law ever get involved, you will find that loop hole is just another way to get your *** in a sling. A stupid move to save a few bucks.

That is the explanation, but don't take it from me, move to Texas, have a Texas DL and show a Texas LEO your Arizona CHL and see what happens. Texas requires a person to have a Texas DL after moving to the state. The legal fees you will incur will be chump change compared to what you cheated from the State of Texas with your ill advised scheme.

And the appearance of the license from different states matters why? This I don't get.

Sorry, but you are mistaken in this. It is perfectly legal to have a Texas DL and an out of state CHL. Many people do this because they don't need all the states that recognize the Texas CHL but do need a state where the Texas CHL is not recognized. I suspect that some just do it for the cost, but that's still perfectly legal. And the appearance issue is just a comment on how some states strive to make their licenses look more professionally designed than others.

And the issue of domicile is tricky when you start talking about firearms. Supposedly, you can only buy a firearm if you reside in a state. Some states use different criteria for determining whether you reside in that state or not. In some states, you just need to live there part of the year, in others, it might need to be 6 months, and I'm sure there are other criteria in other states. It gets tricky and not all FFL holders understand the rules, but it is entirely possible to have an out-of-state DL and be able to buy a firearm in another state in which you live part of the year for certain states.

dragon813gt
05-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Sorry, but you are mistaken in this. It is perfectly legal to have a Texas DL and an out of state CHL. Many people do this because they don't need all the states that recognize the Texas CHL but do need a state where the Texas CHL is not recognized. I suspect that some just do it for the cost, but that's still perfectly legal. And the appearance issue is just a comment on how some states strive to make their licenses look more professionally designed than others.

I know you're talking specifically about Texas. But don't be surprised if this changes. The PA Attorney General has started going after residents that have out of state carry permits. There is nothing wrong w/ having one. In our case Utah gives us reciprocity in more states. But residents must have a PA CHL first. There were a bunch of loop holes that they're trying to close. Like I said, don't be surprised if it changes in the future.

NavyVet1959
05-31-2015, 02:03 PM
I know you're talking specifically about Texas. But don't be surprised if this changes. The PA Attorney General has started going after residents that have out of state carry permits. There is nothing wrong w/ having one. In our case Utah gives us reciprocity in more states. But residents must have a PA CHL first. There were a bunch of loop holes that they're trying to close. Like I said, don't be surprised if it changes in the future.

If they are trying to "close loopholes", it's all about the money. They realize that a CHL is a commodity and if another state has an equal product for less money, people will buy it from them. As in most (if not *all*) things in life, "follow the money"... :(

dragon813gt
05-31-2015, 02:21 PM
If they are trying to "close loopholes", it's all about the money. They realize that a CHL is a commodity and if another state has an equal product for less money, people will buy it from them. As in most (if not *all*) things in life, "follow the money"... :(

So $20 is to much money? Because that's all it costs for a PA CHL. It's not about money. It's about having a CHL for the state you reside in first.

Lonegun1894
05-31-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm was talking about states that recognize particular CHLs when I said "some place". For example, my NV non-resident permit allows me to carry in NV whereas my TX resident permit did not.

That makes a lot more sense. Thank you for clarifying.

mjwcaster
05-31-2015, 02:51 PM
I cannot find anything about TX requiring a resident to have a TX permit to carry in TX.
But that doesn't mean anything.
Short answer, contact the state and get the answer, preferably in writing.
And stay up on the issue as things change, too many firearms laws make something illegal overnight.

PA has done a lot of that lately.
Indiana made criminals out of many people some time back for a few years by removing any way to transport a handgun without a concealed carry permit.

Some states have started requiring a resident to have a resident permit to carry in that state.
So a non-resident could carry on an AZ permit for example, but a resident would have to have a resident permit.

All animals are created equal, just some are more equal than others.

This is why Utah started requiring a non-resident to have a permit from their resident state to be eligible for a Utah permit, if applicable.
IL does not have reciprocity with Utah so an IL resident does not need an IL permit to apply for a Utah permit, but residents of many other states do need their home permit first.

As far as carrying in more places, I think schools/federal gun free school zone have been mentioned.
In Utah you can carry in schools on a Utah permit, but not on any other permit, even if Utah recognizes it. At least that is their interpretation for now, no case law that I know of yet.

I would love to be able to carry at schools, with a young daughter in sports I have to disarm almost every night for some sporting event.

Also it depends on how your state recognizes out of state permits.
Indiana's CCW Faq used to state that you could carry in IN, but had to follow the laws of your issuing state.
So it read as IN allowing permitted open carry, but only if the state of your permit allowed it.

Now the actual law read nothing like that, it was just someones interpretation, but since it was posted in by the IN state police, many took that as law.

Good luck and remember all our internet advice is worth exactly what you have paid for it.

NavyVet1959
05-31-2015, 03:55 PM
So $20 is to much money? Because that's all it costs for a PA CHL. It's not about money. It's about having a CHL for the state you reside in first.

If a PA CHL is that cheap, then I don't see PA residents going out of state to get a CHL from a cost standpoint. I don't see a PA CHL giving me anything though if I would need a TX CHL in order to get a PA CHL. Well, maybe a person could apply for the PA CHL right before their out-of-state CHL expires and get around the requirement to have a valid home state CHL in order to get the PA CHL.

quickdraw66
05-31-2015, 05:51 PM

Then you missed a crucial part of where those rights were derived from. The rights in the Bill of Rights are called God given rights, or natural rights because no man on Earth has the right to take them away from you, nor give them to you. They are obtained from a higher power. Be it Nature or God depending on your beliefs.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

-Declaration of Independence

Furthermore...

http://scholarlycommons.law.wlu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3506&context=wlulr

The philosophy of natural rights was championed by such Founding Fathers as Richard Bland, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Richard Henry Lee, James Madison, George Mason, Robert Carter Nicholas, Peyton Randolph, George Washington, and George Wythe. Indeed, it would be amazing if any Revolutionary leader of the Commonwealth could be found who did not subscribe to the doctrines of natural law and right. Moreover, the doctrine was not limited to the select few who directed Virginia's destinies, but was widely held and continually expressed by the popular assemblages throughout the Commonwealth during Revolutionary days.